Key bindings continuously disappearing

I'm not sure if I'm being more special than usual here, as I haven't seen anyone else report this issue, but my key bindings, particularly for on foot control disappear within seconds of applying them. It seems like every time there is a change of 'scene', the bindings get deleted. So I'll set them up after leaving the ship, again to get into the elevator, again to get out of the elevator, again after any interaction, and so on. As you can imagine, this is starting to get a little annoying.

Has anyone else run into this, and more to the point, found a fix? It happens mostly to on foot settings, but the mouse widget in my flight controls is also turning itself off whenever possible.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I'm also completely open to the idea that it's my own stupidity, and not Odyssey doing this :)

CMDR GunboatDip1omat

Edit: A screen capture demonstration:
Source: https://youtu.be/n1_rdwWKOOI

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm being more special than usual here, as I haven't seen anyone else report this issue, but my key bindings, particularly for on foot control disappear within seconds of applying them. It seems like every time there is a change of 'scene', the bindings get deleted. So I'll set them up after leaving the ship, again to get into the elevator, again to get out of the elevator, again after any interaction, and so on. As you can imagine, this is starting to get a little annoying.

Has anyone else run into this, and more to the point, found a fix? It happens mostly to on foot settings, but the mouse widget in my flight controls is also turning itself off whenever possible.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I'm also completely open to the idea that it's my own stupidity, and not Odyssey doing this :)

CMDR GunboatDip1omat
+1 for avatar.

I've had this happen a few times - but I'm now so trained into expecting to lose my control bindings over the past seven years that I barely registered it. But yes, losing them in the middle of gameplay is definitely a new thing. We had this crop up several times last night as two of the team were new to Odyssey and were trying to set binds that then disappeared within the same session.

Me2, trotle forward will change to reverse after i change instance (interdiction,jump, aso), in control th bindings still stand, but blured, have to reselect for it to work

It may be an idea, if you are not already using a 'named' bindings file (fred_odyssey etc.) to rename the custom.binds file to something meaningful (and using notepad to change the filename in line 2 of the file to match) then make sure that your named file appears in all 4 categories.

But, the bindings currently do seem a little less reliable than previously - particularly if you have switched between Horizons & Odyssey.

Carrying over from the alpha is the interact key (pick up ammo etc.) being 'forgotten' during play on occasion too!

It may be an idea, if you are not already using a 'named' bindings file (fred_odyssey etc.) to rename the custom.binds file to something meaningful (and using notepad to change the filename in line 2 of the file to match) then make sure that your named file appears in all 4 categories.

But, the bindings currently do seem a little less reliable than previously - particularly if you have switched between Horizons & Odyssey.

Carrying over from the alpha is the interact key (pick up ammo etc.) being 'forgotten' during play on occasion too!
My custom bindings are named appropriately, something along the lines of "pleasefckingwork.binds", and it is chosen in all 4 categories. But still goes in seconds.

My custom bindings are named appropriately, something along the lines of "pleasefckingwork.binds", and it is chosen in all 4 categories. But still goes in seconds.
It is why I asked, the 'custom.binds' file gets broken too easily by forgetting, in my case, to plug in any one of 3 controllers.
Why it disappears in seconds I have no idea, let's hope a solution arrives quickly.

Yep since yesterday Odyssey no longer has Custom Keybinds.

When I log into Horizons, my key binds are still there under Custom. But not for Odyssey at all, but if you change your bindings in Odyssey, it will overwrite your custom bindings for Horizons.

There is an issue on the issue tracker here but it has been closed and it states to raise it @ Frontier Support. But I cannot for the life of me find out what section im supposed to look it under.

I haven't been able to properly log into the game in either Horizons or Odyssey for about 72hours now. All I get is colourful snakes.

I am surprised there are still commanders not using CUSTOM (e.g. anything but "custom") name for personalized bindings.

"custom" is alias for "will be overwritten randomly" since it was introduced.

Everytime I start odyssey, 4 (and exactly 4 keybindings vanish), the ones for menus (1,2,3,4). Everything else stays as expected. This is very strange/annoying/disturbing. They are not custom : they are defaults bindings when using keyboard/mouse.

I'm not sure if I'm being more special than usual here, (...)
Do you by any chance have multiple languages/keyboard layouts in Windows?

ED seems to react very dramatically and randomly on any non-standard / changed since last run language settings.

Over those years I could not and still can't login in FD launcher if language/keyboards are not set to ENG/ENG.

Bindings are being erased randomly too because of that.

Do you by any chance have multiple languages/keyboard layouts in Windows?

ED seems to react very dramatically and randomly on any non-standard / changed since last run language settings.

Over those years I could not and still can't login in FD launcher if language/keyboards are not set to ENG/ENG.

Bindings are being erased randomly too because of that.
Nope, completely standard layout. Since there isn't an option for Fluent in Idiot, I struggle by with ENG/ENG :)

What I do is:

After setting all binding as desired
I copy "custom" binds
file to
"writteninstone" binds
Remember to change"in-file" name inside binds file too, like here:
<Root PresetName="writteninstone" MajorVersion="4" MinorVersion="0">
then I edit
StartPreset.start
to contain
writteninstone
and read-only lock
StartPreset.start

Never lost my bindings since - ED only dares to tinker with "custom" binds, my writteninstone is safe from harm.

I found this thread as I lost my keybinds earlier, but I've managed to restore them. For me, it seems quitting the game whilst on-foot in the concourse is what caused the problem.

I eventually found that when I went back to my ship, quit to menu and reloaded the game I was able to select my custom binds again and all is well.

We may have different issues here, but thought I'd share all the same.

Thanks for the info @Zombi3. I've given that a try, but unfortunately my on foot bindings seem to not want to hang around for any reason. I've 'solved' the problem by sticking my butt back into the cockpit and going on an exploration voyage. By the time I'm back, hopefully things are fixed :)

I do find my custom keybinds file is never picked up by the game if I don't switch my Xbox controller (I use Hotas, Xbox and M&K combination) BEFORE I launch the game. That's been an issue since Horizons.

And I have found TrackIR to stop working mid game, but that's a different issue.

I had no problems when I stuck 100% to Odyssey. I switched to Horizons as a way to get out of a crash loop (boo), and then I had problems with my controls. (Changed from my custom bind to Mouse and Keyboard?) No idea whether this will persist.

Top Bottom