Live Forum Q&A - Design!

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
The Q & A Session for this event has ended, no further questions will be actively answered in this thread! Thanks. ~Brett C

Hey guys,

It's the final week before the alpha 2 launch and we've got one more live forum Q&A before its release.

In this week, we're getting a chance to talk with the incredible Planet Coaster Design team. We were expecting to be joined by the well-known Richard Newbold from production but he's currently on paternity leave after having his first child (Exciting news! Be sure to send some congratulations when he's back) so this Q&A will be 100% Game Design focused!

Try and keep the questions on topic and about Game Design specifically. Remember that these Q&A sessions are all about getting the community closer to the development teams and looking at the detail that goes into making the game.

So get your questions in now and we'll be with you tomorrow at 6pm BST - 8pm BST!

Thanks!

Zac

Last edited:
Firstly, congrats to Richard :D

Think you need to be a bit more specific about design, logo design, coaster design, guest design, I could go on :p

Questions about all sorts of topics regarding the game will be asked anyhow based on previous Q&As so in short, ask whatever you want [tongue]

Oh yeah and congrats to Rich, his #2 and newborn!! [up]

Last edited:
While working out your overall design plan, where do you draw the line in regards to "cuz realism"? Your customers want EVERYTHING, including parking lots, hotel/resort management, seasons, realtime construction, fire ants...the list is endless. You can't possibly include everything everyone wants, so how do you decide how far to go, and what is feasible, important, and a positive effect to the whole package?

Last edited:
Hallo to the design team.

Congratulation Richard. Have a wonderful time with your family.

After watching all the artwork, screens, Alpha1, streams and all the Q&A it is hard to find words for the beautiful work. Back 2015 i hoped it would be like that and the complete team is on a brilliant path to create something which the community and especially the mods deserve after holding this kind of game alive with RCT 3. And the team deserves every Wow, Omg and Applause they get.

I would like to ask three questions. One might not be design related, but maybe you have an answer anyway.
Can we keep the parks we created with all of its content or do we start from zero?

My second question would be about one of my personal favourits. The sound team gave a small insight.
When you thought about going through the day was it an idea from the start to not just do day and night cycle, but giving each moment of the day its own optic and feel.
What was your inspiration to do the sunrise adn sundown like that. Eight weeks and i find myself watching it from time to time and still be amazed by it. The park in front and the sun in the back.

Last edited:
hmmm, I am curious about designs we've seen online that we haven't seen in game yet, for example, the dragon version of the "Magic Twirl" also curious if anyone from the team has made any real life coasters or any real life parks in game yet :p Oh, I know...

Can you guys show off any designs / creations you've made in game using Alpha 1 (and 2 if allowed) after seeing what the community has made? or anything recent we can see using which ever build, without spoiling rides we haven't seen etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will we be able to recolour building piece and scenery?

If i want to match fantasy and scifi theme together, is there a way for me to recolour those to make a dystopian area?

Resizing scenary piece an idea you might put in game. ( see sims 4(preferlable +0.25x instead of +2x the size))

Hello guys,

I was waiting this more generic Q&A about design and development since the begining, so I prepared few frequently seen interrogations (corresponding to some of our feedbacks and suggestions) which might interest the whole community.

1) You showed the beginning of a "3D Gizmo" allow us to "move" and "rotate" objects, but this kind of tool generally includes the ability to "scale" too (just like the scaling tool we saw on the coaster track). Is it planned for later ?
2) Is it possible to have a "real" natural path tool, which mean without the curbs (white fences/wooden logs) in addition of the two new types of paths you showed ?
3) We can use a first person camera on guests for now, but we can not control it with WASD. This feature is very often suggested, especially since this could allow us to visit parks thanks to the future sharing system. Is it a planned functionality ?
4) Still speaking of frequently asked suggestions : It is possible to consider building "hotels" in the future, as imagined here and here for example, allowing us to make "resort" outside the park ?
5) Do you know when we will have access to chairs and tables to start making real "Seated" Restaurants ?
7) About the "waiting queues", is it possible to consider improvements like a Fastpass system, a "Split" booth or PreShows ?

Thanks a lot for your answers. [yesnod][up]

For so many fans of the genre, you guys are definitely blowing expectations way out of the park! This is a dream game for so many (and I bet a dream job!). When you were in the early days of designing the concept art and figuring out the look and feel of the game, did you think the final product would turn out as incredible as you envisioned? /gush

Also, will you guys release or sell a digital art book with all the designs and concepts you made? That would be sweet! And a soundtrack too? [money][money]

Congats Richard for your baby! (I apologize for my bad english)

One thing that bothers me and i find really annoying in the previous RCT games is the fact that no one leaves the park at night. Why I find it annoying, it's because when your park has entrance fees and your rides are free, you cannot make much money if John McDonald (random name) was in the park for 1 year, 7 months and 23 days. At that time, it was hard to implement that kind of gameplay, but now I think you have enough knowledge and abilities to do that. I don't want to remove the old style gameplay either, but just add this.

Having guest leaving the park and coming the next morning would add more possibilities and options to the game. (I see this as "expert" mode which would attract hardcore players) Then, the game could have hotels and resorts, night management, seasons, realism, ... As Bitter Jeweler said, the possibilities and the list are endless.
Also, this could be an issue for time management (how long last a day), perhaps diminish the fun factor of the game and more.

That said, Here's my questions [noob] Are you going to add that type of gameplay? Have you consider it? Where do you draw the line between fun and realism? It is something completely different and new that I really wanted to see on theme park game. I saw crowd entering park at once on the trailer an first dev diary, so maybe it is going to happen on the final release.

Thank you for answering and stay awesome guys! [up] The game is incredible!

Congratulations to Richard!

My questions: What would say are the most complex objects in the game to design, and what do you consider to be the most innovative feature for this park builder?

Last edited:
Top Bottom