Lighting weirdness

Some people are saying they found the solution.

In Blender set your unit scale to 1 unit = 1 cm. Then scale your models by 100. This is what Max does as well. Too bad that they don't actually explain this properly in the guide. Took way too much time to figure out.

Uploading right now with the unit to 1cm solution. Hopping it will work !

I know that "Autodesk FBX Converter" is an extra step, but if I use other software than 3ds max I always use the converter (even if the software exported it as fbx)

@oli414 thanks for sharing

@frontier sad that you didn't provided the sample files before the toolkit (we're all still waiting)

I know that "Autodesk FBX Converter" is an extra step, but if I use other software than 3ds max I always use the converter (even if the software exported it as fbx)

@oli414 thanks for sharing

@frontier sad that you didn't provided the sample files before the toolkit (we're all still waiting)

Already stated before that Autodesk FBX converter did not solve the problem [wink]

EDIT : ok I'm having the "FailedFBXload" bug again so can't test the solution right now...

Can confirm that I removed this lighting issue by setting my Blender scene units 'Length' to "Metric" and 'Unit Scale' to "0.01". After doing this, if you've already built a model it will need to be scaled up by 100 so it becomes the correct size again (as it will be 1/100th the size after you reduce the scene scale). Don't forget to apply any object scaling you need to do so the values reset to 1.0 before export (this is the object scale now, not the scene scale, scene unit scale always stays at 0.01).

Scene settings: https://i.imgur.com/hvgMlZC.png

Then when you export your model you use these settings: https://i.imgur.com/1W5JkQx.png

Big shout out to Joeywp on Deladysigners discord for these settings.

Edit: Worth saying you should Save As your blender project before you mess about with any of this stuff.. just in case!

Last edited:
@lucasup in the Screenshot (under my post with the settings) I see a setting that is not in my Screenshot!

"apply scalings" (you have "all local" if I'm right)

What happens if you set this to "FBX all"?
(with the scaling and settings in a Screenshot)

@mineraljunction AWESOME! That does fix the issue. Thanks so much. HOWEVER now my hexagon is coming into the game at the wrong rotation. I'm using YForward / ZUP. Should I be manually rotating my object in blender, or using a different setting? I tried the default -Z Forward/YUP and it was correct rotation but giving me the lighting problem again
wrongway.jpg

I also started getting a weird bug, where It was starting to load the OLD version of the model, even though I had deleted the old pcugc file. Naming the new version something different (ie hexagon2.pcugc) fixed this issue. Not a great bug to add to the confusion!

Ah yeah, forgot about that. The objects initial orientation/rotation is not right on mine anymore also, but I think tweaking the Y Forward Z Up options should rectify that. Haven't gotten round to testing the different options yet though. Just was so pleased to have the lighting fixed, haha.

Edit: I'm also now finding that textures/materials aren't working properly for me on models that I built before and applied this scaling stuff to. However, test cubes and a couple of bits that I've built from scratch this morning with the right scaling settings set before hand are all working fine. Not sure how to fix that. Might not be a problem for others?

@mineraljunction I've tried both -ZForward/YUP and ZForward/YUP and both of them fix the rotation BUT RE-INTRODUCE THE LIGHTING ERROR. There are more variations to try but I'm giving up for the day. Let me know if you find the magic combination!

So far, the only fix for I've found is you have to manually rotate the object in Blender -90° X and 180° Y (so that Y axis = up and the Z axis = forwards, just like the instructions say you have to do for ANIMATED objects). EDIT: Don't forget to APPLY the rotation as well! As far as I can tell, changing the Up/Forward options re-introduce the lighting bug.

That said, we now at least have A WAY of making things in blender without problems, even if it requires some extra steps!

Last edited:
I hope a dev can come in and help you guys. After all it says right in the document it’s one of a few apps supported! Whatever that means..

I have to say that I'm disappointed that we simply have not gotten a response from Frontier about this issue. At least we can make it work now, thanks, everyone!

I think I solved it guys !!

I believe I have figured out how to get the proper lighting effect without your object being angled in-game, but that means all of your previously created models have to be scrapped. [wacky]

Here's how I did it:

When I first import a mesh/object, the absolute first thing I do is to rotate it -90 degrees on X-axis and 180 on Y-axis. From that point on that is when I'll start shaping the model. So when my model is created (and optionally textured) the item will already have been rotated along the pre-set axis for your exporting process. Which means that when you export FBX with "Z forward" and "Y up" your model will appear in game just as you have it created in Blender.

Thought it was too easy not to try it but yet here we are.

I think I solved it guys !!

I believe I have figured out how to get the proper lighting effect without your object being angled in-game, but that means all of your previously created models have to be scrapped. [wacky]

Here's how I did it:

When I first import a mesh/object, the absolute first thing I do is to rotate it -90 degrees on X-axis and 180 on Y-axis. From that point on that is when I'll start shaping the model. So when my model is created (and optionally textured) the item will already have been rotated along the pre-set axis for your exporting process. Which means that when you export FBX with "Z forward" and "Y up" your model will appear in game just as you have it created in Blender.

Thought it was too easy not to try it but yet here we are.

Lucasup already stated this solution earlier [wink] And yes it's the only solution right now for this.

Last edited:
@Delgus yes this is the exact solution we have found. I had already updated the main post with the solution. I'm wondering if I should make it more obvious this problem is solved this way somehow?

@oli414 I did create a ticket and get a message from support before I had figured out the rotation issue.
Thank you for getting in touch with us in regards to this issue and I apologise for you having experienced this.

I'll be honest with you, this is very much new territory for us, therefore we are still learning. However, the thread you have provided is super useful!

From reading through it, I am able to see that a few users have managed to resolve the issue. It looks like there have been issues with the preset Blender FBX exporter. In order to rectify this, set your unit scale to 1 unit = 1 cm. Then scale your asset by 100.

I have also read that people have manged to avoid this problem by using 3D Max.

If you proceed to make those tweaks are you able to resolve the issue?

I look forward to your response and ask that if you have any additional questions or issues, to please not hesitate to ask as we are here and always happy to help :D

Best regards,

Park Inspector Bubbles

I have replied to this message saying that it would be great if developers could confirm there's not an easier way we're missing OR update the website manual to reflect the changes we needed to make.

Hey guys, another important update.
I figured out a way to export using Binary options...
https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sh...ur-not-working?p=245887&viewfull=1#post245887

Its super weird. Basically if your objects have a NON-ZEROED OUT rotational value of -90x, 180y and 180z
The lighting issue is fixed! Using binary export! I have to test to confirm that these are the only values that work (IE maybe 0z is fine EDIT: It doesn't).
Surely there has to be a way of replicating this in the export settings by changing the forward/up axis to something different? I'm so confused.

EDIT: These rotational values make an object face Z Forward and -Y UP. I'm testing to see if changing export settings instead of rotating the objects work.

Binary export test - Zeroed rotation but with following Forward/Up on export:
Y Forward and Z UP (Recommended settings): Still has lighting issue
Z Forward and -Y UP: Still has lighting issue
-Z Forward and -Y UP: Still has lighting issue
-Y Forward and Z UP: Still has lighting issue
-Z Forward Y UP (Default Settings): Still has lighting issue
Y Forward and -Z UP: Still has lighting issue
-Y Forward and -Z UP: Still has lighting issue
Z Forward and Y UP: Still has lighting issue

GUYS I FEEL LIKE I'M ON TO SOMETHING, every time I change the forward/up settings the lighting error CHANGES, even if it still exists. But the light is wrong in a different direction. But there are a total of around 30 possible combinations of these. Anyone have any insight or help?

Posted to Reddit with a plan here: https://www.reddit.com/r/thememakerstoolkit/comments/a0nmtk/i_need_your_help/

Last edited:
THESE SETTINGS WORK FOR ME GUYS! I THINK I FIGURED OUT THE EASIEST SOLUTION

MAGICAL BINARY SETTINGS.PNG
-Remember to also check the "Animation" tab and turn off animations if exporting a static object.
-APPLY ROTATIONS AND SCALE. Rotations must be set to 0

Pros:
-Can use Meter Scale (Not centimeters, THOUGH centimeter scale may also work...)
-No need for any strange rotations. Build your model as if Y= Forward and Z = UP
-No lighting issues

Con: Using an "experimental" feature?

Anyone want to confirm and test with objects they've been having trouble with?

Last edited:
So I tried all of your suggestions but it is still not working. I do have a down facing lighting error
When i look from the sides it is perfect but as soon as i tilt the camera it starts to blur.

20181127172807_1.jpg

this is my unit setting

Unbenannt.PNG

and my export settings

Unbenannt.PNG

any ideas? :D

@Korall I tested this with an object I made with a similar shape, but had no reflective material, and it did not have the problem you show. The more and more I look/think about this, I more confirm to myself that this is the result of your textures being too shiny/reflective. The camera angle changing the lighting is a big tell. The game has a "screenspace reflection" on objects that put a fake reflection of things/colours around them, but only when the camera is at an angle that makes this easy to do. The lighting issue for me has NEVER changed like this with camera angle, only on OBJECT rotation.

THESE SETTINGS WORK FOR ME GUYS! I THINK I FIGURED OUT THE EASIEST SOLUTION

View attachment 2498
-Remember to also check the "Animation" tab and turn off animations if exporting a static object.
-APPLY ROTATIONS AND SCALE. Rotations must be set to 0

Pros:
-Can use Meter Scale (Not centimeters, THOUGH centimeter scale may also work...)
-No need for any strange rotations. Build your model as if Y= Forward and Z = UP
-No lighting issues

Con: Using an "experimental" feature?

Anyone want to confirm and test with objects they've been having trouble with?

That looks very promising! Will try that out once I get home, that'd be a lot faster then opening 3DS max just to export.

EDIT: Can confirm that that works perfectly!

Capture.PNG

Gonna make an export preset for that :+1:

You should send this solution to frontier so they can update the guide

Last edited:
Top Bottom