Ships Mamba Mamba is awesome!

I'll give it a try at some point. I presume you use long range of different upgrade levels to match the shot speeds?
Yes. You can get an easy match if you use all HYS (I know, they were nerfed) with LR 3 & 1, but the piercing on the smalls is a bit meh, so I am currently trying LR5 HYS on the Huge, with LR4 & Force Shell on the Smalls.

Yaaaaay!!! A Mamba Love Thread!

My absolute favourite ship in the game, so much so that I've bought and (almost) fully engineered 3 of them.

Laser Raptor

My main ship with it's newly finished "ammo-less" build, mostly used for hunting big ships. It's also a little nod to one of my favourite stupid movies.

1 x 4E Efficient Burst Lasers + Overcharged
2 x 3B Efficient Plasma Accelerators + Plasma Slug
2 x 1G Efficient Burst Lasers + Overcharged
ED Laser Raptor 2.png

Disco 3000

My CZ ship/interstellar rave machine/party monster. An ode to the garishly fabulous Club Kid scene of the late 80's-early 90's.

1 x 4A High Capacity Multi-Cannon + Corrosive Shell
2 x 3E Efficient Burst Lasers + Overcharged
2 x 1G Efficient Burst Lasers + Overcharged
ED Disco 3000 (1).png

Swordfish III

The first Mamba I ever bought and the main reason I wanted it was the ship description is basically identical to that of Swordfish II, Spike Spiegels ship from Cowboy Bebop (my all time favourite anime).
It's been stripped and refit dozens of times, but now it's been set up to be as close to its namesake as possible.

1 x 4A Efficient Plasma Accelerator + Plasma Slug
2 x 3A High Capacity Seeker Missiles + Overload Munitions
2 x 1G High Capacity Multi-Cannons + Corrosive Shell (yes i know it doesn't stack, but I'm a bit OCD and can't stand asymmetric loads outs)
ED Swordfish III 2.png

I'll probably buy another one at some point soon, but I'd love to see some more Zorgon Peterson ships in the future.

Love how the Mamba looks and the cockpit is AWESOME but I keep mothballing mine ...

For me, I think the one thing it needs is a C6 Optional. For such a large ship it needs the extra recharge rate from a C6 BiWeave, IMO. The C5 just doesn’t cut it.

That said, I have a few bits lying around after tweaking some of my other builds so I’m wondering about once again trying:
  • 2xC3 Efficient Beams
  • 1x C4 PA
  • 2x C1 MCs with Overcharged/Corrosive (for the small stuff I can’t hit with the PA)
I think I’ve tried that before but it might have been 2xC3 Rapid Fire/Phasing Pulse Lasers ... and I have G5 Dirty Drive Thrusters available now too ...

Love how the Mamba looks and the cockpit is AWESOME but I keep mothballing mine ...

For me, I think the one thing it needs is a C6 Optional. For such a large ship it needs the extra recharge rate from a C6 BiWeave, IMO. The C5 just doesn’t cut it.

That said, I have a few bits lying around after tweaking some of my other builds so I’m wondering about once again trying:
  • 2xC3 Efficient Beams
  • 1x C4 PA
  • 2x C1 MCs with Overcharged/Corrosive (for the small stuff I can’t hit with the PA)
I think I’ve tried that before but it might have been 2xC3 Rapid Fire/Phasing Pulse Lasers ... and I have G5 Dirty Drive Thrusters available now too ...

The C5 is fine. You're a speed demon. Things shouldn't be hitting you that often. Its also fairly small for a medium ship especially in its vertical profile, making it a nice jouster.

Small? The Mamba is almost the size of a
The C5 is fine. You're a speed demon. Things shouldn't be hitting you that often. Its also fairly small for a medium ship especially in its vertical profile, making it a nice jouster.

I find I get hit an AWFUL lot in the Mamba when compared with something like the Chieftain, which gets a C6. Was the primary reason I switched my medium combat ship from the Mamba to the Chief even though I much prefer the look, cockpit and hardpoints on the Mamba.

A bigger Bi-weave would just drain SYS power faster, what the Mamba needs is a bigger Power Distributor.

I find I get hit an AWFUL lot in the Mamba when compared with something like the Chieftain, which gets a C6. Was the primary reason I switched my medium combat ship from the Mamba to the Chief even though I much prefer the look, cockpit and hardpoints on the Mamba.
The Mamba is a great ship for nonPvP-centric Commanders. Any ship that has the fire power and defense to actually threaten a Mamba can easily be outrun by the Mamba. It is also a gorgeous ship.

However :)

Like Tolm said above, it is a very large target compared to the Chieftain or FDL. PvPers who do organized fights in the rings don't use Mambi because the Mamba is an ez target because of its size and lack of maneuverability. Mambi who do try to fight in the rings usually just hover away from the heart of the fight and use long range weapons, which simply do not do enough damage. (Ring fights are basically contests of who can do the most damage in the shortest amount of time without crashing into rocks. )

The other thing is the miserable convergence for fixed closer range weapons. Gimballed or turreted users will of course not be affected. Long range fixed is okay.

It goes without saying that purist (fixed weapons) "try hard" PvP Commanders like myself are not crazy about Mambi.

:)

P.S. I just told you how to irritate some PvPers. :)

Last edited:
I've finally managed to wait out powerplay nonsense (3 months!!!) and finish preparing my PvE low-PD-drain cytoscrambler-pacifier shield-tank Mamba. Did a test drive yesterday and absolutely love her! While she seems to be not as efficient as my beam-frag Chieftain, the joy of flying on 4 pips on ENG is much higher. I still have to learn her a bit and optimize my flying style for her but I'm sure we'll fit together nicely. :love:

Last edited:
I too love this ship, if only for audiovisual reasons, but I really do think it still needs something to make up for its drastically decreased maneuverability compared to the FDL. 10% more top speed is nice, but doesn't quite cut it. Some suggestions would be to either: Noticeably Increase pitch (to 50°ish), up thrusters by one class, up PD by one class, change S to M HPs or turn the c5 into a c6 optional.

The Mamba is the best general combat starship, and I assert that anyone who finds its turning insufficient is inexperienced and has yet to learn Landing Gear flight.

Most recent footage of mine has been intended to present different configurations of Fragment Cannons rather than the turns of which the Mamba is capable, although this one contains some good basic examples:

I estimate that to be approximately half of what can be done with it, though. Obviously, I am turning as needed to strike at targets and their Power Plants, as opposed to as much as could be achieved.

Just as obviously, of course the Fer-de-Lance and others have a turn rate with a higher number; I claim primarily that the Mamba turn rate is sufficient, at which point its numerous advantages enter the negotiation. The boost acceleration factor of the Mamba is an unlisted treasure when kept under Landing Gear control, while other options have various unlisted deficiencies. Observe that the Krait 2 boost barely accounts for two-thirds to three-quarters of its maximum speed, and what the Alliance Chieftain offers in turn rate is ruined by its absolutely dreadful turn acceleration.

With Zorgon Peterson, your turns start and stop in an instant. The Fer-de-Lance rules the duelists' game of evasion, while the Mamba brings destruction most swift.

Top Bottom