Update Journal docs for v3.4

Hi,

Can I assume that v25 change list contains everything that was in the unreleased v24?

Thanks
Clicker

From the changelog in the doc / pdf, v24 is where they changed SystemFaction / StationFaction to be an object {"Name":...,"FactionState":...}, where it was previously a string.

Is there any chance we could have an event for successful completion of a xeno scan. It seems that the materialCollected event does not always happen. If it could also give us a numeric id representing the ship logogram or the ship type that would be nice.

Issues with player journal messages since the last update

There seem to be issues with various journal messages of selling exploration data and purchased goods to stations. AveragePricePaid is indicated to be 0 for goods purchased at other stations in the same session:
JSON:
{ "timestamp":"2019-04-27T14:27:07Z", "event":"MarketSell", "MarketID":3224011520, "Type":"terrainenrichmentsystems", "Type_Localised":"Land Enrichment Systems", "Count":106, "SellPrice":5684, "TotalSale":602504, "AvgPricePaid":0 }

When selling exploration data to the station the Systems array is sometimes empty. In some of those occasions the Discovered array is not blank, in other occasions it is.

With these phenomena proper tracking of BGS contributions are not possible.

Hi,

I have a small Suggestion. If it is possible, could you please add also the localized names to outfitting.json similar to market.json? It would be incredibly helpful!
If this is not the right place for suggestions like these, please (any CMDR) could direct me to the correct place? Or if there is some source where I can already get the localized names of outfitting, please kindly let me know too.

Thanks in advance :)

Is there an On/Off for the journal??

Getting really tired of the pathetic aka very poor use of hard drive access from the journal that is causing video stutter

Say what you will, I like the journal, but there is no valid reason for it to cause so much wasted time and its little contribution to stutter...
Considering I use striped raid ssd's it should not be noticeable...but sadly it is very noticeable..

It would be greatly appreciated if you could at least apply the option to choose verbose or basic or minimal...
Serious...I have no desire to even open a journal after some exploration and see literally thousands of 100% useless lines about asteroid belts.
Either make them have a value, or remove them or come up with some abbreviated code to indicate you scanned 30 in a system...which I did not do, nor will I ever. it would be nice to not see them popping up over and over and even better to not waste time accessing my drives 30 times in less than a second to write this in a log...some actual thought as to what is going into the log and on my screen would be appreciated.
Between this and the continual nav panel lockup, I seem to be spending more and more time killing the game and restarting than ever before.

Last edited:
Getting really tired of the pathetic aka very poor use of hard drive access from the journal that is causing video stutter

Say what you will, I like the journal, but there is no valid reason for it to cause so much wasted time and its little contribution to stutter...
Considering I use striped raid ssd's it should not be noticeable...but sadly it is very noticeable..
Video stutter due to hard drive access of the journal? I not sure you are aware of what happens in your hard drive in an average second of activity. Journal HDD activities should not be detectable in computer video speed even if you have a nearly full, really fragmented HDD used for continuous swapping.
Now if you use SSDs in a raid it is more so. (Seek times virtually out of the picture, even reallocation to minimize overwrite wear should be insignificant for a workload of this scale.) Just a sidenote: RAID does not necessarily speed ssds up, it depends on the controller / interface, the raid level and other elements of the configuration and software environment.

Serious...I have no desire to even open a journal after some exploration and see literally thousands of 100% useless lines about asteroid belts.
Either make them have a value, or remove them or come up with some abbreviated code to indicate you scanned 30 in a system...which I did not do, nor will I ever.
Open journal after explorations and find some events you not seek? Are you browsing journal messages manually? While you can do it, it is not how you are supposed to use the journal. There are tons of useful applications that extract and filter the data you are most interested in.

it would be nice to not see them popping up over and over
Popping up over and over where? Now are you redirecting raw jsonl messages to windows popups?

some actual thought as to what is going into the log and on my screen would be appreciated.
Journal is actually a community requested feature and much thought is dedicated to what features should be in it. There are tons of further feature requests for journal and current features opened up a whole new universe of new features and third party applications that are now widely used by players and enhancing their experience significantly. In proper configurations there should be no perceivable performance penalty of journals, removing features would disable existing software features used by numerous users, inconsistency of journal content of the user base should open a pandora's box of new errors and incompatibilities.

I am a computer programmer and tech, I have my own program that accesses the journals..
As for fragged...serious...I have more than enough experience...say over 30 years...my drives are quite healthy..
as for the cause..i am a tech, I literally watch the game pause for milliseconds while the game writes...using various programs to monitor the access ...

I only even mentioned it all because this last update has been atrocious and is now affecting other things such as this.

Do everyone a favor and don't bother insulting people because of what you believe without any proof or knowledge of what another person is saying.

Soo tired of forum trolls...
just as easy to block....that means me, but please block me, I'd appreciate it a lot if you didn't waste my time or rather your or anyones time responding where a response is not needed...it'll make your day smoother.
everyone with a pc nowadays believes he is an expert

Last edited:
Could we please get the type and number of POIs on a planet after a scan? (Ie, Biological:4,Geological:20,Human:1, etc) ?

General suggestion (to improve FSS speed, and to leave a bit more for the SS), can we just get type of POIs on a planet after an FSS scan, and leave resolving the number of POIs to the Surface Scan?

I am a computer programmer and tech, I have my own program that accesses the journals..
Hi fellow computer programmer. Have you tried closing your program, to see if it changes anything? That’s what I’d do in such a situation.

as for the cause..i am a tech, I literally watch the game pause for milliseconds while the game writes...using various programs to monitor the access ...

I only even mentioned it all because this last update has been atrocious and is now affecting other things such as this.
Is the problem something that existed before the last update? If not, you definitely should report it via Frontier’s bug report site.

In fact, it might be worth it to report even if it has existed for a long time. Explain the symptoms as precisely as you can (“video stutter” — do you mean visual stutter in the game, or stutter in a video recording app?) rather than concentrating on what you think might be the cause. (And yes, observations from disk access and CPU usage monitoring apps are useful, too. Describe in the report what monitoring apps you use or, if you wrote them yourself, exactly what they do. Being technical helps debug problems.)

As for fragged...serious...I have more than enough experience...say over 30 years...my drives are quite healthy..
I did not say your drives are fragmented. I am sure you will notice if you re-read.

Now I see where I was mistaken. I am an ordinary human and i just cannot notice a pause for milliseconds. It is fitting that I am first labelled by someone a troll who is way superior. That is also a reason why I did not realize the obvious when playing Elite with the decade old processor of mine.
Do everyone a favor and don't bother insulting people because of what you believe without any proof or knowledge of what another person is saying.
It was not my intention to insult anyone, never been. I still cannot find anything remotely insulting in my post, but my dull senses are probably at fault here again, so I humbly apologize.
Also I am grateful for your kind guidance in your capacity of a technical expert and as a fellow human.

Soo tired of forum trolls...
just as easy to block....that means me, but please block me, I'd appreciate it a lot if you didn't waste my time or rather your or anyones time responding where a response is not needed...it'll make your day smoother.
Why so offended? You're the one coming here ranting about the log causing video stutter, where no such reports have been filed previously, and then you proceed to label a troll anyone who questions your conclusions. There was no insulting or trolling. Also claiming to be a "tech" doesn't magically make you right about everything.

A forum is meant primarly for discussion. If you don't want that, don't use it.

Just a quick note on the potential performance issues, I'm also not particularly happy that everything is dumped to journal files (they can get pretty big now). I haven't done any testing on this, but overall Windows has been known to have performance issues when there are many simultaneous disk accesses. And given the complex beast it is, there are literally hundreds of processes and services all doing their own thing in the background these days.

My personal suggested preference in the early days of the Log (yes, before the Journal) was to dump the data out via a UDP broadcast on the local net. One big benefit of this being that any third-party apps could run on another PC or device. In retrospect that might have issues spamming a network, so the better suggestion might be a simple plugin API where programs can register a callback whenever an event occurs. This would allow the community to write a disk logger, a network broadcaster, or hook directly in, as the preference might be.

Alas, the ship has sailed and we'll just have to continue on with the Journal, which does have the big benefit of being able to post-process events if one has forgotten to start apps and/or said apps crash at some point. Overall it is an absolutely fantastic feature, so thank you very very much to FDev for having implemented and maintaining the journal, allowing for a very rich ecosystem of third party supporting apps for this fantastic game.

As for the suggestion to turn it off for people who don't use it, would it be possible to redirect it to the Windows equivalent of /dev/null as a workaround?

One could make a ram disk and make a link of C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous pointing there. That way the journal disk writes could be prevented but journal files could be still utilized (or discarded) in any way.
Accessing journal via UDP is also available as an added service, not an alternative one.
I agree that receiving FSS scan events and some scan events in an array (instead of consecutive messages in rapid succession) could be useful, but I suspect there is a technical challenge in delaying message content, even if the delay time is rather negligible.
Changing / various verbosity levels for the journal however could present a user support nightmare (for 3rd party devs) and a plethora of compatibility issues to deal with.

Top Bottom