Is Update 10 bad news for consoles?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So, what you are proclaiming is that, due to the underwhelming response to the launch of EDO on PC, that the PC players are smart enough to resist purchasing the expansion, but that the 10 million or so new generation console players are champing on the bit, desperate to buy an expansion that 100's of millions of smart PC players are rejecting?

Edit: Clarity

That's a bit of a leap you've made there.

Ok, so basically the answer is you don't know and it's just supposition in your part. Got it.

No, we might do some educated guesses.

The number of gamepass subscribers is more or less public since MS likes to brag about it and the list of XB games included in the GamePass is also public
No suppositions involved here.

Personally I think they should not release oddyysey fro consoles all together but give us the vehicles and make multi crew like it is for oddyysey.

Deleted member 182079

D
So far, my initial tests have seen a noticeable improvement in performance. Concourses especially seen to have benefitted, but my first ground CZ test also had far fewer framerate drops, resulting in an overall more stable and enjoyable experience.

Not bad for what was probably only 2-3 weeks of dev time.
Me on the other hand, I've barely noticed any improvements while playing for a few hours last night. It's playable for me, sure, but frames still vary wildly, they still drop below 60fps on-foot more often than not (unless I'm in a barren, featureless environment or look at the floor/sky, sometimes not even that), well into the low 30s.

To me, the patch felt more like a hotfix, which largely addressed a small number of recently added bugs, and as per established FDev tradition introduced a few new ones, that we'll probably have to endure until the next patch. They also updated some of the paintjobs, but as with anything they do these days, it's not up to a satisfactory level, but yeah they made some changes alright.

Based on it focusing on performance I have to say I expected more, certainly more than framerate increases in the low single digits I barely notice (if there at all) in certain areas (namely settlements), but of course based on past patches prepared for disappointment all the same. It also feels like we're reaching a 'ceiling' in terms of optimisation as each and every update had minor improvements at best, at least for me. I'm playing the game and still enjoying it mostly, but I'm growing tired of this Groundhog Day situation.

These last few days/weeks have been kinda weird. Total radio silence, then a surprise patch announcement, I thought 'hey maybe they let actions speak instead now', but nope. Just more of the same, just less communication like back in ye olde days again.

To console players I will just say this - if Frontier doesn't make that decision for you by making a clear announcement, you'll have to draw your own conclusions yourself instead, and you have three options really, 1) either read between the lines of silence/non-statements and accept a console version is either not coming at all, or much much delayed, and prepared to wait it out depending on your patience levels - 2) get EDO on PC if you're desperate enough to play it (imo it's not worth going the extra mile for this DLC, even if it's not as bad as it was last year) or 3) just keep playing Horizons like a single player game that won't get further DLCs, in lieu of that just play other games instead (that's probably where I'd end up personally).

The PlayStation 5 has sold 17.85 million units in 14 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 11.82 million units.

That's a potential sales pool of almost 30 million CMDRs all looking for a new experience - maybe that's Odyssey?

Odyssey has disappointed sales-wise (how many of the PC sales went 'free' to LEPers? LEP money spent long ago). It needs to start generating sales, so that Frontier can continue developing and supporting the game.
It won't start generating sales. This is an older game now in a category that's not popular anymore. Gamers are damned picky about their games, as they should be. Look at the dismal sales of Battlefield 2042 which could have been a blockbuster but for the terrible direction the devs took the game and the bugs that got past any testing, and gamers want no part of it.

And that game is in one of the most popular game categories. Good FPS games sell well.

Spaceship-flying games do not anymore. They don't have mass appeal. And because Odyssey is still suffering from performance issues it hurts it even more.

That's just my opinion :)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Engaged with your post and taken it seriously you mean?
No changed what I said/asked around to be about something else.
But yes they have previously been affecting staff, and no Frontier didn't shut them down

Strange... same way that Frontier replies (many times) to the customers. :)
How to avoid questions 101. :p
I didn't avoid the question. My answer hadn't changed. I showed you what my answer was.

If you can't see the irony of you last comment to me, then there is no hope for Frontier.

The vast majority of these threads that I've participated in have resulted in myself and/or others recognising that "Console, When?" is not a question we can reasonably expect to be answered right now but "what is needed from the PC version for console to be considered viable" is.

Knowing that performance target would also help PC CMDRs decide if that performance is worth waiting for or if they would rather upgrade / move on.

Information == Ability to make choices.
Sure, but people would still ask how long it's going to take Frontier to get there. And people will still get differing performance on machines, as I previously said.

How much longer can Frontier throw free development effort at the PC version of Odyssey without releasing on gaming's primary retail environment (Console)?
3 platforms sell more than 1. Bit of a skewed comparison. Though Elite on a Switch would be cool.

Are they still planning a console release? We don't know that, we just know that it's put on hold pending review, and pending some vague, unquantifiable goal being reached.
We know that they said they were.

That is all we know. You assuming that a delay means they've decided to drop the game on console is one that only can come from yourself. If you want to believe it's been canned then that's up to you. I choose to believe what I was last told.

If you can't see the irony of you last comment to me, then there is no hope for Frontier.
Of course there is hope for Frontier, Nothing to do with that. :)
'Consoles' is the major discussion here.
They (and you) won't define console, because they can't commit the release for ALL consoles, so it's easy say: Committed to console.

My opinion: They'll release only of the new gen.

It won't start generating sales. This is an older game now in a category that's not popular anymore. Gamers are damned picky about their games, as they should be. Look at the dismal sales of Battlefield 2042 which could have been a blockbuster but for the terrible direction the devs took the game and the bugs that got past any testing, and gamers want no part of it.

And that game is in one of the most popular game categories. Good FPS games sell well.

Spaceship-flying games do not anymore. They don't have mass appeal. And because Odyssey is still suffering from performance issues it hurts it even more.

That's just my opinion :)

Key word in there being "Good" in front of FPS I think. No reason it shouldn't be though but as someone else mentioned, perhaps the design needs iterating upon.

I'd counter your point about spaceship-flying by saying that flight simulation is quite popular on XBox :)

That is all we know. You assuming that a delay means they've decided to drop the game on console is one that only can come from yourself. If you want to believe it's been canned then that's up to you. I choose to believe what I was last told.

That's the point isn't it. The "details and dates change" while they "concentrate on the core experience" is so vague that 7 months on, it no longer holds any meaning.

'Consoles' is the major discussion here.
They (and you) won't define console, because they can't commit the release for ALL consoles, so it's easy say: Committed to console.

Yea, but consoles is a side goal for Elite since well, Consoles version failed raise to the level of popularity of the PC version

In Hindsight,
  • Elite was released on PC, 10 months later was released on XB.
  • Horizons was released on PC, 6 months later on XB, 18 months later on PS (Elite+Horizons)
  • EDO was released on PC, and now 8 months later there is still no release date for Consoles.

No changed what I said/asked around to be about something else.
But yes they have previously been affecting staff, and no Frontier didn't shut them down
I didn't change what you said. You inferred that a toxic forum could make Frontier employees wellbeing suffer so I asked it that was the case.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom