Look what I found

I’m against such cheap animals, they take far less time to create than say meerkat or porcupine, but they ask the same money for it, the Masai Giraffe or Nile Croc will be reasons I don’t buy a pack.

@Fossa just wondering did you buy the Asia pack which featured a edited Malayan tapir model? While I don’t think a Masai giraffe or Nile crocodile are most people’s first choices I can’t say in a pack of 8 which is probably what we’ll get in a Africa pack it’s any different then Asia using the Malayan tapir.
BCC81512-57E4-4E91-9BB5-1D65CDBD2A63.jpeg

17C071FD-02B6-4C3A-9614-8A5A6F9BCB55.jpeg

I personally think the option to have a Masai giraffe over the reticulated in some personal zoos is a great choice. Like I said it’s not my first choice but at the same time I can see frontiers reasoning also for doing the occasional reskin with edits. Judging by the requests in a debated reskin thread the majority of the community wouldn’t mind the occasional reskin animal. Like I said tho depends on pack size too in a pack of 4 definitely new animals if possible in a pack of 8 not the end of the world.

@Fossa just wondering did you buy the Asia pack which featured a edited Malayan tapir model? While I don’t think a Masai giraffe or Nile crocodile are most people’s first choices I can’t say in a pack of 8 which is probably what we’ll get in a Africa pack it’s any different then Asia using the Malayan tapir.
View attachment 216985
View attachment 216986
I personally think the option to have a Masai giraffe over the reticulated in some personal zoos is a great choice. Like I said it’s not my first choice but at the same time I can see frontiers reasoning also for doing the occasional reskin with edits. Judging by the requests in a debated reskin thread the majority of the community wouldn’t mind the occasional reskin animal. Like I said tho depends on pack size too in a pack of 4 definitely new animals if possible in a pack of 8 not the end of the world.

The thing is, there are so many amazing African animals left with entirely new rigs, even in a 7 habitat animal pack choosing them will be tough. Eg: white rhino, African leopard, serval, meerkat, impala, fennec fox.

I totally agree with you for sure. 7 new and unique rigs is almost always better then the occasional reskin animal with edits as a Masai giraffe is slightly different than the reticulated. I guess it comes down to personal choice too tho. In my case a choice between a Masai giraffe or impala I’d honestly probably choose the giraffe. I like impala and certainly wouldn’t object to having one but in my case we have the springbok and Thompson’s gazelle even tho not the same. In my case I just think I’d use the giraffe more then the impala. But that’s just me I respect anyone else’s wants or opinions. Frontier has done the occasional reskin animal in the Arctic and Asia pack so far and will probably continue to do so once in awhile. As I mentioned I prefer a frontier reskin over a mod any day of the week. I have nothing against mods but I hardly see the point of a gibbon that acts and sounds like a chimpanzee just to have more animals.

Last edited:
If you choose just another giraffe over the giraffe-gazelle called Genenuk, then you are just strange in my eyes.

Look, Zoo Tycoon 2 also added another Giraffe to it's African-based expansion, BUT, there were LOTS of animals in those packs, frontier only brings a maximum of 8 animals to the table, in such a case just another re-colored giraffe from the same country is just a huge waste of oppertunity, and a cheap way to earn money.

The Tapir, eventhough I would have liked to only have 1 of them (the Asian one is more unique in my eyes) is from an entire different part of the world and the colors are extremely different, not so much the Massai Giraffe, which even has the same colors than the one we already have.

I would find it every cheap if they added just another Giraffe in the AFrican-pack, over very unique new animals.

Last edited:
The pattern and size and sometimes even color is different on the Masai giraffe. Like I said I agree for the most part 7 new animals is almost always better depending on how much I’d use said animal and is it a animal I’d personally like to have? Like I said everyone has different personal choices. I never said tho I’d choose a giraffe over a genunuk I said giraffe over impala. It’s just my opinion I look at how much I’d use the impala vs the giraffe and which one stands out to me and my zoos. I’ve listed a pack recently on a thread just the other day on which 8 animals I’d like to see in a African dlc and none of the choices included the Nile croc or giraffe. But some animals are going to be hit and miss tho frontier will continue to do the occasional reskin and given the fact Africa will more then likely be 8 animals chances are good it’s at least plausible to think a reskin is possible. Give me 6 unique animals and 1 reskin and I can live with that tbh. Give me 6 reskins which will never happen although I’d be pretty disappointed for sure and I may buy it at a sale price just to have the extra animals and at frontier quality.

I didn't really replied to you alone though, the more frontier reads about people don't liking another Giraffe or Crocodile in the pack, the more chance I (we, the one who don't want clones) will have a good African pack.

Most people see that as unfair for people that want a copy-giraffe in the pack, but I think such people are rather a bit selfish to want another giraffe while they already have one.

@Fossa I totally agree a giraffe or croc would never be my first choice for sure. All’s I’m saying simply is if we did it’s not the end of the world. Here’s my actual wishlist just so you see I too hope for more unique animals.
White rhino,black rhino,meerkat,Hamadryas baboon,fennec fox,dromedary camel not that its high on my list but I think due to in game decor will get it. And number 7 would be either the Secretary Bird or Caracal. Exhibit black mamba.

It's not the end of the world, nothing is, but it will be a VERY, VERY huge disappointment if they add such as simple creation.

It's not the end of the world, nothing is, but it will be a VERY, VERY huge disappointment if they add such as simple creation.

Honestly, the Malayan tapir was a reskin but pretty cool. I think if they give us 6-1 or even 5-2 new models to reskins, were doing pretty well. So maybe we get one of those two and hopefully everyone would be happy with that solution.

Well to each their own lol I can respect that. They call the shots so I guess will see what happens. Just wanted to add really quick tho while you mentioned the Malayan tapir as a cool unique choice which I now agree but it’s all personal opinion some in fact didn’t want the tapir. If I could choose I would personally prefer this tapir
652446E4-6873-4BB1-B95E-6E4D822DEE0A.jpeg

In my opinion the Brazilian is very unique similar to a prehistoric version you’d see. But just my opinion. Some people would have liked a asiatic lion or Sumatran tiger in the Asia pack others not. But some people have requested the blue wildebeest or Nile croc. Or wouldn’t mind a Masai giraffe others would of course. As I mentioned if we’re getting a reskin and I have to choose some I’d prefer more then others but the simple attitude a lion is just another lion or croc or giraffe is simply not true your still getting a similar but different unique animal to use in your zoos separated by hundreds or thousands of yrs of evolution. At the end of the day I too prefer unique species but to think frontier will stop including the occasional simple animal is probably not going to happen. From a business standpoint it does have its advantages and the majority are still going to buy the pack.

Last edited:
I understand you defend leopards, but do you really want another giraffe, zebra or lion to spiol one of the Afrikans 8 precious spaces? Those Masai Giraffe or Grevy Zebra don’t behave any different at all.
I agree with not preferring simple reskinned animals, such as a Massai giraffe.

However, I would like to point out that Grevyi zebras actually do behave very differently from plains zebras ;) They are wandering animals and live solitarily, except mothers with their foals. Males guard their territory fiercely and mate with females who are passing through. This is very unlike plains zebras, who live in herds that consist of a male and his harem. Males guard their harem, not a territory.

And then of course there's the physical differences, which are striking! Grevyi zebras are much larger than plains zebras. They have very large ears, almost like a donkey, and their noses are brown instead of black. Their stripes are very thin instead of thick and wide like plains zebras, and their belly is white because the stripes don't go underneath like with the plains.

Fun facts: Grevyis and plains zebras come across each other in the wild, and because Grevyi zebras are so large and aggressive they easily displace plains zebra males from their herds. However, Grevyi males aren't interested in taking care of a herd so they quickly move on. The resulting crossbred offspring have a phenotype in the middle between both species.

Here you can see just how much larger a grevyi zebra is compared to a plains zebra:
grevys-zebra_gallery_9.jpg

Below is a grevyi x plains zebra hybrid:
EItEq6VX0AIV0m-

And here is a hybrid male fighting with a pure plains male. You can see how the hybrid is still much larger than the pure plains. The stripes are thinner, some go over the belly and others do not, and the rear pattern is an intermediate between the grevy and plains patterns.
EI10imtXUAAPEKk
EI10jZ4XkAAzZ7x

EI10htJW4AAq14F

Still I would really hate one spot of the 8 being spoiled by just another Zebra, I'd rather have the horse with the difficult Russian name and the Onager as other horse-like animals.

Another Lion would be really cheap, then I would rebel on this forum to no end.

I agree @avietar some subspecies are very cool animals. @Fossa how is a asiatic lion cheap. They’re conservation status and differences between them and African lions could definitely warrant them being in game. Just like a Sumatran tiger. I’m just saying if I was at a real zoo that featured both lions as there actually is one where they were right beside each other I’d stop and look at both. True both lions but very different at the same time. You can’t rebel on a forum just because something didn’t go your way lol. Tons of people weren’t blown away with the tapir and Arctic wolf but no one caused a ruckus over it either.

I believe I've said this to Brandon before, but the Big Five he mentions are for game hunters, not biologists or zoologists. The Big Five were considered the five most prestigious animals to hunt for sport, which is not at all what PZ is about. The term "Big Five" has absolutely no bearing on zoos whatsoever.

I personally don't want the African leopard. They aren't especially endangered, and they aren't common in zoos. I don't mind having a leopard, but the Amur leopard or Persian leopard would be my preference.

@Brandon Gill, what Leopard species in particular? Or just a generic Leopard? My personal favorite is the Indian (Jungle Book, my favorite books/movies). People keep asking for Amur Leopards. Others want African. (Are there any other species?)

I'm just curious, that's all. (Speaking of Leopards, wow, the Clouded Leopard is beautiful and in the zoopedia image it's doing a face my cat does😆)

I believe I've said this to Brandon before, but the Big Five he mentions are for game hunters, not biologists or zoologists. The Big Five were considered the five most prestigious animals to hunt for sport, which is not at all what PZ is about. The term "Big Five" has absolutely no bearing on zoos whatsoever.

I personally don't want the African leopard. They aren't especially endangered, and they aren't common in zoos. I don't mind having a leopard, but the Amur leopard or Persian leopard would be my preference.

Dingos are almost unheard of outside of Australia — only very recently have they been allowed as part of breeding programs to save the species. Regardless of how it started, the big five are five of the animals most associated with Africa and are, in fact, used by safari operators in Africa. They should, IMO, be in the game. If we get an African animal pack (summer?) I can’t see them being left out.

Top Bottom