Lack of animals

In my opinion it's lacking of Penguins, more Crocodile/alligator, black panther, kangaroos etc...

i hope see more animals added in the futur or in DLC

Last edited:
"Lack of animals" is a pretty inaccurate description of the game. There's what, 70+ animals in the game right now? Zoo Tycoon 2, in comparison, came out with about 30 in the base game.

Just because they're not all the animals you want to see, that doesn't mean there's a "lack" of animals. I personally like having more obscure animals in the game.

"Major ones" is very subjective though. You think penguins and polar bears are major ones, while I think jaguars and leopards would be more important.

Besides, they would have made decisions based off future DLC.

I'm sorry, I just find it a bit ungrateful to be complaining about what animals are or aren't in the game when they gave us over /70/, even though they only promised 50+.

"Major ones" is very subjective though. You think penguins and polar bears are major ones, while I think jaguars and leopards would be more important.

Besides, they would have made decisions based off future DLC.

I'm sorry, I just find it a bit ungrateful to be complaining about what animals are or aren't in the game when they gave us over /70/, even though they only promised 50+.

But not really though. If you ask the average person what animals do they think of when they think of a zoo, polar bears, penguins, and rhinos would come up fairly often. And when most people think of rhinos, they think of African ones. Kangaroos would be less common, but still would come up fairly often. There is nothing wrong with pointing out where the game is lacking. My point was that these were odd exclusions.

It's so obvious that penguins and polar bears are saved to the Polar or Aquatic DLC, kangaroos - to the Aussie DLC with other unique Australian animals.

But not really though. If you ask the average person what animals do they think of when they think of a zoo, polar bears, penguins, and rhinos would come up fairly often. And when most people think of rhinos, they think of African ones. Kangaroos would be less common, but still would come up fairly often. There is nothing wrong with pointing out where the game is lacking. My point was that these were odd exclusions.

Where's your proof that the "average person" will list those three? It sounds like a pretty big assumption.

And in case you're curious, the zoo in my city doesn't have polar bears, penguins, or rhinos. I double checked it just now. So to me, a zoo isn't at all lacking without those animals, therefore I don't see them as major animals. Ps I live in Canada so there's no geographical reason why polar bears and penguins wouldn't be in my zoo other than the fact they weren't deemed necessary to have 🤷

Being an "average person" myself, I'd say that I don't expect most zoos to have polar bears, black or white rhinos or emperor or king penguins. I imagine those species needing extra care and specific conditions that most zoos cannot provide well enough to be a good captive environment for those animals. In your average zoo that is. That's my "average" opinion.

Where's your proof that the "average person" will list those three? It sounds like a pretty big assumption.

And in case you're curious, the zoo in my city doesn't have polar bears, penguins, or rhinos. I double checked it just now. So to me, a zoo isn't at all lacking without those animals, therefore I don't see them as major animals. Ps I live in Canada so there's no geographical reason why polar bears and penguins wouldn't be in my zoo other than the fact they weren't deemed necessary to have 🤷

Honestly, you're just being ridiculous to try to make whatever point you're making. It's like saying that elephants or lions aren't major animals. They are. Just because your local zoo doesn't have them doesn't mean anything at all. A zoo doesn't have to have those animals to be good but they are extremely common in many zoos especially in the United States. It is obvious that these animals are going to be packaged as DLC but that's just stupid. They should have just been included in base.

Being an "average person" myself, I'd say that I don't expect most zoos to have polar bears, black or white rhinos or emperor or king penguins. I imagine those species needing extra care and specific conditions that most zoos cannot provide well enough to be a good captive environment for those animals. In your average zoo that is. That's my "average" opinion.

Again not what I'm saying. I am talking about the animals people most often think of when they think zoo animals as evidenced by the fact that a great many zoos especially in the United States have them.

The United States aren't the whole world. Anyway, what kind of bugs me is that one of the animals that are supposed to be deluxe edition is basically just the springbok. Like, I get that they're different animals but come on.. could've added something other than the springbok to the game at least, I'll give you that. And tbh yeah, I guess we could've had some different animals, but we'll see what DLC will give us. The base game is not expensive enough to make me upset about the idea of DLC. Hopefully it will bring 5 or 6 animals each time at least, although realistically it might be like 3... Unfortunately we'll have to rely on DLC. It's sad that that's the standard these days but what can you do. There's always going to be lots of people who buy them, making them profitable.

I seem to have gone on a rant. I didn't want to fully agree with you at first but tbh I do feel similarly. However, if we got a bigger variety or more unique animals the game would've needed more time to be developed. By giving us similar types of animals, they were able to reuse assets and save a chunk of time. But I'm glad we have what we've been given so far. Although the animal interactions and social behaviour still feel lacking...

Edit: typo

Last edited:
The United States aren't the whole world. Anyway, what kind of bugs me is that one of the animals that are supposed to be deluxe edition is basically just the springbok. Like, I get that they're different animals but come on.. could've added something other than the springbok to the game at least, I'll give you that. And tbh yeah, I guess we could've had some different animals, but we'll see what DLC will give us. The base game is not expensive enough to make me upset about the idea of DLC. Hopefully it will bring 5 or 6 animals each time at least, although realistically it might be like 3... Unfortunately we'll have to rely on DLC. It's sad that that's the standard these days but what can you do. There's always going to be lots of people who buy them, making them profitable.

I seem to have gone on a rant. I didn't want to fully agree with you at first but tbh I do feel similarly. However, if we got a bigger variety or more unique animals the game would've needed more time to be developed. By giving us similar types of animals, they were able to reuse assets and save a chunk of time. But I'm glad we have what we've been given so far. Although the animal interactions and social behaviour still Berks lacking...

I just mention the United States because that's where I live. I can't say what is common elsewhere. But, yeah, I agree. I mean I think it's a really solid game overall and I do hope that they will be able to address a lot of the issues that people have. They have at least shown to be really open to feedback in their games and unlike with Jurassic World, I don't personally see any fundamental problems in how the game works.

The "ridiculous" point I'm making is that not everyone around the world would consider those major animals necessary for a zoo - or in this case, a zoo game. I just find it ungrateful to complain about one or two animals that are missing when we got 73(?) of them already, compared to past zoo games that only came out with 30 at launch.

And it's not really "stupid" to not include them. Penguins alone would need an entirely new rig for them. To get them and polar bears to look right they'd have to program in an entirely new system for their diving and swimming, something that people are already complaining hippos and Crocs don't have. Can you imagine if they put in penguins that only swam on the surface of the water?

My point is the developers made their decision for a reason past "what do players want" and more "what can we accomplish in our timeframe/what is reasonable in our budget"?

The "ridiculous" point I'm making is that not everyone around the world would consider those major animals necessary for a zoo - or in this case, a zoo game. I just find it ungrateful to complain about one or two animals that are missing when we got 73(?) of them already, compared to past zoo games that only came out with 30 at launch.

And it's not really "stupid" to not include them. Penguins alone would need an entirely new rig for them. To get them and polar bears to look right they'd have to program in an entirely new system for their diving and swimming, something that people are already complaining hippos and Crocs don't have. Can you imagine if they put in penguins that only swam on the surface of the water?

My point is the developers made their decision for a reason past "what do players want" and more "what can we accomplish in our timeframe/what is reasonable in our budget"?

Again, it's not being ungrateful. It's just expressing disappointment which there is nothing wrong with doing. I think the penguins thing is reasonable and honestly I never expected them to be in base. I wouldn't be surprised if they never add them as they seem to have difficulty with water based stuff.

I was a bit disappointed when I first got on as I expected more animals with more diversity from different continents, I don't think we got any for antarctica? Yet it's a continent in the filters, I hope some more are coming soon... That being said I am grateful for what we have currently :)

"Lack" is maybe a big word, i mean i'm surprise to don't see those kind of animals, personnaly i'm a big fan of reptilians, bird and fish, the number of exhibit animals are great specialy the desert one, they made a great job i just surprise to don't see basic animals we seen in zoo tycoon for exemple. and if they made dlc i just gonna rush to buy them because i wan't to suport that game.

“Black Panthers” aren’t an individual animal, they are melanistic leopards and jaguars.

Not trying to come off as rude, but they can’t put every animal in the base game, and we got a lot of cool animals. People need to stop with the “They are missing animal name here” chances are, they will be in a DLC.

There are animals I’d eventually like to see too, but making threads about what animal they are missing in the base game isn’t going to change anything

Giving ideas for animals you’d like to see in a DLC is a better way of going about things :)

Last edited:
I agree with most people when they say that not every zoo in real life has an animal you want in Planet Zoo.

Ex: My local state-owned zoo has no penguins, no polar bears, no cold animals in general. I mean, it's a country located in the equator. Those animals would overheat to death. Plus, maintenance is expensive. The zoos in my country which happen to have penguins are TROPICAL penguins like the humboldt penguin.

Top Bottom