Last Day

Yes. That throwaway comment from DB pretty much confirmed to me that he isn't even looking at E: D anymore. At least not with his eyes open...
Maybe he is part of the people who thinks 30FPS is a smooth experience ? You know, because movie are at 24fps^^

He might have avoided the CZ for some reason to. Just going to a concourse, on an "empty" world staring at the pretty sky. 40-50fps would be OK for that, I guess.

Maybe he is part of the people who thinks 30FPS is a smooth experience ? You know, because movie are at 24fps^^

He might have avoided the CZ for some reason to. Just going to a concourse, on an "empty" world staring at the pretty sky. 40-50fps would be OK for that, I guess.
That's pretty much what I meant. The first he did actually state - that he thinks 30FPS is acceptable. And I assume that he didn't walk around much either, as at the time he made the statement, even 30FPS was unachievable if you walked around the concourse...

Remember Logan's Run?

Tomorrow, I change my ISP. By cutting my internet costs by nearly 75%, it gives me some desperately needed room in my fixed budget.

What does this have to do with Elite?

It's the last day I can use my high-speed internet to download bulky game files.

So, I'm buying Odyssey. While I can still download it rapidly.

I'll find out if it runs on my old box, then, if it doesn't, I will get my Steam Refund.

Renew! said my old box...

You're going from 1gb to 200mb calm down you're not off to Pluto 200mb is more than enough to download large games like ED.

I find this is a non-sensical reason to provoke a Steam refund. The performance of EDO is no mystery and the difference in connection speed is hardly a factor to consider.

EDO's performance definitely is a mystery. Some people's total beast machines are brought to it's knees, where-as other's midrange machine fairs reasonably.

No, no, no, he only said it ran, but conventiently missed to mention how it did.

I find this is a non-sensical reason to provoke a Steam refund. The performance of EDO is no mystery and the difference in connection speed is hardly a factor to consider.
No, Birdy. I'm still running on the old ISP. The frame rate on my PC was the reason for the refund.

I was going to switch over today, but I find I'm downloading as much as I can...

EDO's performance definitely is a mystery. Some people's total beast machines are brought to it's knees, where-as other's midrange machine fairs reasonably.

depends where you play and what details you are expecting.
Doin exploration in deep space is light enough - especially if you employ some 0.75-0.85 supersampling with CAS or FSR and lower the details too.
Doin settlements with fires and scavs or ground combat CZ is really taxing. Especially if you go on Ultra

Doin exploration in deep space is light enough - especially if you employ some 0.75-0.85 supersampling with CAS or FSR and lower the details too. Doin settlements with fires and scavs or ground combat CZ is really taxing.

So if I don't engage in the EDO added content, I only need to drop my resolution and graphics quality to do the same things I do in EDH, except more pixelated? Hard pass.

@Ralph Vargr Ryzen 5 3600x ~ 1050ti 4gb ~ 32gb RAM here, on foot EDO was a slideshow for me, and I didn't even try the FPS content. Just standing on a barren rock surface. All the other modern FPS games I have run at 1080 maxed/near max without slipping below 60fps, in gunfights. And they look better. You're not alone. I watched a devstream a week or so ago, and even their game was dropping to near freezing slideshow when gunfire began. With how bad EDO's performance is, optimization isn't going to bring it up to anything I'd see as even reasonable. EDO literally needs a performance multiplier. It's actually quite the achievement FD has pulled off, making a game with such a level of graphics run so poorly.

"Similar performance to EDH", FD said . . . :ROFLMAO:

I had to drop down on my Internet connection to save a few bucks. Now I only get 180 Mbs sustained, and except for really large downloads, it's not all that bad. And for the really large stuff I'll just go do something else for a bit while it downloads. :)

Not at launch 😂

Not ever. I'll believe it when I see it, but the prospect of the same team that made it run so poorly to begin with being able to multiple it's performance is simply fantasy. FD certainly knows this, hence the indefinite hold on console release. They'll never come out and admit it though, as doing so would open them up to lawsuits considering they were taking preorders while making claims of similar performance to EDH. So they either keep the lie going, that it's just a bug, or they decide to start being honest and regain customer trust, but potentially deal with lawsuits. Rock and a hard place. This is the problem with being dishonest, you always end up in a deeper hole than you were before. If they had some backbone and integrity they'd choose the honest route, take the black eye standing up, and move forward with renewed trust. If they did, I would then purchase EDO purely as a show of support. Still wouldn't install it though.

New ISP: 200 MB cable.
Since my beginning with Elite, my ISP has been only 1 to 2Mbps. Took multiple nights to download Horizons (and some of the patches). There is hope of higher speed options in the coming year, but it will probably be meaningless as far as downloading Odyssey goes. I've got an older PC, and based on what I'm seeing others post, it won't be giving anywhere near the excellent performance I now enjoy with Elite Horizons.

So I've pretty much accepted that my time with Elite Horizons is going to be forced to end when the Odyssey tech is passed down to Horizons. I can't justify a new PC for one game, especially when the couple of other games I play perform excellently.

To sort of celebrate "the end" for my CMDR, I'm off on an exploration trip. I considered just staying out in the black until the update comes, and then my CMDR will just sit parked on a planet, forever. A fitting end, as exploration was always a high point for me in Elite.

At least you tried Ralph, I don’t know what it will take to fix Odyssey.

As to internet speed, I haven’t upgraded mine for over a decade and started at something like 20 MPS and now it runs at just under 90, plenty of speed for our meager demands, though they do offer 200.

Our provider is less than desirable, charged me for service I didn’t authorize so they’re crooks. Most of them are.

So I've pretty much accepted that my time with Elite Horizons is going to be forced to end when the Odyssey tech is passed down to Horizons.

I wouldn't worry. I doubt this will end up happening, as they will need to multiply EDO performance to come to parity with EDH. If they force EDH owners to suffer severe performance degradation, without consent/purchase, they will open themselves up to lawsuits. Either they somehow make EDO run well, or they won't roll it into EDH. Either way, you'll/we'll be able to run it.

No, Birdy. I'm still running on the old ISP. The frame rate on my PC was the reason for the refund.
Sorry, I guess I have missed your intention by miles.

I wouldn't worry. I doubt this will end up happening, as they will need to multiply EDO performance to come to parity with EDH.
QFT. This is something people tend to miss, when they check performance. They just notice it is "good enough" for them (or not), without any substantial comparison to EDH. Even if performance in space in EDO is subjectively fine, it has to be noted, that either the framerate is much lower or the hardware is under considerable more load compared to EDH.
Considering last gen consoles, a performance degradation of 50% and more (without a corresponding uplift in visual quality) is just a deal braker. Because even EDHs performance demands where pushing those console close to the limit already.

Why don't we let FDev do their shader optimisation. With shaders, its a black art to get the best performance out of the HW. Its so flexible that it takes time to understand how to optimise it all.

Before you decide to park your commander forever, I'd wait and see how close they can get in Odyssey in the space game to the Horizon performance.

At the moment on my 2017 1080 card at 1920x1080 in Odyssey i'm maxed out at 60fps in space. Which is fine.

Why don't we let FDev do their shader optimisation. With shaders, its a black art to get the best performance out of the HW. Its so flexible that it takes time to understand how to optimise it all.

Before you decide to park your commander forever, I'd wait and see how close they can get in Odyssey in the space game to the Horizon performance.

At the moment on my 2017 1080 card at 1920x1080 in Odyssey i'm maxed out at 60fps in space. Which is fine.

Easy to say when you can get 60fps. I run a 1050ti that runs EDH at 1080p max and holds 60fps+. Odyssey content is a sideshow for me, and space is noticeably slower.

As for why not wait and see? FD would literally have to multiply EDO's performance to make their claim that EDO will run similar to EDH come true. Have you seen a game multiply it's performance before? That's why waiting to see it a fool's errand.

Easy to say when you can get 60fps. I run a 1050ti that runs EDH at 1080p max and holds 60fps+. Odyssey content is a sideshow for me, and space is noticeably slower.

As for why not wait and see? FD would literally have to multiply EDO's performance to make their claim that EDO will run similar to EDH come true. Have you seen a game multiply it's performance before? That's why waiting to see it a fool's errand.
The only game it did it was no mas sky, they multiplied performance and content. With only 10 GB in your hard drive.

That's what u call procedural generation.

Sean Murray did in NMS what Uncle Braben did when created Elite.

A Master piece.

Top Bottom