General / Off-Topic Maggie, Iron Lady

Can't say I liked her while she was Prime Minister, but I won't say anything disrespectful now she has died ... RIP Maggie.

You can't help but look at the Prime Ministers the UK has had since Lady Thatcher, and hope that someday soon we see her like again. She was very unpopular with some, and some of her policies were likewise unpopular, but you have to acknowledge her determination and strength of character.

Can't remember the one before her so at the age of 15 all I had ever known was Margaret Thatcher and the Queen. It was quite odd to have someone else in charge.

Love her or hate her you couldn't say that she lacked courage (or balls).

Do we need a swirling black hole that sucks all your money and leaves you impovrished OR should we have a protective web that means space terrorists wont mess with people in the web?

Love her or hate her.. she existed, and did things that made differences good and bad... I remember her from my Childhood and not being old enough to know the bad effects of her actions and decisions, I just knew Internationally we had a leader who was respected. So I don't have bad memories of her at all. But my fellow scots, different story.

I hope she rests in peace, though Frankie Boyle did suggest the people of Scotland would dig a hole and hand her over to Satan in person..

I don't harbour any ill will

There are people actually holding parties, celebrating Thatcher's death. It doesn't matter what you thought of her, and I remember her being Prime Minister, and I'll be honest, I hated her, but I think that celebrating, taking pleasure in someone's death, is disrespectful and offensive.

There are people actually holding parties, celebrating Thatcher's death. It doesn't matter what you thought of her, and I remember her being Prime Minister, and I'll be honest, I hated her, but I think that celebrating, taking pleasure in someone's death, is disrespectful and offensive.

Pete Wylie's song pretty much tripled hits on youtube since yesterday. And judging by the comments under the vid I'd say she's still immensely unpopular with a lot of people...

Because she was the PM when I was little, she was THE PM, Reagan is THE prime minister and Elizabeth II is THE Queen, least that hasn't changed. I'm scottish and so hated her, but not really, cos I was too little to understand her politics.

taking pleasure in someone's death, is disrespectful and offensive.

This ^

Anyone celebrating her death should be ashamed. She should have been ashamed for some of the things she did. Two wrongs don't make a right.

RIP.

I have to say a glimmer of humour has arisen, thanks to Allen Stroud for finding this titbit..

Hashtag confusion: Thatcher, not Cher, has died
The hashtag #nowthatcherisdead has caused confusion among some social media users, believing it refers to Cher the singer, not Margaret Thatcher.

bizzaare hashtag though

I have to say a glimmer of humour has arisen, thanks to Allen Stroud for finding this titbit..

Hashtag confusion: Thatcher, not Cher, has died
The hashtag #nowthatcherisdead has caused confusion among some social media users, believing it refers to Cher the singer, not Margaret Thatcher.

bizzaare hashtag though

Can see the confusion but have to laugh at the #. It's not hard to read it both ways.

I think she got more wrong than right for us ..... But she did get some things right......I personally didnt like her ....but all the same...Its a bit late now to moan either way

Legend. Love her or loathe her, she was the last honest (senior) politician this country produced. You knew where you stood - even if you didn't like it.

People didn't like some of her policies, but people will complain about whoever is in control wherever you are in the world. The amount of flak Obama gets, the amount of flack that Bush got just proved that people are never happy. If you want to go into politics and want to make policies that make everyone happy, then I'm sorry to say you won't be in politics for long because no matter how fair and how much you want to run the country for the greater good of the country, you will never please everyone.

This is no different from Thatcher, she was tough and she was hard, but its what this country needed. Yes she made mistakes and some of her policies put people out of work and crippled the manufacturing industry (some of which can be argued were long overdue and obsolete anyway).

I'm also sorry to say that Britain has lost its backbone in recent years, we are too scared to speak out about anything in case you get arrested or classed as a racist. We moan about petrol prices rising and aside from the half protest in 2000, we just seem to moan but never act on it. And as I said earlier, Thatcher may have been tough, but if she said she was going to do something, she did it and people shook in their boots because they knew she meant it. Our government now make all kinds of promises and never deliver. opposing parties sit there and argue and complain about why each side has ruined this country, but neither side have the balls or the intelligence to come up with a workable solution.

People feared thatcher, because she stood by what she said and she followed through with her promises against opposition from the public, her political opponents and people in her own party.

+1 completely.

I've refrained from commenting on the politics of this (ha) because I have ambivalent feelings about her.

She did good things and bad things. She made things better and worse. Like most politicians. She stood on necks in the Falklands (good) but closed all the collieries (bad, cos it killed the main industry of my hometown).

It sickens me the extents to which some of our so called "civilised" Brits have gone to show how much they hated her. Apparently in Glasgow they were cursing her name and having parties in the streets to celebrate her death.

Her political actions were often flawed and the consequences of some of them were terrible for those in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think she almost single-handedly created the stereotypical "northern" out-of-work person, and it's taken years to repair that.

Politics aside she was a strong figure and a hell of a woman. She took criticism on the chin and never publicly lost control, answering all catcalls with dignity and often humour. She achieved things in this country that no other woman has since got close to and for that she will always, and I mean ALWAYS, have my respect as a person.

RIP, Mrs T.

What I have found really annoying is that a lot of people holding these parties are teenagers. Seriously, they were never around when she was in power and her influence had no impact on their lives aside from what they may have heard from their parents. It just seems like a poor excuse to have a party.

1. When Saddam Hussein was captured and hung. Nobody was really bothered. This man killed hundreds of thousands of his own people, simply because he could.

2. When Osama Bin Laden was killed by Seal Team six last year, everyone was relieved that we finally got him. He was responsible for killing thousands of people in both the US and UK in organised terrorist attacks. When he died, nobody had a party.

So why the hell do people seem to think its a great time to celebrate the death of an 87 year old woman who's only crime was to run the country defiantly how she saw fit without allowing anyone tell her what to do?

I am a little saddened by these gloating parties - a sign of the times, I suppose. As for the Iron Lady herself - I'll not get into the politics/personality (good/bad etc.). All I'd say is I'm old enough to remember the decade preceding her rise to power - Britain wasn't in great shape, believe me!

Last edited:
Top Bottom