Meet The Team and Q&A - Richard Newbold

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Brett C

Frontier
Greetings Coaster Heads, in our next installment of our Meet the Team series... we had a talk with Richard Newbold, Producer working on Planet  Coaster here at Frontier!

Rich will be live, on this thread, answering your questions at 5pm GMT tomorrow for roughly half an hour - so get your questions in now!

ypxEZVl.jpg

What is your full name?
Richard John Newbold

What is your job title?
Producer

What’s your earliest memory of visiting a theme park?
When I was in my early teens, we went to America and Islands of Adventure. I'm a comic fan so I was loving all the Marvel rides especially the Incredible Hulk. I used to wear specs so I had to take them off for rides and all I remember was the feeling of wind moving on my face as I get thrown around a blurry landscape at speed.

What’s the biggest stand out memory for you about theme parks?
My first time on the Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios. My body and mind was just not prepared for the vertical drops on that thing and lifts still give me pause for thought to this day because of it.

What tends to be your favourite type of ride at a theme park and why?
Recently, my body just can't seem to handle the thrill rides that my young self could. I'm pretty happy on anything sedate these days so a nice log flume is a great thing on a boiling day.

What exactly are you working on with Planet Coaster?
I'm a producer which means I'm responsible for nearly every aspect of the games development. Ensuring the team are working together towards the same goals and everyone can do their jobs without issues.

What does an average day at work look like for you?
After experiencing a hellish bus journey, and arriving at the relative calm of the office, I'll settle down with a brew/breakfast and read through any emails that I'm yet to address. I'll likely have a few meetings to cover certain areas of the game such as the coasters, paths or UI. Between meetings, I'll pop round the team at various points to make sure that no-one is having issues and tracking progress for our deliveries. I generally handle project staffing, spreadsheets (I love a good spreadsheet!) and dealing with any requests from the team. I can be also be found generating spreadsheets for tracking, providing feedback to design and being sarcastic.

In production, every day is different.

Are you excited to work on a game like Planet Coaster, and why?
We're all excited to make a great theme park game and we've got the experience and motivation to do it here at Frontier.

What aspect of Planet Coaster are you most excited about?
I'm a bit of a nerd for simulation so for me it's all about ensuring that I'm running an efficient economy in my parks. I can't wait to spend hours adjusting all the values to ensure that I'm getting the most money out of my guests.

What have you worked on before Planet Coaster, and what did you do on those projects?
I've been at Frontier nearly 7 years and I've been a producer on Kinect Disneyland Adventures, Zoo Tycoon and ScreamRide but before that I was a QA Tester at Rockstar Games.

How does working on Planet Coaster compare to working on other games you’ve worked on?
This is my first game at Frontier that isn't being published by Microsoft so it's really exciting to be publishing our own game. Working with other departments such as marketing, community and it's exciting to see Frontier being more directly in control of those areas.

In your opinion what makes Planet Coaster special?
I've never seen the team so passionate to make a game and ensuring that every area of the game is researched, developed and fun. Working with the team every day is a fantastic.

What have you learned so far from working on Planet Coaster?

That there's way more types of rollercoaster ride than I ever thought. I assumed they were all just a similar track but there's all sort of various track types and shapes that have been used.

Tell the community a fun fact about yourself.
I get motion sick and I'm afraid of heights.

If you could ask the Planet Coaster community one question, what would it be?
What's the longest you've ever had to wait queuing for a ride, and what did you do to occupy the time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you give us a little more information about the system that is used for creating coasters?
How much freedom do we get on track directions and in making angles etc?

Hiii Richard! Nice to meet u ;)

It's nice to be here asking things directly screen by screen with you!! :D About ur question:

I've been waiting for a ride..... arround 3 hours!!! That was too much for me and i know that in America is worst ever. And how to spend time... Weell.. u can imagine. Wasting my smartphone battery, speaking with friends, telling jokes, watching arrrounnd (depends abaut if there's something to see or not, of course) And that things :)

We are speculating on the suggestions forum about the ability to get flat rides and attractions with a modular system build. Of course, it's amazing to get attractions with different themes but sometimes we would like to get the same basic ride to build it on different situations or scenarios. There's gonna be the option to change the theme of certain rides? Like fances, lights, colours or objects like the "central Statue"?

Would be great to get that options to build a lot of different ride combinations with the basic mechanic chassis of the ride. And to be more clear, i want to show u 2 pics :)

For example, there is the generic one:
[video=youtube;DcXSwZcHPZ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcXSwZcHPZ8[/video]

And 1 themed version of the same:
Leonardo3_18x12_low.jpg

Finally, in fact, this is a way how some ride manufacturers offer park owners differents styles themes for their rides. Thanks you and have a good day ;)

Hello!

A few questions for you, thanks again for doing this! :)

1. Can you give us any details on the que lines in game? Will we see hour waits, and the ability to in any way micro manage the que lines?

2. What about the UI? What direction are you all going with the UI, will it be Metro, clean and simple or something else?

3. Like a few others above, can you shed some light on how we will be able to build things in general, do all things have a modular system that we can build and add too, to make things the way we want or are they going to be single items we just plop down?

I love that you guys are doing these Q&A's! My question is:

Out of all the features of the game that have yet to be showcased, which one are you most excited to see shared with the community?

Last edited:
Longest I waited in a queue line was 3 1/2 hours for BEAST at Kings Island back then we didn't have cell phones or tablets so we talked a lot and people watched a ton. Now though, definitely on my cell phone taking pics of the rides and selfies with my friends.

Hi! Thanks for answering our questions!

Here I come!

1) You are a simulation nerd? Great! We know you are aiming for us to be able to have 20k guests in our parks, but I was wondering: part of RCT 1/2/3's sim is that you don't have "that many" guests so they stay like 2-3 hours max in your park and wait for 1-5 minutes for a ride, but how will it work in PC, since there are many more guests? It may break the sim if we have them waiting 45 minutes for a ride, so how are you planning all these capacity/time sim thing? Will we have our games on 3x speed most of the time? I'm not sure it would be great for immersion... (but I'm loving the fact that we will have "true" guests numbers and not ridiculous ones!)

2) Are you planning to do some "interior rides"? I know you may not be able to announce Something thise early, but a lot of people are looking forward to build (and design?) big "interior" rides that aren't only dark rides: think of Toy Story Mania, Soarin', walkthroughs... and dark rides, obviously!

Thanks a lot, I hope I didn't ask too much!

I don't know how long I have waited for a ride, maybe for Crush's Coaster at Walt Disney Studios (Paris) or Big Thunder Mountain. Getting bored for the first one (mocking the poor theming with sights on employees' car park!) and enjoying the hell out of the theme, sceneries and music for the second one!

REQUEST, not question: GUESTS, not PEEPS, please!

Last edited:
1. I know this is early on, but how do you expect the sharing of rides/coasters features to work? Or what be ideal in your mind?
2. What number are you aiming for in number of simulated guests in a park?
3. Any chance we will see rides or coasters that do not exist in the real world and are just 100% imagination. Or are you guys going for realism of following coasters/rides that already exist.

Hello!

Got a pretty big question, but first I'll answer yours - longest I waited for a ride was 3 hours for Colossus at Thorpe Park, after the sign told me it was only an hour wait. Spent most of the time watching the trains go over my head, with a bit of mobile games now and again.

The question I have is one that's been speculated a lot around here - custom content, will we be able to make and integrate it into Planet Coaster? Over a decade after RCT3 was released, and the game continues to grow with custom scenery, rides and now even tracks. With the promise that PC will be a game to last, is this part of what was meant by that?

Thanks, really looking forward to the game - it's fantastic to see so much love and care being put into the game :)

Already thanks for the work that you guys are doing! We believe in you!
So some questions (made by a friend call ANGELIS^^):

Question 1 - Buildings like Restaurants, Shops and Hotels :
- 1-1 : Is it possible to have more information on how we can build our own buildings ?
- 1-2 : Will it bepossible to build a real restaurant or souvenir shop rather than "stalls" ?
- 1-3 : Will it be also possible to build hotels to create resorts like Disneyland ?

Question 2 - Modular building and sharing :
- 2-1 : Will it be possible to create modular structures (for buildings or rides) ?
- 2-2 : If so, can we share them with other players via a specific platform ?
- 2-3 : If so, will it be possible to build structures designed by other players in our games ?

Question 3 - Darkrides :
- 3-1 : The darkrides being the most present ride type in big theme parks. Will you have a special attention with the development of a tool which allows us to create them ?
- 3-2 : If so, would it be possible to add our own textures inside?
- 3-3 : If so, Did "animatronics" are elements you want to include ?

Question 4 - Transports :
- 4-1 : Are transports will be available like little trains, monorail, shuttle bus, tramway ?
- 4-2 : If so, will they be considered by visitors as a real transport, such as ride, or both ?

Question 5 - Around the world :
- 5-1 : The game is called "Planet Coaster". Will it be possible to build theme parks in several places on the planet ?
- 5-2 : If so, does the weather have a role to play ?
- 5-3 : If so, does the seasons will have a particular impact ?

Question 6 - Our suggestions and ideas :
- 6-1 : The forum has a category "Suggestions and Ideas" very active. Is suggestions were accepted and will be incorporated into the game ?
- 6-2 : If so, can we know which one(s) ?

Question 7 - Music :
- So no question about soundtrack of the game...
- So can you tell us something about music/sound in the game that we have to know?

Last edited:
A) Will there be a spline based coaster editor in the game?
B) Will User-Generated Content be incorporated into the game?
C) How many coaster types are going to be in the game?
D) Will there be restaurants and gift shops?
E) What is your favorite feature in Planet Coaster?
F) Will we be able to import custom music and pictures into the game similar to speakers and billboards in RCT3?

Thanks for all the hard work you and Frontier are doing on Planet Coaster!!!

Last edited:
In Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, you provided an ingenious but relatively little-know addon called the Advanced Firework Editor - with that the community has been able to create thousands of professional-quality pyrotechnics, endlessly awesome dark ride effects and I was even able to make a particle effect so large it covered hundreds of squares and looked like a heavy rainstorm. The editor was simple in design, but unlimited in its scale.

Will Planet Coaster have any kind of particle editor? If so, will it have a mixmaster to help synchronize those effects to music? And if yes to that, will we have the ability to use ride triggers to synchronize a particle effect sequence using a tracked ride?

Hello Richard! As you are producer: can you say how big is the team working on Planet Coaster? How many animators and programmers are working on it? Are there other field of responsabilties for creating this game I didn´t mention, if yes, can you name them please [noob]

Thank you in advance [hehe]

To your question: I never had to wait long time for a ride, max. maybe 45 minutes.

Last edited:
Can I just ask some more questions?

A) So far we've seen two types of rides customization: colors and moveset. Should we also expect different themings to apply to every single attraction?

B) Will the campaign mode be structured in different levels and scenarios, as we saw in the previous Frontier games? (RCT1, RCT2, RCT3)

C) Can we know something more about the piece by piece building system that Planet Coaster will use?

D) Could you tell us more about the whole coaster building mode in general?

Thanks Richard![squeeeeee]

Last edited:
Nice question! [up]

I Hope that the water looks and the physics are better than the water of RCTW beta.

And I don't like the standard creating tool for landscape like in RCTW or cities. I hope we get a stronger more intelligent tool that detects if I just want to raise up a hill or push up little mountain( or bigger mountain;) with automatic texturing it.

Because i hate these "wanna be mountains" that looks all over full of grass instead of creating automatically mountains stone texture and trees.

It don't have to be realistic at all but given it more detailed would be cool.

By the way Richard is online 5pm GmT. What time is it in Germany? I'm getting always confused :p

Can we get one in game screenshot?

Have you had random people using your coaster editor tools, are they making good coasters using those tools? RCTW coaster builder was powerful but difficult learning curve.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom