"Keep It Simple, Stupid" – David Braben on Added Value Services

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Is Steam's 30% cut on sales not reason enough?

I'd add, as an "investor" via kickstarter and beyond like most of us, I wouldn't want to see our gem in a midweek madness sale for £3, £3.49 for founders access, a few months after it is released?

Yeah I know I love sales, and buy most of my games in them so call me a hypocrite, but all those other games are just not Elite are they?

I'd add, as an "investor" via kickstarter and beyond like most of us, I wouldn't want to see our gem in a midweek madness sale for £3, £3.49 for founders access, a few months after it is released?

Yeah I know I love sales, and buy most of my games in them so call me a hypocrite, but all those other games are just not Elite are they?

Sales are made with the makers' approval, I would think. Some games almost never go on sales and when they do, they never go below certain price points. So Elite Dangerous could appear in Steam's catalog without becoming a bargain bin item right away. It could at least wait for the year 3306 or 3307.

I think FD will try to sell as most as they can by themselves. Then maybe when profits will stall, they could use the Steam platform to reach a wider audience without lowering the price dramatically.

I like to buy stuff online gives me better deals anyway. Less physical stuff == less pollution to our environment... I don't like the idea of CDs from the very beginning when it existed.:D

I like to buy stuff online gives me better deals anyway. Less physical stuff == less pollution to our environment... I don't like the idea of CDs from the very beginning when it existed.:D

I don't like CDs/DVDs either- both environmentally, and the fact that they are often required to start the game via whatever DRM protection is on the disk.

I'm happy to use Steam for the DRM side, which is less aggravating for me as it just means launching Steam and then the game. Plus, I can install on other computers the games from my library and play wherever I feel like- much more flexible.

As for Elite Dangerous, having it's own digital delivery method is great too, for the same reasons as above.

"Keep It Simple, Stupid" – David Braben on Added Value Services

Every time I look at the fora I see this line. It annoys me a little, not so much because of the word 'stupid' but because the original phrase for the 'KISS-formula' is 'Keep It Short and Simple'. Mean people, of course, have quickly changed it to 'Stupid'. Now everyone things that is what that 's' stands for. If you don't believe me, think about it.

What is being considered when the KISS formula is used? What is being expressed? When you try to explain something to someone or something is explained to you, would you suggest they are stupid and that therefore they ought to keep it simple? That'd be quite offensive and who would stand for it?

So then, when the goal is to convey the idea that something should be simple to avoid unnecessary complexity, would not two words that express this be more logical to use? So, 'short and simple' rather than one word to convey the idea, either 'short' or 'simple'? One avoids complexity by being brief, so, to keep it short but also keep it simple.

That is what KISS means and how it was expressed back in the 90's. I would have a moderator change the topic title...

Braben is spot on about preowned games. That was the one thing xbox did right this generation was to stop or ask for a subsidy on pre owned games. Unfortunately they did a u turn.

Any game or gamestop focuses on two things, day 1 sales (via exclusive dlc !!!111) and pushing preowned games. They will push a preowned game over a retail game. Who's this hurting? everyone.

The developer has to charge more on day one because that initial sale has to cover multiple people buying the game down the line. We get moe day one dlc as each company has a different exclusive to try to get them to shop with company x over company y. The games are getting cut up in to chunks and hawked off and everyone loses unless you wait a year and get a complete edition. Don't even get me started on console exclusives either . . .

Prices go up so more people pirate and contrary to popular belief it's not really the pc players pirating it's the console players with modded consoles pirating. Sure we have pirates on pc but we have easy ways to buy with companys like steam. Research has shown since stuff like netflix came out that people are less likely to pirate stuff if they can buy something instantly at a reasonable price and get it there and then. Look at game of thrones, it's the most pirated show because there's only one place to get it. They've just released their new online service so this might change a bit but time will tell.

I'm not saying everything is cut and dried and things like steam are perfect. Anyone who's bought a game on uplay will know what I mean. It's a whole big omnishambles of an argument and there's no easy way around it but the one thing we can agree on we need a reformation in the gaming industry before it turns in to what the music industry turned in to and we're fed the same recycled pulp because the people who want to and are able to make quality products aren't able to because the money is in the pulp and not the gold.

I Hate games on discs, they get scratched, and take up space, I used to like buying games in boxes a long time ago, when they had the keyboard overlay card, full manual and printed game map.

When they moved to simple dvd packaging, it just seems like a wasted step, I'm one of the steam lovers, all my games in one place with all the keys tied to my account, no need having to find out a cd is unreadable and finding the box with the key on it was chewed up by the dog a year ago and i no longer have it.

I stopped playing consoles about 5 years ago, my PC has always been far superior than any console, why have a box that i need to rebuy games for, all those extra dvd's to lose/get scratched.

The PC is coming back as a gaming platform, i doubt it will ever die as a gaming platform.

Perhaps the whole pirating issue would be less troublesome if vendors didn't charge such exorbitant prices for new games. £40 for a game is in my opinion quite a bit. I personally tend to wait till the price drops below £20 before I buy them however if it were at that price initially then I would put my saved £20 betting that more people would just go and buy an original version.

In my mind there are several issues these days with games and the release process.

1. Demos - they just aren't as prevalent as they used to be - I would warrant that a large number of downloads are part of a 'try before you buy' process. Games houses are asking people to put faith in reviewers and in production houses that the quality is there and that they are getting value for their hard earned money. Unfortunately this is just not the case in a large number of games released these days. There are very few franchises that I buy into without first having had my trust gained by good production values and great products.

2. Price - As I alluded to earlier - pricing is, in my opinion, out of kilter for both the value of the game and the value of the package accompanying. Gone are the days where you would get a nice little box of goodies with a game - your £40 buys you a generic DVD case with one or two disks and a quick start guide. Games are costing less to press and costing us as the consumer more. One could argue that there is a parallel between the cost of producing games in this day and age but I would come back with the idea that if games houses didn't treat us like the enemy and more like a valued customer then perhaps, just perhaps, the monetary return might reflect that.

Now undoubtedly there are going to be people out there that are always going to take the cheap easy way to obtaining software but in the current trend of pricing vs content the industry is only making the cheap illegal way more desirable. Personally I think that the solution to this problem is not to make consumers jump through hoops but to offer them a great price combined with content that shows that we're not just a bunch of wallets to be arbitrarily dipped into because we have morals.

From the perspective of second hand games - again this is an issue with the price point that games come onto the market at - if you price the games at a more reasonable level then the second hand market would have far less weight with the consumer.

I think the problem is not with people buying pre-owned games or retailers selling them. This situation has be caused by the games industry getting too greedy and seeing the consumer as a threat. You want to fix the problem then the games industry has to move first not the consumer. We're oddly not the enemy, we're the ones that keep you in pocket but for some bizarre reason the gaming industry is hell bent on making us pay for the situation they have got themselves into.

Here here!!! I second that!

Last edited:
As an exclusive PC player ( dont own any console, had a Super NES ages ago and that was it) who actually buys 100% of his games now -Pleading guilty about this in the past), I have never resold a game. Most of the used market is centered on consoles. the main advantage of digital distribution to me is that I don't have to bother with discs at all, there are loads of games I've bought since the 80es that I can't play any longer because I lost the discs in a move. It's the same for music: some music I actually paid for ages ago I can't listen to because I lost the tapes or those got worn out.

As a whole, DRM is only bad when it is clunky and annoying. When I can't read a CD in my car stereo because of DRM, yes, I'm annoyed and get a pirate version so it actually works. And I don't buy the next CD because I suspect it won't be working either. Steam is fine, as said in the article, because it's a one stop shop. When I'm required to also register to Origin, Ubi shop or whatever I actually cringe. I don't buy any UBI games because of this.

The meat of the matter is industries pretend they do not actually sell you the game/music but a license to use it on their conditions. That is something I absolutely do not agree with and I consider it customer abuse.

Please note this is NOT about money, it's about industries taking me for a fool. I have gladly paid for ED, future expansions and beta fee included. But there is no way I'm going to pay more than once for the same stuff. This also goes with the personal information that companies require to use their product. Want my email ? Sorry, but if I can do otherwise, no. If I can't, you'll get my junkemailusedforstupidregistrations@whatever.com address.

Retailers make fat in game resales ? Hey, it's the same for every other business. Why should games be an exception there ? Cars, guitars, camera lenses, whatever you can think of has a used market. Wanting a share of that is being greedy and nothing else. If you applied that to car manufacturing you'd have the people in arms tomorrow.
Althtough we'd surely like it to be otherwise (I also work in the games industry, not at liberty to tell where by contract) the games industry isn't anything special. It's an industry, where you sell stuff you made. Asking for anything else is asking for privileged treatment which I find completely unwarranted.

Putting Elite on Steam would be a plus IMO.
I already have a large steam investment and being able to just launch and run it wherever I have a steam account would be awesome.
For the record - I despise DRM - but steam mostly works for me..
I also buy and install all kinds of DRM free old-skool games from GoG.
I think you need to consider the in-game store to add credits etc; lower the cost of entry for the game and allow people to add credits to buy whatever they desire.
My eldest son was quite happy to sink $50 over a few weeks into Hawken to get bot upgrades faster, I understand exactly how he feels.
Elite isn't a PvP game at heart so providing a mechanism to skip the grind, have fun and feed cash into Frontier seems like a win-win to me.

What this also means is that the "used game" market really isn't there; All thats really happening is lowering the cost of entry

Having said all of that - I downloaded a 30GB game on steam the other day - "Shadow of Mordor" .. full price premium game, $0 as a used game because it doesn't exist..

In my mind, buying video games is like buying cars - you buy them because you want them, not because you expect to preserve any kind of capital investment.

It is.

The idea behind it is what you are making is simple and stupid (the 'and' is implied... or it becomes KISAS), not the person making it!

I don't think so. Who would think about their own work as 'stupid'? It should be simple to use, so that all people can use it without too many problems. Not be found stupid in some way. Something is simple when it is short and something is short when it is simple. The one implies the other rather well. You cannot do that with simple and stupid, really. Because simplicity doesn't imply stupidity nor does stupidity imply simplicity.

And when it comes to acronyms, the words 'the', 'it' and 'a' as well as words like 'and' or 'of' etc. are never capitalized. Sorry, I never learned the proper terms for these groups of words in school because I made it an effort not to know them.

I Hate games on discs, they get scratched, and take up space, I used to like buying games in boxes a long time ago, when they had the keyboard overlay card, full manual and printed game map.

When they moved to simple dvd packaging, it just seems like a wasted step, I'm one of the steam lovers, all my games in one place with all the keys tied to my account, no need having to find out a cd is unreadable and finding the box with the key on it was chewed up by the dog a year ago and i no longer have it.

I stopped playing consoles about 5 years ago, my PC has always been far superior than any console, why have a box that i need to rebuy games for, all those extra dvd's to lose/get scratched.

The PC is coming back as a gaming platform, i doubt it will ever die as a gaming platform.

I find your post interesting.

My experience with discs is contrary. I have always treated them with great care. I have never really had a bad disc.

I still do like the contents of a boxed game. I would prefer ED in a box to be honest. I suppose when I launch the game up first time, I'll get my old Frontier map out and pin it behind my monitors on the wall.

I guess the boxes take up space. But that is the point of boxes. It is a collectible. In that sense my orientation, as indoctrinated by how the world was when I was young, is focused on holding something material in the hand.

Steam is really popular and I must say that it is a nice platform although partially if not entirely spyware. Leave it to humans to take an in principle good idea and make it bad. But its popularity is not so strange in a world where more and more 'things' are virtual.

In olden days a board game came in a box of some sort. With the rise of electronics, computer games carried on riding a momentum of how things used to be. So a computer game came in a box too. It was a natural progression.

ICT changed everything. We can now buy and own virtual items, such as starships, virtual weapons, clothing etc. It does not require a box anymore since we can download it all. And so there is a break between the old days and the time we live in post-ICT introduction. People, especially young generations, live in a much more virtual space and add value to their virtual presence and goods much more than older people do. For older people a virtual item is a sort of ghost in the machine, whereas for young people it is not as imaginary. For them a virtual item feels more real.

I wonder how this will affect future generations. Will the concept of holding a physical object in the hand be completely alien to them? Will there be a massive shift to virtual realities where owning something made of information is equal if not more important than a real world physical object? Will materialism be affected in the way that any thing such as a car will no longer be an object of pride and ego but merely a 'any will do to get where I want to be'?

In any case, the material object phase of our species seems to pass rapidly into a virtual object phase. Since we become what we use, as we use technology, it also uses us, we might end up having a dissociated self-image. Our body being less important yet our virtual presence is vital to our career, relationships and social status, we might end up in a much more mental space of existence.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom