Large and Huge AX weapon musings

This is an old topic but I don't feel like finding and necroing that old stuff. Besides, things have changed somewhat. The Salvation Plasma Chargers are amazing, but their short effective range require fast and agile ships with good distance control, making large ships even more obsolete. All the good AX weapons are Medium max and there are no Huge ones. Perhaps it's time to take a look at that and possibly also give large ships a niche. Some of these are old ideas of mine, some new.

Salvation PC scaleup: I think these would be way too powerful if the DPS was directly scaled up. Instead, perhaps the larger variants still had damage of the Medium, but better focusing, increasing the effective range. Also perhaps slightly increasing the Armour Piercing value, though Medium's is good enough in my experience. For range it could be something like 1500/3000 for Large and 2000/3500 (same as PA) for Huge.

A regular non-Salvation Huge PC could also have some merit. In that case, the DPS can be scaled up normally, but the Armour Piercing progression would be the key. Increasing the damage dropoff range to at least 1500, preferably 2000, would make it really worth it.

Larger Salvation Shard: I have less to say about these. Could probably be scaled up to Large without too much trouble. Alternatively increasing the magazine size or reducing reload time are also viable options.

Large Flak with more ammo: Feels like a waste to put a Medium Flak on a Large hardpoint on many of my builds. Makes me wish there was a Large option. Of course it would be something fancy with bigger clouds or multi-shot, but just being just like medium but with triple ammo would be more than good enough.

Huge AX Cannon: Not a Multi-Cannon, a Cannon with good damage and great Armour Piercing and Breach, though relatively slow shot speed would make hitting hearts with it challenging. Cannons also have low ammo capacity. Lorewise, it could be considered an evolution of first generation of AX weapons.

New Beam Weapon: Huge, resembles Beam Laser, but has a charging mechanic. Hold down to charge and when released (or when distro runs out) it fires for a time relative to the time spent charging. Should definitely be gimballed to make this mechanic more bearable. Damage half AX, half thermal. Call it an anti-particle beam or pulsar or something like that. I recommend something like Freespace Beam Cannon visual effect for the charging.

Finally, I think it's about time we got some better range to the Xeno Scanner. Scanning hostile interceptors is possible with current one, but very frustrating.

Top Bottom