Newcomer / Intro Long range passenger missions (what would you do??)

Just took a passenger 35kly into Goliath's Rest, was trying to land on the nearby planet to save and quit and start the trip back tomorrow. Shields off, hull damage and now passenger is miserable.
Question: Is it worth to suicide back to the bubble and be done with it or should I try to finish?
Mission is worth 50 million + some exploration data + about 2,5 - 3 million in bounty vouchers. I would take a week to return.

I'd probably carry on. If the prima donna in the back hadn't thrown a hissy fit, you would still be intending to do the week long run back. I can't remember, is there ever a chance to cheer these miserable sods up? Don't they throw out requests, like 'Oh stop off here and get me some consumer goods'?

What is the penalty when they go miserable?

I'd probably carry on. If the prima donna in the back hadn't thrown a hissy fit, you would still be intending to do the week long run back. I can't remember, is there ever a chance to cheer these miserable sods up? Don't they throw out requests, like 'Oh stop off here and get me some consumer goods'?

What is the penalty when they go miserable?
That's the problem, from what I heard you can't raise their happiness and there's a considerable chance they'll just eject themselves out of the ship, failing the mission. Hence the doubt. This guy is a explorer so he won't request anything.

Really? I cant recall ever hearing that before, not that I'm a leading authority on these things. I did a bunch of these a long time ago, not long range like yours. I smashed into something, passenger was unhappy and just asked to be dropped off at the nearest station.I think my fee got dented, but I got something. I don't know that they just eject from the ship, 35kly from home.

Really? I cant recall ever hearing that before, not that I'm a leading authority on these things. I did a bunch of these a long time ago, not long range like yours. I smashed into something, passenger was unhappy and just asked to be dropped off at the nearest station.I think my fee got dented, but I got something. I don't know that they just eject from the ship, 35kly from home.
I don't think they'd do it that far, but once you're closer to the bubble they could, or they could ask to be dropped at the nearest station... I just don't want to spend a week for that to happen.

LOL just did! Somewhere over the galactic center there's a very mad group of explorers!! You know what's funny? When I was fuel scooping and fell into the star and suffered hull damage down to 85% they were unfazed by it. Only when I hit the damn Dolphin back on the ground of the planet they decided to complain... go figure that one out!!

Never found these missions to be fun or lucrative.

Could really use a pass at some point as the system is frankly stupid.
Yeah, long range passenger missions are really excuses to do some exploration. Short range ones are more for fast rep increase and market info. They missions per se are really not fun.

Some passenger missions fail if your hull goes below 75%. Can you still see the description of the mission that says anything about hull damage? If so, chuck out the passenger because you're wasting your time.

Youve still got the explo data, have you checked how much that is worth?

Personally Id just carry on doing whatever I want, if if I want to go over there Ill go over there, or take the long route back, or come straight back Id do it and at this point if the explorer stays with me its a bonus, if they eject then meh. Im not doing it for them anyway, they were just along for the ride.

... I would take a week to return.

That can be done faster. You said "Dolphin", so I'll assume a reasonable build with 45 ly jump range and a 4A scoop. According to Spansh's Neutron plotter, that's slightly over 300 jumps if you use Neutron Boosts. From my experience, The Dolphin can do between 4 and 10 kly/hr (without Neutrons or inside one of Neutron fields with in-game Neutron plotting). These two roughly match - you can do those 35 kly in ~3 to 6 hours game time using a Neutron route.

---

Edit: or you cah check for a DSSA carrier in your area and dock for repairs and cashing in the explo data.

Top Bottom