Linux CMDRs- a PSA that the game works via Proton. And also works on Intel Arc and Iris Xe GPUs

Good morning CMDRs o7

I am playing the game happily on Linux :) My laptop also has an iGPU that doesn't work with Elite on Windows.

Protips for Linux flying; use min-ed-launcher, update your drivers, and for me, I had to let the game sit at Planetary Generation for around fifteen minutes on first load- every load since, it loads in seconds. This is on Live 4.0.

Arch Linux (btw) with an Intel i5-1135G7 with Iris Xe iGPU, 8GB RAM, and a 512GB nVME ssd, running via repository Steam with Proton Experimental bleeding edge.

Fly dangerous CMDRs o7

Can you state the version of proton bleeding edge that you are running as of the date your posting, so that later when updates brake it users can downgrade proton back to that number that was running it well on your system...
Other titles ran well but "updates" stopped games working... untill they downgraded proton...

ED has been running fine for with wine-staging for years, no proton required.
(Plain wine gets me a weird periodic pause/frame drop. Only sometimes, and ymmv, obviously.)

Here's the official unofficial support thread:

I have an Intel Arc A370M and Iris Xe on my i7 12700H.
The game crashes on Planetary generation outright. No logs or anything.
I tried running it on the iGPU as well but still no luck.

Top Bottom