Long or Short Games?

Long games and bing TV shows has ruined movies for me, LOL. Even the three hour Endgame movie felt too short and rushed in comparison.

Long games and bing TV shows has ruined movies for me, LOL. Even the three hour Endgame movie felt too short and rushed in comparison.

Das Boot has a 6 hour extended edit, if you're into lengthy treats.

I liked when games were still having a chaotic level design, like Halo:CE, when after you cared about playing the story over and over,
you just made a sport of grenade jumping. Those were the days. Sending Warthogs from one side of the island to the other with a bang!
Just to save on gasoline, of course! :rolleyes:

Thats "books" for me. Good books are as rare as good movies but they do have the advantage that they usually manage to set up amtopshere and situation correctly while a movie has to cram everything into 90 or 120 minutes. logic and all be damned. Its especially hard for book adaptations. There is not a single movie based on a novel that I would consider "good". They are all cut, are missing critical scenes/situations and often focus more on the BAM then on the story.

Kinda like AAA games today. Most of them hardly offer any improvements over their prequels and the most impressive feature usually are the special effects. I recently went and watched Captain Marvel before I m going to watch Endgame and I cannot believe that movie was received well....its just trash IMO but hey....Transformers also brings ini big bucks and I dont really know why.

In game development superb visuals are not cheap. And even with advanced game engines offering better stock quality in graphics providing good visuals is a time and money intensive thing. So its no wonder that most "great looking games" today come out offering basic or too short gameplay. I rather have less impressive visuals but a more complex game.

Same for books. I can easily do without CGI and special effects....my imagination usually is more impressive anyway and a good book is able to nourish my mind whereas a movie is like a quick drug....exorbitantly expensive, over too quickly and it doesnt satisfy you.

I like infinite sandbox open ended style games. Civilization series, Rimworld, Total War grand campaigns. I love procedural generation in games, Minecraft etc. Exploring and being immersed in worlds created just for you.

Perpetual games like Planetside 1 or Arma appeal to me. The community makes the experience. The Devs just gave out the tools. I miss three day interfarms. I miss taking the caves off an enemy faction while a stalemate rages above and your small squad gains the buffs and benefits that turn the tide. I miss slaying 4 to 6 people in one clip and the hate tells and hacker accusations that came with it. All this from games over 16 years old.

Oh no........ just updated my warhammer 40k mod for Stellaris...
The God Emperor calls! Now begins my weeks long grand campaign to exterminate all non-humans and unbelievers from the emperor's galaxy!

Longish. I can't think of too many short games that maintain my interest.

Agreed the only game I can think of at all that was very short but amazing was called Dust on Xbox 360 Arcade, you manipulated terrain and water for environmental puzzles to complete the stages, it was a wonderful experience that always stayed with me. Oh yeah and Peggle / Plants Vs Zombies. Play them with my daughter all the time.

Agreed the only game I can think of at all that was very short but amazing was called Dust on Xbox 360 Arcade, you manipulated terrain and water for environmental puzzles to complete the stages, it was a wonderful experience that always stayed with me. Oh yeah and Peggle / Plants Vs Zombies. Play them with my daughter all the time.
I have a tendency to be very thorough, exploring every nook and cranny, reading every passage (in an rpg) and I rarely hurry, so some games that people can speed through take me a lot longer than average. I think the original Bioshock took me around 30+ hours to beat because I was so busy trying new combinations and trap setups. If I like the game, and I better if I'm going to bother playing it, I always take my time and savor it's world.

Top Bottom