Lack of animals

There is a huge number of animals in the base game (50 habitat + 20-something others) - whilst i'd like a few Australian animals and penguins, I have no doubt that these will come with time. Penguins (as someone's already noted) and Kangaroos would both be very tricky to get right, given the need for underwater animation (and transitioning from water to land) for penguins and hopping for kangaroos (which i can see being super-tricky to get looking right). As for crocodiles, there are two in the base game, which is pretty good (If they had more I'd expect to see lots of posts about how 'they're all just the same' - I want more variety - waaaah!)

The fact that both Antarctica and Oceania are in the menus suggests that penguins and kangaroos, at least, will be added before too long. In the mean time there's plenty to keep me happy.

As for crocodiles, there are two in the base game, which is pretty good (If they had more I'd expect to see lots of posts about how 'they're all just the same' - I want more variety - waaaah!)

This is true. The developers are also now experiencing the cry of players that are condemning so-called "reskinned animals". I'm honestly curious if they had put polar bears and African rhinos in the game, if people would have /really/ been happy - or if they would have been upset the two animals were basically "reskins" and therefore are "lazy".

I put everything in quotes because I know how time consuming it would be to make one animal and do not fault Frontier at all for wanting to make use of a rig for multiple animals, i.e the bears we have.

I actually agree

the exhibit animals are cool and all but there's a LOT of them and they have 0 appeal for me beyond placing them down, admiring them for 2 seconds, and moving on

there could be more variety of animals that you place in habitats, or just.... more in general

I do agree that prioritizing some less known animals did sorta backfire. While its one thing to say "I think penguins are more important" or "I think leopards are more important" I think we all can agree that Penguins, Jaguars, Polar Bears, Kangaroos, White/Black Rhinos, etc. are all far more important than the Aldabra tortoise, aardvark, nile monitor lizard, or Nyala. More animals the better, but not at the cost of what are essentially basic zoo animals now being likely sold as DLC. Now will they sell? Of course, but I can see it sewing some discontent with Frontier that I'm getting a polar bear, but now needing to shell out some extra money to do so.

I do agree that prioritizing some less known animals did sorta backfire. While its one thing to say "I think penguins are more important" or "I think leopards are more important" I think we all can agree that Penguins, Jaguars, Polar Bears, Kangaroos, White/Black Rhinos, etc. are all far more important than the Aldabra tortoise, aardvark, nile monitor lizard, or Nyala. More animals the better, but not at the cost of what are essentially basic zoo animals now being likely sold as DLC. Now will they sell? Of course, but I can see it sewing some discontent with Frontier that I'm getting a polar bear, but now needing to shell out some extra money to do so.

No, we can't 'all agree'. The Nile monitors are one of my favourite animals in the game still and I was absolutely thrilled to see a more uncommon animal in zoo games, the aardvark, being included. Even at the expense of not getting jaguar or leopard, I enjoy all the other animals we did get instead.

But that's what it boils down to, doesn't it? People aren't disgruntled certain animals aren't in the game. People are disgruntled they have to /pay extra/ for them.

I see nothing wrong with this. Frontier has to make money somehow off continued development of the game. It's the same way some people might think pets should be in the base Sims game, but no, it'll always be DLC to help continue paying the salaries of the people working on the game.

This, so much this! And all of it!

Personally, I am also super happy especially about the nile monitor, the aardvark and the pangolin and I would chose them every time over another rhino!

Regarding “iconic” animals left out for later DLCs: those will need fan favorites as sweeteners. DLCs with only “obscure” animals as content won’t sell. And, as Silhouette rightfully said, employees have to be paid.

Zoo Tycoon 2 didn't have a lot of Australian animals to begin with. It's just the kangaroo and the koala, the latter being in the endangered species expansion pack.. South America was kinda underrepresented too. There's only the jaguar, the baird's tapir and the spectacled bear, again the latter two in the aforementioned pack. In fact, Africa was overrepresented, as put in the African Adventure expansion pack. So saying that this game 'sucks' just because it hasn't got South American/Australian animals kinda doesn't make sense. (I do agree with an equal animal variety from every continent though). Even WLP 2 and 3 got their South American and Australian animals via expansions and DLC respectively.

Top Bottom