Krait mk II unlikely to get scanned?

Have anyone else noticed that this doesn't seem to be true, in fact for my experience i get security ships trying to scan me much more in krait than in any other ships. It seem like 9/10 times I drop into Coriolis, Orbis or Ocellus security try scan me in my krait while flying other ships like python, anaconda, cutter, chieftain and vulture i almost never get security trying to scan me.

I was intrigued by that as well OP, so I started an experiment : take each of the 'default' ships out to the Nav Beacon and leave it, count the scans, see how they differ.

So far:

gEUmDiT.png

As you can hopefully see (if imgur is not blocking any more) the Krait does see to get scanned less than Pythons, but there are other ships that get scanned less. The only one with zero scans was my super-cold DBX. But, need more data - takes a while when you need the ship alone for 1hr+, luckily the World Cup is keeping me distracted ;)

I was intrigued by that as well OP, so I started an experiment : take each of the 'default' ships out to the Nav Beacon and leave it, count the scans, see how they differ.

So far:

As you can hopefully see (if imgur is not blocking any more) the Krait does see to get scanned less than Pythons, but there are other ships that get scanned less. The only one with zero scans was my super-cold DBX. But, need more data - takes a while when you need the ship alone for 1hr+, luckily the World Cup is keeping me distracted ;)

Excellent work! My T-10 is getting scanned almost every time, Krait on the rare side of occasionally .... while sticking to the speed limit on approach.

Factabulous, I'm sorry but I think the only good method to test this is arriving to the nav beacon / station with TWO ships at the same time and see which one gets scanned faster. The krait will be scanned at the end, just would probably be the last.
The difference in numbers could very well just be diff count of ships in the instance, since you are resetting it with every ship change.
And definitely, don't bring a cold ship, it will deviate all your stats.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...e-new-smuggling-ship!!!-see-it-in-action-here

I spent last night doing slave runs between various systems, I am allied with most of them so I don't get many system authority scan anyway.

1st I used the Krait for roughly an hour and never got scanned once.

2nd Was my Python same systems, approx. same amount of time and got scanned at least once at every station.

3rd Was my T9 and same systems, approx same amount of time again, plus carrying lots more cargo and missions than the other two ships had and I only got scanned once.

Nothing conclusive from this really as RNG may have more impact on scans than other factors but I just get the 'feeling' the Python gets scanned more often than other ships.

I'm definitely open to my methodology being wrong ;)

To be clear on methodology:

* I buy a ship - make no mods.
* Fly it to the Nav Beacon - leave it rotating gently < 100m from the Nav beacon
* Leave the ship alone for > 1 hr - no instance changes, in solo so no CMDRs
* Instance spawns new ships - they choose to scan, or not scan
* When I get bored jump away
* Analyse the journal to look for scans

Factabulous, I'm sorry but I think the only good method to test this is arriving to the nav beacon / station with TWO ships at the same time and see which one gets scanned faster. The krait will be scanned at the end, just would probably be the last.

I'm looking at one single ship at a time. If I understand what you're saying then FD implemented it just so you get scanned later than others. That would seem pretty useless to me.

The difference in numbers could very well just be diff count of ships in the instance, since you are resetting it with every ship change.

Errm, maybe I don't understand the game - my ship is sat there for 1hr at the Nav Beacon - will the instance change? I thought it would keep the instance, and just spawn new NPC ships into it...

And definitely, don't bring a cold ship, it will deviate all your stats.

Errrm, yes - but since I'm measuring a single ship why is that an issue? I would expect cold ships --> scan less, and also want to try 0% paintwork --> scan more. And anything else I can think of ;)

(Cool post of yours to the smuggling scout - thx!)

* Fly it to the Nav Beacon - leave it rotating gently < 100m from the Nav beacon

I'm looking at one single ship at a time. If I understand what you're saying then FD implemented it just so you get scanned later than others. That would seem pretty useless to me.

Errm, maybe I don't understand the game - my ship is sat there for 1hr at the Nav Beacon - will the instance change? I thought it would keep the instance, and just spawn new NPC ships into it...

Errrm, yes - but since I'm measuring a single ship why is that an issue? I would expect cold ships --> scan less, and also want to try 0% paintwork --> scan more. And anything else I can think of ;)

(Cool post of yours to the smuggling scout - thx!)

Would be interesting to test one of the big ships running cold. The T10 might be your friend there.

Ive been noticing MORE scans with a Krait with mostly unmodded but A rated modules.

Im wondering if the "less conspicuous" quality is something you have to build into it. people are saying the PP is way too big for the Krait but I'm wondering if thats so you can do a g5 low emissions PP and still have enough power for "sneaky things"

Last edited:
It's likely a D100.

Drop into station instance.

Autority vessel comes within range.

Rolls D100.

If it's lower than the Conspicuousness rating of the ship, run all the scanning stuff.
Running siletn, having low heat emmisions etc, will be a separate thing, done before/after this check.

Krait, for it's size/class etc, probly has a slightly lower rating.

You'd have to do a crazy amount of tests to get any kind of useful result.

This is how heat signature works in combat:

A. Every ship at any given time has a temperature (the variable)
B. Every ship has a hidden, developer-fixed, signature (the constant)
C. Heat signature is a product of A and B
D. Every sensor (size and grade) has a sig detection value
E. Range at which sensors will resolve the target, seeker missiles will lock and (to a less dramatic but still noticeable extent) the quality of gimbal tracking is a product of C and D

Putting the above together, an Anaconda (high sig) will become sensor resolved and targetable by seeker missiles at a much longer range than a Viper III (low sig) if the two are running at precisely the same temperature.

Now, all of the above we know. But if - which we don't know but may assume - the threshold of scanning is also determined exactly as above, then if as their remarks suggest the Devs have given the Krait a low sig, then a Krait running at the same temperature as a Python should receive fewer scans.

If anybody wants to test the above with a buddy (sorry, a bit too PvE for yours truly) then a starting point would be to make a Krait and a Python that both run cold at exactly the same temperature whilst stationary and see the range at which the buddy ship (which could move) achieves sensor resolution (in the central HUD scanner) and seeker missile lock. You should find that it is a further range for Python than Krait, as it would be for Anaconda v Viper.

If that is so, the only remaining question is whether NPC scans follow the same sig rules as combat.

Actually, your methodology doesn't look to bad - controlling the only variables you reasonably can. But, I would question the use of the nav beacon as a location for best results vs system authority ships - I tend to get scanned more by pirates at nav beacons and this may be skewing the results. I would expect in such a complex game where ship profile and condition (paint) have an impact on scan possibility, that pirates and authorities also have different scan priorities (ie preferred ship size, type). It would be interesing to see your nav beacon data (once completed - I think to level out an instancing variation it needs to be done multiple times per ship) set against data using the same base methodology from outside a coriolis station in anarchy, low sec, med sec and , high sec systems.

Actually, your methodology doesn't look to bad - controlling the only variables you reasonably can.

Certainly not a criticism but @Factabulous the variable you need to control is temperature. Whether you have the will to do it, idk, but ideally you need all the ships to idle at the same temperature, for the reasons in my post above and as already indicated by your cold DB.

This is how heat signature works in combat:

A. Every ship at any given time has a temperature (the variable)
B. Every ship has a hidden, developer-fixed, signature (the constant)
C. Heat signature is a product of A and B
D. Every sensor (size and grade) has a sig detection value
E. Range at which sensors will resolve the target, seeker missiles will lock and (to a less dramatic but still noticeable extent) the quality of gimbal tracking is a product of C and D

Putting the above together, an Anaconda (high sig) will become sensor resolved and targetable by seeker missiles at a much longer range than a Viper III (low sig) if the two are running at precisely the same temperature.

Now, all of the above we know. But if - which we don't know but may assume - the threshold of scanning is also determined exactly as above, then if as their remarks suggest the Devs have given the Krait a low sig, then a Krait running at the same temperature as a Python should receive fewer scans.

If anybody wants to test the above with a buddy (sorry, a bit too PvE for yours truly) then a starting point would be to make a Krait and a Python that both run cold at exactly the same temperature whilst stationary and see the range at which the buddy ship (which could move) achieves sensor resolution (in the central HUD scanner) and seeker missile lock. You should find that it is a further range for Python than Krait, as it would be for Anaconda v Viper.

If that is so, the only remaining question is whether NPC scans follow the same sig rules as combat.

My guess would be no. You're talking about the technical aspect of sensor resolution & targetability vs the NPC decision to scan a particular ship. While both do factor into scanning - they need to see you on their sensor in order to scan you - the variable in question is the quantifiable likelyhood of being scanned after sensor resolution. Your B above should only be relevant after a ship has been resolved on the pirate/authority sensor - that value will determine whether a Krait or T-7 has a 'lower profile' with regard to being a ship type more/less likely to be scanned by pirates/authorities.

Certainly not a criticism but @Factabulous the variable you need to control is temperature. Whether you have the will to do it, idk, but ideally you need all the ships to idle at the same temperature, for the reasons in my post above and as already indicated by your cold DB.

I disagree. Were talking about the likelyhood of being scanned after sensor resolution, not the ability to be detected by the sensors. I think.

Last edited:

Anything above 30% would do, the other ships don't have any issues locking/scanning, and being 80% doesn't make all of them go scan you any faster.

I disagree. Were talking about the likelyhood of being scanned after sensor resolution, not the ability to be detected by the sensors. I think.

If the temp is too low, the NPC ship will stay with your ship trying to scan for at least 5 minutes. It will stop trying to scan other ships too so it might affect the results. I think it does matter to make sure the ship can at least be resolved/locked and scanned.

Some good feedback - thanks all! I put out those early numbers because I knew there would be stuff I was unaware of / getting wrong, and this has given me more ideas. Agree about trying different locations, and also the idea of 'same temp'. Lots of variables.

I still need to make sure I have a reproducible baseline, then can move on to more fun stuff!

Top Bottom