Is Euro Truck better than ED.

well they must mean something, otherwise why is there this list. I posted it to discuss it, as it surprised me a bit, that's why.

Well... if I opened my Steam library, which does not include ED, and launched and closed each game ... it would add even more games above ED

hence it means nothing .... except to Steam and it's users

Last edited:
Actually, when it comes to trucking - space trucking/trading, Euro Truck is more fun. The missions progress with your skill, you always have new sights to see, and once you hire new drivers, its great to see extra profit coming in. And its generally a nice, fun and relaxing experience to drive one of those trucks, and be careful to respect the rules. Weird, but true.

this from what I'm told.

think about it for a sec. in ED if you're trading you simply point yourself to your destination and alt+tab for the most part occasionally jump back in to jump to another system or slowdown to get out of SC or the pirate/enemy interdictions.

On a road on the other hand you have to make sure you don't go off-road or crash. You're more compelled to actually pay attention I suppose :p

Hell I hate to bring up RL equivalances but occasionally when I drive from home to the university I have come close to falling asleep on the road thankfully I haven't crashed but the danger is there.

Last edited:
First of all, that list is not that accurate: Witcher 3 was launched in a variety of plataforms, including in GoG without DRM (that's were I've bought my copy). FFXIV also can be played without Steam. EU4 is my favorite game of all time (800 hours and counting) and I often play off Steam for one reason or another.

Now, regarding ED number of players on Steam, well, the reason is very simple: in some places, ED is the most expensive game on that list. In Brazil, for example, ED is twice as expensive as a regular game.
And it doesn't have a year since it was officially released yet, barely half, and the biggest price reduction was -33%. With time, there will be more players. But still, in some ways, like I mentioned in a previous post, Euro Truck has parts that are more fun than ED :)

this from what I'm told.

think about it for a sec. in ED if you're trading you simply point yourself to your destination and alt+tab for the most part occasionally jump back in to jump to another system or slowdown to get out of SC or the pirate/enemy interdictions.

On a road on the other hand you have to make sure you don't go off-road or crash. You're more compelled to actually pay attention I suppose :p

Hell I hate to bring up RL equivalances but occasionally when I drive from home to the university I have come close to falling asleep on the road thankfully I haven't crashed but the danger is there.

I'd love you to post a YTube vid of you Alt+tabbing... whilst doing this... it's hot air we all know it .... so please.... stop

perhaps when you auto dock... thats it

The best thing about Euro Truck is how the other vehicles are often driven by idiots which makes it so realistic!

Last edited:
I'd love you to post a YTube vid of you Alt+tabbing... whilst doing this... it's hot air we all know it .... so please.... stop

perhaps when you auto dock... thats it

I don't think I have any proper program that can record through alt+tabbing fullscreen and as to why anyone would want to see that is beyond me.

I don't auto dock that's about as much attention I pay attention when I'm on my t9.

Euro Truck was a guilty pleasure of mine in the past. Will be getting American Truck Simulator as it's coming out soon...... It's awesome using the G27 and manually shifting though all twelve gears. I used a mod to make the loads ridiculously heavy, great fun on hills or in quarries. I just wish with this release that they make rain mean something - because with the previous physics it didn't affect handling at all, it was just purely cosmetic.

Yea, true, its a healthy number of players. Imagine how it would be with some PP improvements and tweaks, more diverse and fun missions, better exploration mechanics, planet landings ... :)

The AI's are posting again... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Euro Truck was a guilty pleasure of mine in the past. Will be getting American Truck Simulator as it's coming out soon

Yesssss!

Truckin'

Got my chips cashed in... :)

All it needs is CQC and Power Play. :)

So player numbers is the metric?

Ok.

Last year Candy Crush had 500 Million installs and 93 Million daily players (and a $568 million profit).

Is Candy Crush a better game?

By thinking only about the similar aspect between the two games, that is trucking -space trucking/trading, let's see why is Euro Truck more successful, and what could ED learn from it:

In Elite for maximum trading profit, you find a good route with a few goods, with as few jumps as possible. So you load up on goods, take off, be careful not to hit something when going out, then jump, target the next station, wait to get close enough mostly by looking at a distant circle, checking your speed and distance the same way everytime, you exit supercruise, dock, sell product, buy next product, and repeat. Except the occasional interdiction, there is no variation to this formula.

In Euro Truck 2 you earn money with missions. These missions are randomized, but based on your experience and qualifications. And reward increases the bigger the driving challenge is, some missions being emergency transport missions, and so you have to manage your character's sleep carefully, and drive without serious accidents. Others are with fragile cargo, being heavily sanctioned for any damage to your merchandise, some are simply long distance trips from one part of Europe to the other. Its satisfying when you finish such challenging and diverse missions. And this is only the gameplay aspect, ignoring that you have some nice sights on the way.

I think Elite could match this system with an improved mission system, maybe similar in some way with Euro Truck, at least regarding trading.

I would like to throw this in the mix here too, something else i noticed whilst browsing steam today.
I have a guy on my friends list, i know he bought ED when it came out on steam, he is very active in the x rebirth forums, and still plays that game regularly, and i noticed his review of ED today after over 100hrs of play, and i think this is a very fair review coming from someone who loves X-rebirth.
And x-rebirth is no where near the top 100 on the list.

Recommended
132.9 hrs on record

A game with beautiful heart. Wonderfully immersive cockpits and ship behaviour, realistically-feeling travelling system and docking.
Beautiful graphics and perfect optimalisation.

Unfortunately the game feels very empty and tedious. There are 400 billions of star systems, but I'll tell you that there ain't a single unique one.
The gameplay is a never-ending grind, you grind money to get enough money to buy the next ship, so you can grind more.

Once I bought the cobra, I stopped playing because I realised that I'll have to grind through that (largely unfinished, you need to use community tools to find deals) trading, planet scanning, criminal shooting.
You're completly free to do what you wish - of course, if you actually manage to find something interesting to do.

Powerplay is a nice idea, but it's very badly implemented.
Warzones are a stream of constantly spawning red/green ships that fight, the winner is faction with more kills at the end of week. While protection is just spamming of fetch & deliver quests.
With almost no reward.

Also, I tried to kill players numerious times. Spent hours flying around war systems - they always logoff or run away by spamming boost. Not cool. Managed to kill one player so far - he has my respect, for engaging in a fair combat and then getting murdered.

Most of the game, actually, feels like massively wasted potential, even though there's definitely a lot of effort put in this game.

Despite all of this, I still recommend this game. It's a great space simulator (not so much of a game/entertainment though), with immersive ship behaviour and beautiful cockpits that may make you busy for a very long time. It's relaxing and you feel like a little fish in (empty) space, and it's something completly different and new on the market.

The game keeps evolving through patches, so lot of this may change, and I definitely believe that it will.
I will try to play every update they release, and update this review (if I forgot - shout out and annoy me with it)."

EDIT: and yes they moved my post here to die, i know i only normally read the main discussion threads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom