General Make Fleet Carriers viable for exploration

However I can absolutely, totally guarantee that within 5 milliseconds of this proposal being implemented by FD the forum would fill up with "Why can't my ship do automatic jumping of a plotted route?" You know that the autopilot suggestion comes up every so often anyway so how will FD refuse it if it can be allowed for FCs.

By all means, petition for FC route plotting but please don't go the "fly my plotted jumps while I am in bed" route.
Carriers are not ships, not really. Plotting a jump with them is not what I would describe as flying. Plotting a FC jump, logging off just to log back on to repeat the process is not very engaging gameplay. The existence of some welcome automation to that process would hardly be a good justification to demand autopilot travel to the ships as well. If someone tried to demand that, I would laugh at their foolishness.

It's something that has often been requested, and some players have implemented it with macros, so some already have this (though admittedly using a macro means leaving ED running, and in the foreground, so you'd need to have a spare PC or run it overnight).

It's something that has often been requested, and some players have implemented it with macros, so some already have this (though admittedly using a macro means leaving ED running, and in the foreground, so you'd need to have a spare PC or run it overnight).
It is not possible on consoles unfortunately.

They already do, you can schedule a jump and then log out.
Yes exactly you can schedule ONLY one jump. The iedea is to schedule several as far as you have tritium in the carrier's tritium depot. For most people it is impossible to log in every 35 min to set another jump. Also, to be clear this has nothing to do with autopilot as carriers DO NOT FLY.

Carriers are not ships, not really. Plotting a jump with them is not what I would describe as flying. Plotting a FC jump, logging off just to log back on to repeat the process is not very engaging gameplay. The existence of some welcome automation to that process would hardly be a good justification to demand autopilot travel to the ships as well. If someone tried to demand that, I would laugh at their foolishness.
Eaxctly, Carrier do not fly, do not scoop fuel. They are mearly a bases capable of jumps at a high cost. They already exist offline while ships do not. Being able to schedule few jumps instead of one has nothing to do with autopilot.

Yes exactly you can schedule ONLY one jump. The iedea is to schedule several as far as you have tritium in the carrier's tritium depot. For most people it is impossible to log in every 35 min to set another jump. Also, to be clear this has nothing to do with autopilot as carriers DO NOT FLY.
Eaxctly, Carrier do not fly, do not scoop fuel. They are mearly a bases capable of jumps at a high cost. They already exist offline while ships do not. Being able to schedule few jumps instead of one has nothing to do with autopilot.

You are playing with semantics. If you can set a course requiring travel in a sequence of legs then if the vessel can carry out those legs without your intervention then it is carrying out the same processes as an autopilot. Just because the legs are huge jumps that does not make it any less of an automatic process. You might not be piloting a FC in the same manner as piloting a ship but your are still controlling its travel - piloting it.

As I said, I can see no reason why you should not be able to plot a course for a FC - it is just the automating of the journey I object to for the reasons I have given. You want a FC - accept that you have to be in the game to use it.

Lets be quite clear here, there is no danger involved in a carrier jump, nothing to do, nothing to worry about, then why bother scheduling jumps at all? In essence what you are asking for is that a carrier be allowed to jump the maximum distance it's fuel supply will allow, because whether you do it in a series of uninterruptible 500 ly jumps or just 1 5,000ly jump the effect is exactly the same, the carrier leaves one location and arrives in another location, in essence it's fast travel, sure maybe we keep the 25 minutes jump delay and have it take just over 4 hours, but you log off and go to bed, when you get up you are 5,000ly away, effectively fast travel because you haven't actually done anything. And people will soon complain about that 4 hours and demand it be reduced to 25 minutes for any jump length you can bet your hat on that! Then there will be demands for a larger fuel supply for longer jumps and in the end FCs will effectively be doing the bubble to Colonia in 1 jump

This is just fast travel wrapped up in a Fleet Carrier justification, not going to happen!

"Autopilot", "fast travel". Those sound like words with negative connotations in this environment. Perhaps we are all playing with semantics here.

You want a FC - accept that you have to be in the game to use it.
But I use mine for many things without being in the game. I trade, provide support for my squadron fighting in the CZs, mining and other things, even jump it, though it can only do it once.

"Autopilot", "fast travel". Those sound like words with negative connotations in this environment. Perhaps we are all playing with semantics here.

It has negative connotations in many games, in my opinion it has spoiled many games I have played depending on how it has been implemented, and no it's not semantics, we're not playing with words, they mean exactly what we think they mean in this context.

No they don't, in fact I can explore further faster with a FC than just a ship alone, and get to places I can't get to at all with just a ship.

You see you set the FC target at 500ly, then you jump out in your exploration ship and target that same system and fly to it, scanning systems and looking at stuff as you go, it's not often I can beat the FC to it's target, all it needs is a few NSP's, a couple of ELW or WW or some biology I want to check out and it arrives before I do, so no slow down at all there because I am doing exactly what I would do if I never had a FC, and at the end of the days run I always dock at the FC and set it going for another 500ly. So I am exploring exactly the same number of systems I did before the FC in the same time, and getting an extra 500ly boost per day if I have a distant target I am going to look at.
Yeah, what Varonica describes here is what I did when I went out exploring with my FC. Personally, I found it heaps more fun that just ambling around with just a ship as I had a mini-goal to aim for (the FC's new location). I would rarely make it there before my FC did. If you're truly wanting to explore with your FC then I can't see any reason for this change. The only reason I can think of would be to get out to unexplored space quicker. Still though, in 6 jumps you'll be 3,000 Ly from the bubble so wouldn't take too long the way it is now. If you're wanting to use it for something other than exploration, ie. as a Colonia taxi, then that's a different story.

Also, I found it didn't take long for the exploration data to pay for the weekly FC upkeep. I was pleasantly surprised how much money I made from it.

However I can absolutely, totally guarantee that within 5 milliseconds of this proposal being implemented by FD the forum would fill up with "Why can't my ship do automatic jumping of a plotted route?" You know that the autopilot suggestion comes up every so often anyway so how will FD refuse it if it can be allowed for FCs.
Three things:
1. A fleet carrier has crew. The CMDR is never piloting the vessel. If anything, he is commanding the crew to do it for him.

2. An autopilot for ships will no doubt get implemented should the Odyssey expansion ever include ship interiors. It might just be called "hire/command an NPC co-pilot to take over" rather than outright "autopilot" while you go about doing other stuff in the ship.

Afterall:
The autopilot for recalling ships is here.
The autopilot for supercruise is here.
The autopilot for docking is here.

Automation is a perfectly natural form of progression. Especially when there is more interesting stuff you could be doing during the meantime.

3. I feel so sorry for the CMDR currently taxiing my eagle from Colonia back to the bubble right now...

I guess I'm doing it wrong.
Jump FC 200-250Ly, then spend 1-2 weeks mapping every planet within 100-125Ly from my FC, mine for a bit if I find a good hotspot, then jump another 200-250Ly.
The FC offers me endurance, and once I reach the edge, the ability to get to systems a regular ship can't reach.

Jump FC 200-250Ly, then spend 1-2 weeks mapping every planet within 100-125Ly from my FC, mine for a bit if I find a good hotspot, then jump another 200-250Ly.
The FC offers me endurance, and once I reach the edge, the ability to get to systems a regular ship can't reach.

To some people it seems we are both using it wrong, however I suspect the use case they are putting forward is not one envisioned or desired by FDEV.

Just make sure u do 100% FSS + upload all to EDSM.
When EDSM says "unknown" and I meet systems cherry-pick mapped, that makes me angry because I waste time without no-good payback to fix.

I'm guess I'm the only one who finds fleet carriers plenty viable for exploration. 🤷
Nope, we're a pretty sizable group, just not as vociferous as the disaffected. It's been my career since FC drop day. Mining is incidental because of the need to fuel on the go, and makes me more credits in the long, long, long run, but exploration is where it's at as a Commander. I use Varonica's methodology with the minor exception that I call the carrier after I've flown the 500ly route to my next waypoint system. This lets me scout for minable Icy rings where I can park the FC for convenient refueling. I don't mine every waypoint, though, so I often just explore nearby systems or map the waypoint system while awaiting the FC's arrival. I like meeting it and getting video of its hyperspace exit.

In my 70ly-capable AspX exploration is anything but slow, and the FC is incidental in terms of how fast I cover the routes. The only thing that determines my exploration progress is whether or not I'm interested in the systems and planets I see along the routes. Sometimes I replot many times along a route to explore systems not on the formal route, but the carrier isn't involved in that at all.

I blew about 8T of Tritium on my last exploration jaunt

Never again

If I get the exploration itch again I'll just head out and stop at other FC's that are already parked out there.

It just isn't worth having the mobile station with you unless you plan on staying in Colonia for a long time. I've already been there/done that several times and it's not anything I need to re-visit.

Cheers

Top Bottom