Joystick upgrade. Whole new QoL

Would people recommend another X52, an X55 or an X56? I hear a lot about the 55/56 quality being poor.

I would recommend to avoid the X55. Go for the redesigned Logitech X56 instead. They've apparently fixed the issues that plagued the X55 (which I had before the X56). So far, it seems that they might have done, and there are some extra sticks on the 56 (that replace a couple of the buttons). I love the X56, I'm just hoping that Logitech are true to their promise about reliability. :)

I would recommend to avoid the X55. Go for the redesigned Logitech X56 instead. They've apparently fixed the issues that plagued the X55 (which I had before the X56). So far, it seems that they might have done, and there are some extra sticks on the 56 (that replace a couple of the buttons). I love the X56, I'm just hoping that Logitech are true to their promise about reliability. :)

Thanks Crank.

I've looked at the X56 before, however, now I am wondering if to upgrade to the Warthog HOTAS - it's considerably more, but appears to have a good reputation for being solid as anything. However, if finances look too tight I'll settle for the X56.

I also considered the Warthog. In the end, it wasn't the price but the lack of twist that put me off. i don't want pedals, and have got used to twist.

Ah, that makes all the difference - I hadn't researched it enough - didn't know it that it doesn't have twist/yaw.

Looks like it's the X56 for me...

Thanks Crank.

I've looked at the X56 before, however, now I am wondering if to upgrade to the Warthog HOTAS - it's considerably more, but appears to have a good reputation for being solid as anything. However, if finances look too tight I'll settle for the X56.
Have in mind that Warthog is metal on the outside, but plastic on the inside. I'll most probably go either for a Virpil or a VKB stick.

I bought my X56 in jan/17. After a month one of the buttons on the stick did not work anymore. I asked Saitek for a replacement stick and got a whole new set. I exchanged the stick and put the new set in the closet my backup and never locked back. After 7,000 hours playtime the X56 still works great. I certainly love mine.

Fly/land safe.

CMDR Steyla

I have a 20 year old X52 Pro which is still working well, but I went ahead and tried to T16000m FCS HOTAS and feel it's a huge improvement over the x52 in accuracy. One might say that it's because the x52 in 20 years old but I doubt it. Magnetic sensors don't degrade over time.

Before these two sticks, I had other poteniometer based sticks including a several Logitec 3D Pros and none compare to sticks with magnetic sensors like the T16000m, x52, x56 and others.

Last edited:
Obligatory "CH Pro HOTAS user" post. Been using it since 2014 with zero issues. Enough buttons between the stick and throttle that I have pip control redundancies built in depending on whether I have the freelook activated. Lateral thrusters on the throttle thumbstick with verts on the pedal toe brakes for full analog thruster input. No twist though, so anyone looking for that feature is SOL.

I agree OP, using the stick and throttle in general just adds that extra feel of controlling a vehicle.

Enjoy! I thought about the X52 when I got ED, but ended up with the cheaper X-55, which broke after 2 years of usage. I upgraded to the X-56, which I got a good 3 years out of before the twist broke on that as well. Must have been an early model after Logitech took over. I'm still using the X-56 with yaw into roll set. And I'm in VR. Using the Rift and X-56 means I'm relatively low on USB ports now (add to that my keyboard needs two...), so I have refrained from grabbing a set of pedals. Otherwise Rift + HOTAS = bliss.

:D S

Get a warthog.

When you watch modern sci-fi movies- they don’t use an X56 they use a Warthog or rarely a Vir Pil

You get to say “Hey that’s my stick”

As long as you remember it won’t make you a better pilot. As far as I know the Pros use mouse and keyboard.
8937x1182.jpg

First - Warthog and Virpil are over my budget.
Second - I don't play that much to justify purchasing above.

I'm aware that Warthog and Virpil are great products and will outlast almost every other competition. I just don't need top end stuff to enjoy my game. Since starting ED I was using 3D Pro and it worked well, I just wanted something mroe immersive. X52 is a massive upgrade from what I had andI'm currently totally satisfied. In two years time... we will see.

Little brag here.

For a long time I was dreaming about HOTAS, since start I was using Logitech 3D Pro. But having rather strict demands my target options were heavily limited. In fact the only option I was aiming for was X-56 Rhino, sadly I had problems with availability. Been hunting for one, to no avail; so I finally decided to buy previous model. I was considering T.16000 HOTAS but seing it live in the store, touching it and dry trying... it didn't felt proper. I don't deny its performance, but it felt light, not many buttons limiting options and I didn't like the idea of sliding throttle. Beside those two there was Warthog, but beyond my willingness to pay that much. So the only candidate was X-56 but no stock + reported quality issues (I wanted revised one, black-grey) required a revision.

Finally I went after X-52 Pro.

Here is what my current setup looks like:

1. Night vision

nk88vBG.jpg

2. Lights

VNiGlFX.jpg

From left to right:
  • Logitech G13 gamepad
  • X52 throttle
  • Logitech G413 silver keyboard
  • X52 stick
  • Logitech G502 mouse + G440 hard mouse pad
  • screens are Samsung 22" (left) and Iiyama 24" (main)
  • sound system SoundBlaster Z paired with Logitech Z906 THX
Half of yesterday's evening I spent on configuring controls. Now I need to learn all the new layout (2 years of 3D Pro muscle memory to alter...) but I must say - it's the whole new experience. Whole installation process went smooth, ED detected HOTAS and tutorials were giving me exact buttons (with shapes, ha!) what to press. But the feel...

It's the same game, the same ship but it feels totally different. True - stick has different movement range and tension, compared to 3D Pro - it's softer and has more range. But total life changer was adding throttle. With a bit of tweaking it now truly feels like piloting a space ship, not just playing space game. I had my concern about the Rule of Se..ekhm..Six (tho I use 0:07). Until now I had 75% throttle bound to G13 (with a rest of throttle presets) so when timer hit 0:07 I just pressed one button and had my throttle set to 75%. Now I have to manually move throttle to 75% and I was fearing I might have problems. Luckily no problems at all, slowing down to approach speed is great and adds to realism.

It's a bit too early to pass a judgement, I'm excited with new toy, exploring new stuff, learning new binds. I start to observe limitations of this gear which probably wouldn't be an issue with X56, but X52 is what I have so I need to mold it to my needs. But I will repeat myself, I didn't expected that upgrading stick may have such a great impact on how I experience Elite.

Did you have similar or is it just me?

I agree. A full HOTAS changes this game into a different experience. It connects you more to your ship. I will never play Elite without it.

There is certain danger tied with HOTAS. Faced it when I had just 3D Pro and with HOTAS it will be even more severe - inability to play without it. Last year I visited family, installed ED there but didn't have my stick with me. There was X-Box controller and tho I was able to maneuver I couldn't control my ship at all. Whole week without playing since I wasn't able to steer properly. When I get used to HOTAS it will be even worse...

I have an X-Flight Thrustmaster, with that said I am also was about to take a hammer to it for all the X(Pitch) drift but when I left my T7 and entered the AspX it doesn't drift at all making me think it's the game and not the new JS? It also doesn't do it in the FGS but some of the ships drift alot.

Little brag here.

For a long time I was dreaming about HOTAS, since start I was using Logitech 3D Pro. But having rather strict demands my target options were heavily limited. In fact the only option I was aiming for was X-56 Rhino, sadly I had problems with availability. Been hunting for one, to no avail; so I finally decided to buy previous model. I was considering T.16000 HOTAS but seing it live in the store, touching it and dry trying... it didn't felt proper. I don't deny its performance, but it felt light, not many buttons limiting options and I didn't like the idea of sliding throttle. Beside those two there was Warthog, but beyond my willingness to pay that much. So the only candidate was X-56 but no stock + reported quality issues (I wanted revised one, black-grey) required a revision.

Finally I went after X-52 Pro.

Here is what my current setup looks like:

1. Night vision

nk88vBG.jpg

2. Lights

VNiGlFX.jpg

From left to right:
  • Logitech G13 gamepad
  • X52 throttle
  • Logitech G413 silver keyboard
  • X52 stick
  • Logitech G502 mouse + G440 hard mouse pad
  • screens are Samsung 22" (left) and Iiyama 24" (main)
  • sound system SoundBlaster Z paired with Logitech Z906 THX
Half of yesterday's evening I spent on configuring controls. Now I need to learn all the new layout (2 years of 3D Pro muscle memory to alter...) but I must say - it's the whole new experience. Whole installation process went smooth, ED detected HOTAS and tutorials were giving me exact buttons (with shapes, ha!) what to press. But the feel...

It's the same game, the same ship but it feels totally different. True - stick has different movement range and tension, compared to 3D Pro - it's softer and has more range. But total life changer was adding throttle. With a bit of tweaking it now truly feels like piloting a space ship, not just playing space game. I had my concern about the Rule of Se..ekhm..Six (tho I use 0:07). Until now I had 75% throttle bound to G13 (with a rest of throttle presets) so when timer hit 0:07 I just pressed one button and had my throttle set to 75%. Now I have to manually move throttle to 75% and I was fearing I might have problems. Luckily no problems at all, slowing down to approach speed is great and adds to realism.

It's a bit too early to pass a judgement, I'm excited with new toy, exploring new stuff, learning new binds. I start to observe limitations of this gear which probably wouldn't be an issue with X56, but X52 is what I have so I need to mold it to my needs. But I will repeat myself, I didn't expected that upgrading stick may have such a great impact on how I experience Elite.

Did you have similar or is it just me?

The only thing I was missing was force feeback on my x52. I wish it had that.

I'm well over a year and thousand+ hours on my Logitech X-56 with no issues yet. I prefer it over the Warthog. The analog thumbstick and twist on the X-56 stick retired my Warthog and the pinky encoder and thumb buttons on the throttle make it functionally superior to Warthog as well, imo.

I have an X-Flight Thrustmaster, with that said I am also was about to take a hammer to it for all the X(Pitch) drift but when I left my T7 and entered the AspX it doesn't drift at all making me think it's the game and not the new JS? It also doesn't do it in the FGS but some of the ships drift alot.

I suspect that isn't the joystick. T7 does drift, as do quite a few other ships (I notice it most in my Cutter). If you get some input from the joystick when at rest, you can adjust the deadzones in options to eliminate it - that is the only thing I can think of that could cause drift from the joystick. I had this on mine, where I would always yaw slightly left - until I adjusted the deadzone.

I suspect that isn't the joystick. T7 does drift, as do quite a few other ships (I notice it most in my Cutter). If you get some input from the joystick when at rest, you can adjust the deadzones in options to eliminate it - that is the only thing I can think of that could cause drift from the joystick. I had this on mine, where I would always yaw slightly left - until I adjusted the deadzone.
I was going to look and see what's in the controls but I haven't had a chance yet, thanks for your input- hitting a star while scooping is not my idea of fun lol

Top Bottom