Journey to the known unbeknownst records of the galaxy

Thank you :)
I have already two more entries, and I'm on my way to another one. But I was a bit occupied with RL. Also, today the EDSM-file I work with was updated and thus I have to re-calculate everything to find the newest (not already visited records).

Right now my program is going through the newest EDSM bodies.file. For each of the over 80 Million entries I'm doing some calculations, the values for each characteristic are compared for each entry with the record values and I need to check quite some other stuff to not run into errors, because the data is not always perfect. This takes a lot of time; several hours on my 2012 laptop.

In principle I could just go through the shorter "the last 7 days data", BUT some old entries are updated and I don't know if it will occur in this file AND for some of the stuff I need the information about all bodies in each system. The latter however is difficult, since this information is all over in the data-dump. So a body that appears within the first couple of lines of the file may be in a system that has more entries towards the end of said file. Thus I have to go through the entire file each time.

In addition comes that I have to manually check for certain entries. The latter is mostly for non-unique records which I want to look at anyway and binary systems in which both bodies hold one and the same record. So the latter is not unique, but since two bound bodies share that record I decided to count it as such.

Anyway, the next three entries are still with the EDSM data from 2019-05-03 and afterwards all records were updated with the file from 2019-05-18.

With Blooe Bloae ZE-A g8 B I finally reached a body that holds a record (actually two, but more on that later), which is the sole reason that I am undertaking this endeavour.

I've mentioned before that the question about the velocity of a planet in this thread made me think how that can be calculated. There it is proposed to basically use the circumference of the orbit and the orbital period and assume a circular orbit. For the vast majority of bodies this should give a sufficient answer and I will come back to that later.

But then again … Damn! I'm a physicist! This approximate solution left me deeply unsatisfied … and very curious about how fast this planet will be in its perihelion.

So … here we go again ;)

The orbital velocity < v > in any given point < r > along the orbit can be calculated via the vis-viva equation:

in which < a > is the semi-major axis and < µ > the standard gravitational parameter. With < a > and the orbital period < T > given, the latter can easily be calculated:

Now we just need to know < r > when it's minimal. Fortunately Johannes Kepler has figured that out for us:

in which < p > is the semi-latus rectum and with a given semi-major axis < a > and eccentricity < epsilon > of the orbit is given by:

Thus we get:

With all this the maximum velocity of Blooe Bloae ZE-A g8 B can be calculated to be ca. 721.866 km/s. This is the highest maximum velocity of all A (Blue-White) Stars as of 3305-05-13 … yeah, I'm a bit behind with the reporting.

So, now back to the approximation. Here I describe how to better approximate the circumference of an elliptic orbit. This leads to an average velocity of ca. 719.285 km/s. This is also a record for this type of star.
Since the eccentricity of this orbit is close to zero, calculating with a circle would not lead to too big of an error.

I have the impression that these two (highest average and highest maximum orbital velocity) always occur at the same time. But I haven't checked that so far for all body types. In case I confirm this, I will strike the latter from the list of characteristics I'm interested in.

To close this entry, a photo of this (otherwise unremarkable) star:

Ah yes, it orbits a black hole. But physics is broken in that system, because I could NOT see it and avoided a collision with it by accident ;)

This one is easy … and NOT a record. I went to Blue Bliae NQ-Y d1 A 1 just to check out how it looks if a Class V gas giant is just 1 ls away from the point of entry. This is a flyby photo and I took heat damage nonetheless:

The gas giant is inside the exclusion zone of a White dwarf … hence the heat damage during the flyby. After cooling down (and extinguishing the fire in my cockpit) I approached it again, while staying in its shadow, to check if i can map it. … I could :) .
I also find the distinct non-sperical shape interesting … but again … none of that is actually a record … Just cool (or hot) to be there.

Flyae Gree RL-Z c2-3 5 was the last record holding body I've visited before the data got updated (and processed by my program). This planet is remarkable for … øhm … actually doing as little as possible ;) . As of 3305-05-18 it has the longest rotational period of all Class II gas giants. It needs a full 279705.07851851854 days (approx. 766.3 earth years or ca. 909.3 of its own years) to rotate around its axis. That means everyone will have a certain age in years on this planet which is not too different from earth age, while for the entire lifetime staying one day old … tihihihi.

And here it is:

On the left, a bit up, its binary partner can be seen.

Thinking about that I wonder how the weather on such a planet should be. Cloud stripes can clearly be seen, but … mhmmm … I know too little about atmospheres to speculate on what would happen, if the day-night shift is mainly governed by the motion of the planet around its star.

Thinking about that I wonder how the weather on such a planet should be. Cloud stripes can clearly be seen, but … mhmmm … I know too little about atmospheres to speculate on what would happen, if the day-night shift is mainly governed by the motion of the planet around its star.

What is it’s orbital period? I presume it isn’t going to be that brief... :)

With little rotation to speak of, there would likely be minimal coriolis effect. I’d suggest that there wouldn’t be recognisable bands on such a giant and very likely none of the swirls of pressure systems that are visible in places.

But stranger things have happened :) I seem to recall no one expected Neptune to have the extreme wind speeds that it does either :)

It's orbital period is somewhat close to Earth's with 307.6 days.
I thought that maybe inner heating could maybe lead to such weather patterns. But then again, I don't know about that either. The surface temperature is also just 203 K.

I wondered about internal heating, but wasn’t sure if it would produce enough energy to create convection cells and winds strong enough for significant meteorological patterns: 203K seems low, but not so low that there wouldn’t be some scope for it.

The orbital period might produce enough temperature differential over the hemispheres for something to be visible, but I’d have no idea what, especially given it’s ludicrous rotation period :) Whilst I know something of Earth Meteorology, speculating about an edge case exo-planet feels rather sketchy :D

Thuecho SV-B d14-51 ABC 12 is as of 3305-05-19 the Gas giant with ammonia-based life with the highest gravity of 17.19517125029226 g.

If these lifeforms ever develop to a space faring society let's be friends with them. Otherwise they will crush us, since they've developed on such a high gravity world.

Anyway, here it rises over a one of its moons … the one with the pink surface, close to its outer ring.

The next record holding body is not far … hence I move on at once.

Myivoea FG-Y e0 C is in so far remarkable, that it has with a value of 89.985291 degrees the highest orbital inclination of all the (so far known) White Dwarf (DAB) Stars. Unfortunately that doesn't show in the Orrery since it is more than 85 kls away from the point of entry into the system.

And here it is:

The system itself is with 80 bodies the fullest system I've encountered so far in my travels. But that's not a record.

This entry will be a bit … technical.

Nyauthai AA-A h0 A holds two records. First it has the largest semi major axis for a B (Blue-White super giant) Star with a value of 51478664314880.0 meters (ca. 344.1 au).

I now wanted to know what the circumference of this orbit is. An exact solution exists. The problem is it is an integral without an analytical solution. And since I intended to do this calculation for all (discovered) bodies in the galaxy calculating said integral would have slowed down the already slow search algorithm even more.

Fortunately had Srinivasa Ramanujan discovered a fantastically good approximation for the circumference of an ellipse. He published it in his paper "Modular equations and approximations to π" in Quarterly Journal of Mathematics, XLV, 1914, 350 -- 372 (paragraph 16).
So the circumference can be approximated:

View attachment 131719

in which

View attachment 131720

with < a > as the semi major axis and < b > the semi minor axis. The latter is not available in the EDSM data but can easily be calculated since the (I think linear) eccentricity (epsilon) of the orbit is available:

View attachment 131721

Thus the circumference of the orbit of this star is ca. 323110720 Mm. This is a record for this type of star.

Well, in the Orrery that doesn't look spectacular, neither does the given star itself if you look at it:

View attachment 131722

It is a super giant but without a reference it's just another glowing orb in the sky.
But wait, there is another blue-white super giant star just around the corner … well, seen on a galactic scale because it is still 372,485 ls away. And that one has a smaller O star as a really close companion.

So I flew there … and O! M! F! G! … Super giants are huge indeed! Here I am still more than 17 kls away. The little dot I've selected is the companion star which is eight times larger than Sol.

View attachment 131723

So … I got as close as 111 ls to the O star … and … … …

View attachment 131724

… … … I agree that this sight deserves the entry in the GMP. Even though it has nothing at all to do with the intention of this thread ;)

Btw. usually I fly through the gap between close stars … and I regularly fry my ship because of that … but then again, that's what the AFMU's are there for, arent't they. However, this time I was not at all tempted to fly between these two … and not for the first time I thought about sacrificing a bit jump range to install heat sinks for exactly such stunts.

@Heavy Johnson: As said above, if you want to use images to update / extend the GMP, feel free to do so. But please say so in this thread, so that I know when I'm getting rich and famous I can feel important ;)

Can such integral be approximated with a Taylor Series*?

*By this I mean transform the function inside the integral to a Taylor Series and then integrate that.

Last edited:
Oh, certainly. I've thought about that but far less steps are involved when calculating the circumference with Ramanujan's equation. Especially considering how small the error of the result of this equation is (for eccentricities below 0.88 the error is smaller than ten to the minus nine and the largest error is smaller than 0.00161 for epsilon = 1), a Taylor series is not the way to go.

But I honestly appreciate all input. I make a lot of errors and my ideas are often not optimal. Just by discussing ideas this can be discovered :)

Lysoogio AA-A h0 B tried to kill me! More on that below.

With a value of two to the ten (tihihi) seconds as the light flies in vacuum, is it the B (Blue-White super giant) Star with the shortest distance from the point of entry into the system.

On this picture you can see it:

The actual point of arrival is the "small" Wolf-Rayet Star to the left … well small and small … it's radius is almost ten times larger than Sol's.
The record holding star is on this picture 1250 ls away and I still had to zoom out to get everything into the picture.

Anyway, the star of interest was more than 1000 ls away when I arrived. Nonetheless, my ship got totally fried. I got fire and warnings all over the place. The thrusters malfunctioned. Fortunately I had just repaired the FSD so I didn't drop out of SC. Once more I'm thinking about getting those heat sinks.

But was it worth it one may ask? Beside the fact that this question will give you confused looks from void-travelers and explorers is the answer: OF COURSE! Just look at the above picture. Such views (and experiences) every couple of thousand jumps are why I'm out here.

This record popped up in my list after the update of the EDSM data at the 18th of May. Since it was discovered already in 2016 I assume that the category of "B (Blue-White super giant) Star" is new in the data. There is no picture so far for it on EDSM and I can't remember seeing it when I figured all body-categories out in April 3305.

I had to "go backwards" a bit to get there. But that is nothing compared to my next target that suddenly popped up after the update, too. I have to fly (back) to the Solitude Void and then back again to where I approximately am right now afterwards … but well … the things one does are not necessarily logic.
The point is, it will be a while before I'll arrive. Especially considering that I'll be on vacation, too soon … 13 years waiting for TOOL to be on tour again! No game is worth NOT going to the Berlin concert!
So it will be a while before this thread will get an update.

Last edited:
I reached it in time; Fleckeou UH-T b37-0 B.

This happened also because of your help. Thank you for that.

Nonetheless, this star made me to fly a detour of over 25 kly. And for what? For this:

You see, Fleckeou UH-T b37-0 B is, with a value of 89.999527 degrees, supposed to have the highest orbital orbital inclination for a M (Red giant) Star.
But as you can see in the Orrery picture is it in the same plane as the the main star … obviously one would say. Since this system has no planets I wonder how the invariable plane can be defined?
Shouldn't it than be the plane in which the orbit of these stars are? But obviously it isn't.

And the curious thing is, that the main star ALSO has an orbital inclination of approximately 90 degrees!
What is going on here? Is the stellar forge broken or does all this make sense?
If the former, then I can't trust any of the orbital inclination values and would just throw this characteristic out. Even though it may be right in many cases.

I would appreciate input regarding this issue.

But wait! There's more! For that you have to look at the object of this post:

Does this look like a "Red giant" to you? With a radius smaller (!) than the main star which is a "Red dwarf"?

Right! That's what I thought.

More on that topic (incl. an analysis of the radii-distribution of red giant stars) can (later today) be found in the thread I've opened specifically made for that.
I really would appreciate it if you have thoughts or ideas regarding the size-of-red-giants issue and share it there :)

For now I've decided to count "red giants" just as a giant if the radius is at least five times larger than Sol's.

So, this long detour may have been meaningless, regarding the actual goal of it. But I've learned how to utilize neutron stars for boosting the jump range and I learned about the radii distribution of red "giants". An issue I likely would have run into later anyway.

I also will keep it for archival reasons.

I think what's happening with the inclination, is that the "plane" for the star system is determined by the initial proto-planetary disc. That is, the average rotation of the gas+dust that the system was forming from. During its formation, the binary stars ended up with a perpendicular orbit relative to that. Some recent studies have concluded that this should be extremely common, perhaps the most common way for star systems to develop. But that wasn't so well known at the time that the StellarForge was being created, so I think it tends to be a lot less common in the ED galaxy.

Aha! Thank you for this explanation. Do you have any articles on that (must not be pop-science but can be real science).
But I wonder what happened to the protoplanetary disc here.

Yeah, it's super recent, so google doesn't make it terribly easy. :)

Top Bottom