News Kerbal Space Program 2 announced for 2020.

How would the first one be "early access"? It's well past 1.0
I meant "early access" as in "still not finished"

I'm probably overreacting a bit in the light of games like Ark, where developers basically took the funding people gave them to finish a game A and made a game B, instead so now they have twice the funding source and no finished product. I find it kind of scummy.

Now, KSP is not exactly that - the devs definitely delivered more than they initially promised in the first game so technically they're off the hook but still, I'm going to look at this practice a bit squint-eyed. I would say the same thing if Fdev stopped the work on ED and announced ED2 instead.
It's just a bit weird, simply. 🤷‍♂️

I'm probably overreacting a bit in the light of games like Ark, where developers basically took the funding people gave them to finish a game A and made a game B, instead so now they have twice the funding source and no finished product. I find it kind of scummy.

Now, KSP is not exactly that - the devs definitely delivered more than they initially promised in the first game so technically they're off the hook but still, I'm going to look at this practice a bit squint-eyed. I would say the same thing if Fdev stopped the work on ED and announced ED2 instead.

Ok but that is not what early access means:

Early access, also known as early funding, alpha-access, alpha founding, or paid-alpha, is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can purchase and play a game in the various pre-release development cycles, such as pre-alpha, alpha, and/or beta, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue further development on the game.

Now, KSP is not exactly that - the devs definitely delivered more than they initially promised in the first game (...)
Not only did they over deliver by quite a few miles, they extended free support for years..
Now buy a regular AAA game, you'll pay for DLC and that will definitely finance their next game, this is not even weird as it's the way to run a business and pay salaries...

It would take Frontier making an ED2 to get me to even boot the game up again. When I fell out of love with it I fell hard.

Really - the only thing KSP needs is engine improvements so you don't eventually slow down once you have a bunch of ships/stations/etc. Mods help (A LOT) and the GC issues have gotten much, much better over the years... but it can still bog down (granted, I haven't played the latest greatest release quite yet).

Will KSP2 provide that? Eh, we'll see.

KSP is freaking awesome though - so many mods, so much to do.... one of my favorite all time games.

The final KSP patch is coming 6/24..... woot! I'm going to have to dive back into KSP (once all my favorite mods are updated to the final patch).

Top Bottom