lost your binds? want hasstle free backed up binds look no further

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Man I have to thank you guys for creating this thread. I bookmarked this back in September. This Christmas I got a new series x and two controllers. One for my pc. Connecting it to my pc the bindings were trashed. But with this guide, I backed up my bindings back in September, since they were perfect. I copied the device ID from my new controller to my backed up bindings, then moved it to the bindings folder and everything is back to normal. This was too easy.... From a technical standpoint. Thanks

Well this kinda worked nicely, apart from today’s update appears to have killed support for my xbox controller - i use it for menus & SRV, but HOTAS for just about everything else. Anyone else have any issues Today? I‘m on PC btw.

Did you have the controller plugged in and powered before launching E: D?
Yes, it doesn’t get disconnected often either. Worked fine yesterday too, ran the update, now ED takes no input from it. I tried dis/re connection & reload too. Windows recognises the usb change of state when i did that too.

Yes, it doesn’t get disconnected often either. Worked fine yesterday too, ran the update, now ED takes no input from it. I tried dis/re connection & reload too. Windows recognises the usb change of state when i did that too.
Dang, was worth a try anyway.

I’ll confirm the controller hasn‘t just given up later, then try reseting my bindings. I did try the “controller” bindings, no joy there though either. Weeeeeird!

this is profoundly insane. Not only did I lose all of my binds after disconnecting a stick and updating the game, but also, not having played the game in months, I am now unable to remember the actual bindings I had. The solution, according to this thread, is to perform (IN ADVANCE, somehow magically having known that this would happen) what to me, a less-than-advanced-pc-user, is esoteric tomery; all this just to get around the absence of a basic function to be able to SAVE your bindings using the in-game menu. I am grateful to the OP for at least this much, but I am sick and tired of how this game just expects you to have all this meta-knowledge of how to perform any basic functions within, always through additional tools and obscure sources without. Too bad I did not, like, write down my bindings on a sheet of paper or smth. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is profoundly insane. Not only did I lose all of my binds after disconnecting a stick and updating the game, but also, not having played the game in months, I am now unable to remember the actual bindings I had. The solution, according to this thread, is to perform (IN ADVANCE, somehow magically having known that this would happen) what to me, a less-than-advanced-pc-user, is esoteric tomgently caressery; all this just to get around the absence of a basic function to be able to SAVE your bindings using the in-game menu. I am grateful to the OP for at least this much, but I am sick and tired of how this game just expects you to have all this meta-knowledge of how to perform any basic functions within, always through additional tools and obscure sources without. Too bad I did not, like, write down my bindings on a sheet of paper or smth. Peace.
You have a fair point or points.

This game was designed for the 1980s with 21st Cent. hardware. The learning curve was meant to be hard. That was considered fun and educational, in those days.
Times change and FD want to sell the Odyssey expansion, so give away the current game for free to attract new players. Who have grown up with Windoze and Apple. Who want to make “computers” transparent with no thinking needed other than switching it on and clicking. A clash of cultures is the problem.

My theory.

Anne Elk BA, Calcutta (failed)

I hope this is the right thread for the following.

I had followed the excellent tutorial and previously backed up the bindings on my Saitek X52 (non-pro). A few weeks ago, after an update, the stick worked fine but the pinkie switch would not function. So I reinstalled the back-up but still have the same problem. Every other binding works fine, the stick is stable and as intended apart from this one switch.

The only solution I have found so far is to open Control Panel/Devices & Printers/Game Controllers/X52 and open the properties window and keep it open. Going back into ED, even without logging off, it works just fine. Whilst this is liveable, I am hoping someone may have a more permanent solution or suggestions as to how this issue can be resolved.

Many thanks.

ps If you do have knowledge of this stuff, please be aware I am very much monkey see, monkey do. Technical ability was not an app available in my mother's construction era.

I hope this is the right thread for the following.

I had followed the excellent tutorial and previously backed up the bindings on my Saitek X52 (non-pro). A few weeks ago, after an update, the stick worked fine but the pinkie switch would not function. So I reinstalled the back-up but still have the same problem. Every other binding works fine, the stick is stable and as intended apart from this one switch.

The only solution I have found so far is to open Control Panel/Devices & Printers/Game Controllers/X52 and open the properties window and keep it open. Going back into ED, even without logging off, it works just fine. Whilst this is liveable, I am hoping someone may have a more permanent solution or suggestions as to how this issue can be resolved.

Many thanks.

ps If you do have knowledge of this stuff, please be aware I am very much monkey see, monkey do. Technical ability was not an app available in my mother's construction era.
It could be your drivers need updated. Having to have the windows properties open was a problem when I bought my X52-Pro. The drivers from Logitech solved that along and the software works too.

[Edit] I just remembered. In the s/ware profiler. It is advisable to delete the three "Shift" profiles. That may be stopping you use the pinkie switch.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. I downloaded and installed the most recent driver. I had assumed the newest at the top of the list but nope, lol. Anyway, it still did not work without the Properties window opened. I deleted the shift options but sadly this did not fix it either.

It was worth a try and if nothing else, I have a more up to date driver. I appreciate the help.

Thank you for that. I downloaded and installed the most recent driver. I had assumed the newest at the top of the list but nope, lol. Anyway, it still did not work without the Properties window opened. I deleted the shift options but sadly this did not fix it either.

It was worth a try and if nothing else, I have a more up to date driver. I appreciate the help.
You are not getting off that easily. :)
One of the miraculous cures I have read about the X52 is that some of the s/ware from different manufactures such as Mad Katz, did not uninstall cleanly. So the procedure was to uninstall the HOTAS through windows then run a registry cleaner then reinstall the up-to-date drivers. Only have the stick connected when the installer asks you to.
You really should not need the properties window open for it to work. I had to do that for a couple of years and it is annoying.
EDIT
I did not have to pick a driver from a list. There was only one choice for me.
X52 Space/Flight H.O.T.A.S. Software
Software Version: 8.0.213.0
Last Update: 2018-09-24

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Hi everyone,

Please could you take the hardware/driver discussion to the Off Topic section. There is a prefix "Hardware and Technical" that you can use to filter for the relevant threads.

Thanks.

Save the following text to a .txt document. Then Change the .txt to .bat; run the bat file
==============Beginning of script==========================

@GoTo script
This script was written for the elite dangerous. What it does is backup your current bindings to your desktop. You will then be able to restore the backups to the game folder. When backups are restored, it will backup the original folder then copy the backed up files into the game folder.
:script
@echo off&setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
cd %desktop%
set savepath="%userprofile%\desktop\BindingsBackup"
set bindings="%localappdata%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings"
title Backup and Restore Elite Dangerous Bindings

:top
cls
echo Bindings location:
echo %bindings%
echo.
echo Backup location:
echo %savepath%
echo.
echo.
echo ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
echo + This script will backup your bindings folder +
echo + to your desktop. +
echo + +
echo + 1. Backup bindings +
echo + 2. Restore bindings +
echo + 3. Open bindings folder +
echo + 4. Open backup folder +
echo + +
echo + 5. Exit +
echo + +
echo ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
echo.
choice /C 12345 /N /M "Please enter a selection: "
if %errorlevel% == 1 goto backup
if %errorlevel% == 2 goto restore
if %errorlevel% == 3 start "" %bindings%&goto top
if %errorlevel% == 4 start "" %savepath%&goto top
REM if the user doesn't select 1-4 automatically exit.
exit
:backup
cls
REM check if the savepath exists
call :foldercheck %savepath%

REM if the folder exists then warn the user they are about to overwrite
if %errorlevel% == 1 (
choice /C yn /N /M "Bindings have already been backed up. Would you like to overwrite? [y,n]: "
if !errorlevel! == 1 rd /s/q %savepath%\&md %savepath%
if !errorlevel! == 2 goto top
) else (
REM if the folder doesn't exist then make it
md %savepath% >nul
)
REM copy the bindings to the new backup folder
xcopy /I /Q /S %bindings% %savepath%
echo.
echo Backup complete.
echo Backup is located on your desktop in the BindingsBackup folder
timeout 5 >nul
goto top

:restore
cls
REM check if the backup exists
call :foldercheck %savepath%
if %errorlevel% == 1 (
REM warn the user they are about to overwrite their current bindings with a backup

echo If you continue your current bindings will be replaced by the bindings located in
echo %userprofile%\desktop\BindingBackup.
echo.
choice /c yn /n /m "Continue? [y,n]: "
if !errorlevel! == 2 goto top
if !errorlevel! == 1 (
cd %bindings%
cd ../
REM backup the current folder to Bindings.bak just in case
xcopy /I /S Bindings Bindings.bak
REM delete the Bindings folder and everything in it
rd /s/q Bindings
REM Create a new bindings folder and move the backup into it
md Bindings
xcopy /I /S %savepath% %bindings%
)
) else (
echo Error! No backup located!
timeout 3 >nul
goto top
)
goto top

REM This function comes from M. Jamal on https://stackoverflow.com/questions/138981/how-to-test-if-a-file-is-a-directory-in-a-batch-script
REM This function will return an errorlevel depending on whether the supplied folderpath is valid.
REM Errorlevel 0 means file/folder doesn't exist
REM Errorlevel 1 means exists, and it is a folder
REM Errorlevel 3 means exists, and it is a file
:foldercheck <path>
@pushd %~dp1
@if not exist "%~nx1" (
popd
exit /b 0
) else (
if exist "%~nx1\*" (
popd
exit /b 1
) else (
popd
exit /b 3
)
)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom