Major Expansions

I have read a bit about game expansion packs that will become available after release that can be bought separately for an indeterminate cost or all at once now for £35. I bought the expansion pass believing it would be cheaper in the long run and give Frontier some extra cash at the start. Good for all concerned!
However I was hoping to,
(a) consolidate in one place all the known planned expansions
and
(b) Suggest some more for future consideration. New weapons, Thargoids etc.

I know about Planets, leaving ships to walk around, maybe nicking someone Else's ship but I have not read everything exhaustively so can we fill in the blanks and apply some creative energy!

Maybe mapping Google Earth onto the Earth in the game so you can buzz your house? (not really a major expansion , more of an Easter egg if you can find earth.....)

(a) consolidate in one place all the known planned expansions

There are no planned expansions at this early stage. Although there are a few ambitions we know will not be in the released game. Such as the ambition to have planets that you can get out and walk around on, go big game hunting extra. David Braben has talked about these ambitions in his various videos.

There are no planned expansions at this early stage. Although there are a few ambitions we know will not be in the released game. Such as the ambition to have planets that you can get out and walk around on, go big game hunting extra. David Braben has talked about these ambitions in his various videos.

Would call them a little more than ambitions, since FD stated they would come in future updates :)

Your link gives a confirmation of exactly what I said.

The first release of Elite: Dangerous will not mark the end of development.

We intend to continue expanding the game both with new content and new features. A good example of this is planetary landings. We have an ambitious goal for landings to include new gameplay and a rich variety of worlds to explore. To achieve our goal we want the planets to come to life. We also want to add the ability to leave the ships so you can explore space stations or board enemy vessels or even just to look around your own.

We intend to release small, free updates after launch, but major expansions including rich new features will be charged for, unless you have bought the expansion pass, or are one of the Kickstarter backers at the appropriate tier.

Intend, have ambition to, whatever. Nothing is set in stone or formally planned. I really do wonder if people sometimes split hairs over nothing just because they are pursuing a high forum post count and want to get 'elite' under their name.

Would call them a little more than ambitions, since FD stated they would come in future updates :)

Pick whatever word you prefer.

Last edited:
Your link gives a confirmation of exactly what I said.

Intend, have ambition to, whatever. Nothing is set in stone or formally planned. I really do wonder if people sometimes split hairs over nothing just because they are pursuing a high forum post count and want to get 'elite' under their name.

Pick whatever word you prefer.

Absolutely. It is a possibility there will be no major expansions at all, but I think it's rather unlikely given Braben's passion for the project.

Because it is completely wrong what you just said. When David and FD says they *intend* to, it means they are really doing it. They are very careful with words, and this is no exception. If that would be still up in the ear, they wouldn't mention it *officially* at all.

It is not splitting hairs. FD devs including David has said that landings are coming within year, multiple times. Not *theoretically*, not *possibly*.

Intent means they *plan* to do it. They have even development started.

Few things also suggest there are to be major expansions further down the line.

- Backers presumed SPL was going to be included during the KS. FD announced it was going to come later. That's one planned expansion at least.

- DB has been cited as saying there will not be an Elite 5 and that ED would be running for years. (I read 10+ but that could have been someones opinion) Unless that means they intend to shut up shop post release (highly unlikely) that means over the years things are going to be needed to be done to retain and attract new players. That implies expansions

Not splitting hairs, however

Nothing is set in stone
:)

They have even development started.
Source ?

Last edited:

Now who is splitting hairs?

Folks, please don't feed the trolls. Just like I tell my daughter, just because you really want to say something to someone that is spouting off doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it. :rolleyes:

Dev Diary #8 :)

Rewatched it just now - The only reference to support your claim that I saw that work on future expansions has started was a very quick glimpse of the commander hovering around the rear of the seat in zero-g. It's hardly conclusive as to me that was done to demonstrate that it's possible with the current engine, not that actual work on EVA had started - subtly different imo.

Rewatched it just now - The only reference to support your claim that I saw that work on future expansions has started was a very quick glimpse of the commander hovering around the rear of the seat in zero-g. It's hardly conclusive as to me that was done to demonstrate that it's possible with the current engine, not that actual work on EVA had started - subtly different imo.

Works on avatars == work on walking expansion (essential part of it, how avatar looks and feels). They also mention it "looking beyond initial release" or what was those exact words.

Works on avatars == work on walking expansion (essential part of it, how avatar looks and feels). They also mention it "looking beyond initial release" or what was those exact words.

Oh yes, that's why I was "Completely Wrong" is it. :rolleyes:

(I know I said I would leave him too it, I really should)

Disagree, probably just so they can do a 3rd person view of the ship cabin or whatever. Expansions wont be worked on before they even know if they have a successful game. That would be daft. A few kickstarter supporters dont make a successful game. Only when its released publically will Frontier know whether or not there is enough gamer support to justify further ongoing development.

Disagree, probably just so they can do a 3rd person view of the ship cabin or whatever. Expansions wont be worked on before they even know if they have a successful game. That would be daft. A few kickstarter supporters dont make a successful game. Only when its released publically will Frontier know whether or not there is enough gamer support to justify further ongoing development.

They said in that dev diary in verbatim that it is work done looking beyond first release, so when pilot can leave chair, it would feel naturally, not stacked on. Ships have all interiors blocked out already (although not in very detailed way yet), not just cockpit cabin.

They will work on expansions, they have said it many times, and they have sold expansion passes during KS and now in preorder. Doesn't seem like "wait and see" attitude to me.

Last edited:
Oh yes, that's why I was "Completely Wrong" is it. :rolleyes:
(I know I said I would leave him too it, I really should)

Nope, you were completely wrong with saying no expansions are planned. They are planned. How their plans will turn out reminds to be seen, but there's some background work already going on, with planting hooks and pieces for initial release to continue afterwards.

They said in that dev diary in verbatim that it is work done looking beyond first release, so when pilot can leave chair, it would feel naturally, not stacked on. Ships have all interiors blocked out already (although not in very detailed way yet), not just cockpit cabin.

They will work on expansions, they have said it many times, and they have sold expansion passes during KS and now in preorder. Doesn't seem like "wait and see" attitude to me.

Designing something in such a way as to not preclude a desired future feature is not the same thing as having already started in development. Like when I had my neighbour had Garden decking done he had it done in such a way as to make it easy to put an extension on the side of the house. However, this does not mean my neighbour had started building his extension. Or that it would be OK for me to scream at him that he was “Completely Wrong!” when he claimed that he would like to have an extension built in the future but nothing was yet planned.

completely wrong with saying no expansions are planned. They are planned. How their plans will turn out reminds to be seen,

So because of a entirely pedantic semantic dispute you derailed a thread . :rolleyes:
(albeit with mine, and others help)

Last edited:

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Hi all,

Can we keep it civil please. It's been noticed that there are some unwarranted comments creeping into the thread.

Anyway.

The first release of Elite: Dangerous will not mark the end of
development.

We intend to continue expanding the game both with new content and new
features. A good example of this is planetary landings. We have
an ambitious goal for landings to include new gameplay and a rich
variety of worlds to explore. To achieve our goal we want the
planets to come to life. We also want to add the ability to leave the
ships so you can explore space stations or board enemy vessels or even just
to look around your own.

We intend to release small, free updates after launch, but major expansions
including rich new features will be charged for, unless you have
bought the expansion pass, or are one of the Kickstarter backers
at the appropriate tier.

For me, no part of that statement says that there will be no expansions, quite the opposite. I expect a good few expansions as time goes on.

For example, David has mentioned on more that one occasion the SPL will be implemented after initial launch, they just want to make sure it's as good as they can get it.

On a side note; I would not be surprised if some part of The Outsider's code could be implemented in the game for planet side excursions.

Top Bottom