Little helpful facts - Did you know that...

... that you end up in front of a station's mailslot when approaching it from the body it orbits.

Was true 100% of the time in the old 1984 Elite, but not that true in ED... at least, not *directly in front*. Generally you can see the entrance if you approach from the body, but it is usually angled away from the body by some degrees.

I have even encountered once or twice that the entrance is angled almost 90 degrees away from the body it orbits (but not lately).

Did you know that the holographic display of your target is accurate even in supercruise? Means, if the slot of a station points at you on the hologram, it will also point at you on arrival.

That you can scoop canisters directly from a planet surface with your spacecraft? You don't HAVE to have an SRV with you.

Wel I didn't know till just now. I don't know if it's craft specific and you will scratch your shield of course, but I can in my Asp Explorer.

N.B. It can get a bit messy if they are lying up against something, but it's possible to nudge them free by ramming them gently.

Did you know that you can shorten super-cruise time slightly?

When approaching a station in supercruise, your speed will typically reach the blue drop out band before your distance does. At this point you can start to accelerate again gaining a few extra seconds (good if you are being approached from behind).

It makes drops from SC to Stations possible at 3 or 4 seconds on the ETA.

Did you know that the holographic display of your target is accurate even in supercruise? Means, if the slot of a station points at you on the hologram, it will also point at you on arrival.

This is true. But one must remember your ship hologram when no input is being given points up and to the right slightly.(not straight fwd as you are flying) So as a result you need to have to slot on the station point slightly down and to the left if you want to exit sc lined up directly in front of the slot for a straight shot in.

If you fly with the station hologram perfectly at 0,0 oriention of the Vert and horiz you will come out of sc facing and seeing slot, but you will not be lined up correctly. This can be helpful when you don't want to be hanging around outside a station lining up your approach.

Also I believe your positional relationship between ship and station etc. is locked in once you reach safe drop. Meaning moving your ship around will no longer change how you will appear in front of the station when you drop out of sc. (Idk for sure, but it seems like it )

Last edited:

This is such a great and positive thread, thank you Valorin.

Cheap toilet paper is just as good if not better than the premium, tracing paper style being my favourite

I disagree though I don't wish to smear that all over the internet.

Was true 100% of the time in the old 1984 Elite, but not that true in ED... at least, not *directly in front*. Generally you can see the entrance if you approach from the body, but it is usually angled away from the body by some degrees.

I have even encountered once or twice that the entrance is angled almost 90 degrees away from the body it orbits (but not lately).

I learned from the learned Dr. Kaii, the entrances are 45 degrees relative from the equator to the north pole of the planet. happy xmas everyone.

That you can avoid overshooting an orbital Station or Outpost, by throttling down, de-selecting it then reselect once speed is bled off? You're welcome.

Top Bottom