Major ARX bug

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
All games were knackered back then even the ones considered classics, then you had to hope for a patch disk with the right stuff on it with a magazine, now stuff just gets fixed via the internet.

I've got a massive 30+year game collection and the old disks are better left on the shelf. If you want a stable working version of for example X-com enemy unknown steam has a working patched version compatible with modern systems and the alien base bug has been fixed. Back in the day you just lived with it being broken even though its one of the best games ever in any countdown.

Release and hotfix is much better.

I bought Repton 2 on tape on my BBC B+. Everytime you dropped an egg the game crashed. The disappointment still weighs heavy on my mind.

I bought Repton 2 on tape on my BBC B+. Everytime you dropped an egg the game crashed. The disappointment still weighs heavy on my mind.

If only we'd had the internets then you could have spent years on Superior Software's forum banging on about it endlessly. You could have given even Rafe Zetter a run for his money if you'd kept it up all this time.

Deleted member 182079

D
Consoles have always been simple, old games were always simple (and broken). How many different types of PC configuration are there out there ?. Different kettle of fish completely.

Stuff is better now.

We're not talking about technical glitches or crashes though, which are harder to address due to config variations. C64s, Amigas/Atari STs were largely the same just as consoles. Only with MS-DOS PCs becoming more popular with gaming, hardware configs became more of a problem.

And I already recognised that games back then weren't as complex but my point was that devs had to get things right first time; if they released a broken game then that was it (other than a full on recall which I can't remember ever happening, unless it was related to faulty cartridges etc.).

But anyways, this is about gameplay/functionality bugs, the OP doesn't have the problem because of his RAM went bad etc., and I firmly believe the 'release now patch later' culture has resulted in overall more buggy games in general (dare I mention Bethesda, both on PC and consoles), a double edged sword for sure as there are obviously benefits to the option to patch, but I think it can lead to corner cutting.

And to say everything was broken in the past is just plain wrong, as everything clearly wasn't (some games were, one just didn't buy them or got them 'free', but just as many weren't and are still extremely playable and enjoyable to this day). Unless you just made poor purchasing decisions in the past, which is what your conclusion is based on.

Ben Hennessy

Narrative
Frontier
Just to stick my old CS hat on for a second - ARX are tied to a player's account. I'll see about getting this added to the ARX FAQ.

They function in a similar way to game extras. If you buy a paint job and then decide to start over on a fresh Commander, that paint job will still be available for use.

If you believe you've lost ARX from your account for some reason, the Frontier Support team will be happy to investigate.

Happy New Year!

Just to stick my old CS hat on for a second - ARX are tied to a player's account. I'll see about getting this added to the ARX FAQ.

They function in a similar way to game extras.

Thanks for the intervention!

Can I ask, any idea how this applies to things like say a Fuel Rat decal or Canonn decal, or even the Thargoid bobblehead? (not the wireframe one)

Player account or CMDR? I can see either in these cases, they are technically earned by the CMDR but I can see they'd just plug into the existing cosmetic system so be tied to the account.

ie would there be an expectation of a loss of say a Distant Worlds decal on recreating your CMDR given that CMDR did not undertake any such journey?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom