Is next patch going fix profmance issue with using TMT make items

@chante Goodman Can't wait to finally be able to use the TMTK stuff without slowing the game down. A Quality of Life update has been needed for a long time.

I know you can't be specific on my answering my next question. But.. will there be more DLC for 2019? Or just QOL updates from here on out? I ask because its kinda getting close to March/April and thats been the typical release schedule for Spring DLC

Thank you for focusing on performance and quality of life updates. This is more important than new content at this point in time.

I can confirm it is true! We will be releasing quality of life updates that we hope will improve the game for everyone, specifically loading times and Thememaker's Toolkit issues. If you still have problems after, we are completely dedicated to making the game more enjoyable for everyone through the quality of life updates! We are looking at an early March window for this update, but we will have more on this soon for you all! [yesnod][heart]

Good news! [up] Thanks for letting us know [up][big grin]

I can confirm it is true! We will be releasing quality of life updates that we hope will improve the game for everyone, specifically loading times and Thememaker's Toolkit issues. If you still have problems after, we are completely dedicated to making the game more enjoyable for everyone through the quality of life updates! We are looking at an early March window for this update, but we will have more on this soon for you all! [yesnod][heart]

Ok that's interesting, but i'm being careful with being optimistic.

I'm especially curious into the "how" they did it since I thought they pretty much already did everything they could. So what has changed since then? "QOL" updates sounds alright but it's a pretty wide uptake. So I guess we'll have to see.

Sorry to ask this here but seems to be a good starting point. In regards to performance I have read the poor performance is because of everything from dx12 to just being poorly optimized. So could someone please explain to me what the true reason is? I'm going to invest in a new computer soon and would like to know what I might need. Not trying to start any kind of debate here, just need to know the facts. Thanks.

Sorry to ask this here but seems to be a good starting point. In regards to performance I have read the poor performance is because of everything from dx12 to just being poorly optimized. So could someone please explain to me what the true reason is? I'm going to invest in a new computer soon and would like to know what I might need. Not trying to start any kind of debate here, just need to know the facts. Thanks.

Reasons for why some people experience "poor performance" are all guesses. None of us here knows details why. So you won't get an answer to the "true reason" since that answer can only come from the developer. That being said, there are plenty of speculations and theories on these forums and it seems like you have read those already so no need to re-iterate it again.

In the end, with an open game like Planet Coaster with no limitations on how much you can put in your park, everyone will eventually hit a ceiling when the game becomes sluggish. No optimization in the world will take away that fact.

In the end, with an open game like Planet Coaster with no limitations on how much you can put in your park, everyone will eventually hit a ceiling when the game becomes sluggish. No optimization in the world will take away that fact.

Especially this bit is the one People tend to ignore when they talk about Game optimization.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN

I hope it fixes my lag and crashing. Planet Coaster is almost unplayable for me at the moment.

No, the UI / browsing scenery and building items is lagging a lot even with zero TMTK items and starting an empty park after the last two updates. It was so much faster before.

Happy to see that a new QoL patch is on the way. Fingers crossed that it will solve the performance issues as it prevents me from playing the game at this moment.

I wonder if they will also take the time to add some other QoL / requests while they're at it? Such as:

Simultaneous station load / unload
Paths that force terrain to conform to a hill (in addition to the forcing terrain flat introduced recently)
Double stations for separate entrance / exit
Unification of the coaster menu where you select the manufacturer track and then the train on it rather than having 5 or 6 entries in the menu for essentially the same thing (doubtful as the research system relies on this) and so on...
Park maps and Onride photos (I know, this is a new thing not QOL... We can dream!)
Queues no longer emptying when a ride breaks down - introduction of a new tier of breakdown that does not require full ride closure

Or if this is literally an optimisation pass to fix the TMTK introduced issues..

Wonder if there will also be a DLC too?

I wouldn't count on that.

DLC hasn't been announced as well. Which would be a good thing, as that meant they really made sure there where enough resources to work on this upgrade.

I think this would only be a performance and bug fixes update.

No, the UI / browsing scenery and building items is lagging a lot even with zero TMTK items and starting an empty park after the last two updates. It was so much faster before.

Happy to see that a new QoL patch is on the way. Fingers crossed that it will solve the performance issues as it prevents me from playing the game at this moment.

Not sure why you quoted my message and then answered with a totally unrelated answer. What I said in the quote holds true regardless of if there are any bugs/optimization issues with the UI. This discussion has been going on longer than the last two updates.

Just for the record, I don't see any slow UI on my end after the first open of one menu. Then it is about the same speed as it always has been.

Im not one to defend frontier on the whole i admit it. Im more a person of credit where credit is due. but this optimization thing is something i will say is just not there fault. the definition of optimisation is "the action of making the best or most effective use of a situation or resource." and I think they do a very good job of this in game. I think what would quell this discussion is a way to show just how many polys are on screen at any moment in any park or ride. and compare them with your current gpu's rendering ability. This games models and rides are some of the most intricate and detailed i have ever seen. and although the TMT is lacking as in refinement and detailed info. It is still down to the models and posters ability to optimize there work. I also think a way to make things smoother for certain parks is to allow in game scaling, as I have seen people use hundreds of small roof polys to make a large roof , where as one large poly would do the same job and save hundreds of extra rendering of polys. Im not saying it can not be improved but to expect unreasonable performance from certain hardware is not fair. Its like racing the dakar rally in a smart car. you aint going to win.

Not sure why you quoted my message and then answered with a totally unrelated answer. What I said in the quote holds true regardless of if there are any bugs/optimization issues with the UI. This discussion has been going on longer than the last two updates.

Just for the record, I don't see any slow UI on my end after the first open of one menu. Then it is about the same speed as it always has been.

I'm not sure how your game runs, but UI is slow since the release. It indeed gas some kind of lag sometimes and when scrolling through item list, I usually have to wait a bit for stuff to be loaded and shown... Not dramatic, it doesn't make game unplayable, but it's a bit annoying sometimes. And shows that there is a room for improvements regarding the optimization. Also not mentioning controls of the UI. Parkitect showed that they rly tried to get it right and made big changes throughout the beta stage and I think they did it. Not everything is perfect, but like it more than pc/rct3 controls

Optimization does not mean that the game will yield high frames per second. If you look at what the game achieves, you could argue the game is quite well optimized, also for current hardware; the game is capable of utilizing multiple cores and multi-threading for instance. The TMTK does affect the loading times in a rather unpleasant way, making them a lot longer than they should be. The transitions between the scenery and building menus also seem to be affected by the TMTK. Note that this is likely a bug, which might or might not get fixed eventually.

Planet Coaster does miracles, that is right, but part of optimization is also designing the game for current HW. Honestly, would you say the same about the game using 3D graphics, while 3D accelerators weren´t on the market and the game wouldn´t run or if yes, it would run horribly, that it is well optimized for what the game is cappable of? Don´t think so.

Also, I would forgive it more if it at least was designed to really use current tech (such as native DX12 support). But no, it rly isn´t using all it can and while I can understand why, it doesn´t mean I´m allright with it.

Also, I don´t think we (or at least me) want the game to "yield high frames per second", however, it´s not acceptable that it´s not playable. And it becames unenjoyable very soon. And I can for instance delete all the scenery, close the park and get rid of guests, but it will not get better again as one might expect. That´s another hint that there is something wrong with optimization, otherwise it would improve again after I kick out guests and delete scenery pices...

Well it's qite simple as it takes up to a couple of seconds to load the buildings or scenery items when browsing the items and switching panels. Loading of these items hasn't been the fastest by default but it's way worse after the last two updates, even with no TMTK items in my library.

Loading times of items have been increased by at least 100% percent making it a really laggy UI. Don't know if you play Cities Skylines but that game has way way more items and they load instantly.

I'm not asking for an instant load of all items but it was really faster before and I'm spending useless time waiting for the items to show in my menu. It slows down the building time and just isn't a great experience.

I'm even running the game on an SSD so that's not the case either. Many people have been complaining about this and it definitly is an issue.

I guess it depends on how big your file is or how many toolkit items you have. My menus all take over 2 minutes to open and populate: building, scenery, toolkit, and save.

Also, I would forgive it more if it at least was designed to really use current tech (such as native DX12 support). But no, it rly isn´t using all it can and while I can understand why, it doesn´t mean I´m allright with it.

How many times are we going to go over this? When this game was designed DX12 was not a thing and wasn't just until recently Windows 10 became the majority OS.

Most of the hybrid games where you get both 11 and 12 the 12 version runs worse than the 11 one. The game has to be designed for that platform from the beginning to see true results. Now we are talking a whole new game instead.

Top Bottom