General It's generally significantly quicker to log out and back in again than walk from your ship to the concourse.

The fact that several players have started recommending this to me instead of holding SHIFT + W an RSI-inducing amount to cross the dock is perhaps a sign that we should be able to do one or more of the following:

a) Collect leg missions directly through the ship UI, saving the disembark for checking out shops and selling to the bartender - things which are done at a lower frequency. We can hand leg missions in through the ship UI, just let us pick them up there too.

b) Let us skip the hangar walk. I don't hate the concourses themselves, they're glorified menus but mercifully compact, pretty, have ads and flavour, plus you can see other players in them from time to time. Have disembark take you directly into the concourse and have a hangar walk as an optional interaction from the lifts. We get to look at our ships a bunch on planets anyway.

c) Add an auto-run key. At the very least don't make me hold W down every single time I undock. At least in supercruise you can set your throttle then alt-tab or just sit back and contemplate how much of your life you're wasting. David Braben, my left hand needs your help.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear them say they were omitting ship interiors because walking through them would get old (it absolutely would, other games have convinced me of this already). One of the rare development decisions Fdev have made since 2016 that I'm wholeheartedly on board with... but then they effectively require me to walk the length of my ships every time I land anyway... so what? It was less about it 'getting old' and more about them not having had the time or resources? We added all the requisite tedium but none of the assets.

The truth is, walking through the inside of ships, or around them in the docks. Or adding paint jobs or decals, is all about pretending its a real world. many want this... a game so complete you cant tell it from Reality... and some only want to rush to the end, swear they won by some odd reason, and then complain there's not enough to do....lol been playing games for 20 years now and get a laugh out of how different players are.

But but but ...... IMMERSIONS!

next you'll be saying you don't want to walk all the way through your ship anymore, and we know that's not true ...

Connections to ship; it is your ship, and the interior has been selected by you. It is your home among the stars.

Connections to landing pad; none.

Walking across a Large pad to get into your ship; "Holy crap my ship is big!".

Walking across a Large pad to teleport into your cockpit seat; "Does teleporting in a chair need to take this much time?"

Leave it to to not implement walking where nearly everyone wanted it, and also implement it somewhere tangentially connected to what people wanted, but that no one cares for specifically.

I swear, must have late night brainstorm sessions on how to invert and ruin what CMDRs want.

I want an Apex shuttle cart, to come and collect me from the front of my ship and drive me to the elevator.
Station told me the ground crew have been dispatched, I'm still waiting.

is all about pretending its a real world.
I also enjoy pretending gameworlds are real. Pretty sure most people who dig Elite are in it in part for 'immersion' on some level, it's a space sim after all. Thing is, immersion =/= realism and QOL shouldn't be a dirty word in a videogame no matter how diegetic you're trying to make it. Holographic HUD? Great. Cohesive and concrete game rules? Fabulous. Deep, rich lore? Amazing. Being forced to do a completely arbitrary static action literally thousands of times because some macaroon is incapable of suspending their disbelief for a second? With zero chance of variation in the process? Nah, not into that. TBQH if anything that takes me out of the experience, either because I'm bored, furious or I've alt-tabbed to watch cat videos.

The irony is Elite is and has always been riddled with stuff that messes with realism - incoherent rules, fourth-wall breaking messages, inconsistencies and discrepancies across the board, arbitrary gamey checklists and handwavium nonsense. It mainly seems like people get up in arms when realism is threatened by QOL, even if it's QOL of the type available on a Nokia 3310.

The fact that several players have started recommending this to me instead of holding SHIFT + W an RSI-inducing amount to cross the dock is perhaps a sign that we should be able to do one or more of the following:

a) Collect leg missions directly through the ship UI, saving the disembark for checking out shops and selling to the bartender - things which are done at a lower frequency. We can hand leg missions in through the ship UI, just let us pick them up there too.

b) Let us skip the hangar walk. I don't hate the concourses themselves, they're glorified menus but mercifully compact, pretty, have ads and flavour, plus you can see other players in them from time to time. Have disembark take you directly into the concourse and have a hangar walk as an optional interaction from the lifts. We get to look at our ships a bunch on planets anyway.

c) Add an auto-run key. At the very least don't make me hold W down every single time I undock. At least in supercruise you can set your throttle then alt-tab or just sit back and contemplate how much of your life you're wasting. David Braben, my left hand needs your help.
Would probably already help a lot just having multiple entry/exit zones for large pads (3 on each side instead of 1 at the end).
Also having a terminal in front of an elevator (at the landing pad side) may be useful.

Top Bottom