Message to the Devs: Innovate or die

Devs, please, please, please take note,

Your player base is rapidly decreasing as newer games are being released with the same promises and better, more enticing game play than what you've promised. All that remains now is the most die-hard fans. And while I am a fan, and I would hate to see this game bite the dust, the evidence is clear...it is rapidly fading from the thoughts of most gamers.

Steam Charts shows the painful truth: Steam Charts - Elite Dangerous

Leading up to the release of "space legs" you saw an unprecedented spike of players, which immediately fell by 1/2 the following month due to releasing an unfinished product wrought with bugs. While the dedication to the fans has always been present, I think it's important to consider developing a game that new players would want to play. The mind-numbing grind-fest that rivals top Korean made MMOs you call "Elite Dangerous" is not that game.

January '22 saw another uptick, but only in contrast to the dramatic decrease of players following the failed space legs.

It's time to focus on improving what you already have. You have a decent game. Make some good QoL improvements to make some of the potential players come back, and after you build up your player base a little, you can be more ambitious and pursue larger developments. Let's get some of those 27K players who bought the game to see it was money well spent.

Now what youve been waiting for...my list of simple QoL improvements:

1. CUT OUT THE GRIND!!!
- I can't stress this enough. I know that you feel it should be a momentous achievement to acquire one of the Top 3 or a Fleet Carrier, and rightly so, yet that's not what it feels like. Usually it feels like this:
"OMG Finally I can afford ****, It's a-bout time. this had better be worth it."

For the average gamer, which btw has increased in age from mid-teens to early 30s (yes we grew up; Gamer demographics ), this is such a time consuming effort which we no longer have the freedom to invest. For the majority of us, we're reaching middle management positions within company, or leading busy lives raising a family (props to those who can manage both of these and still find time to play). At least in my case, I'm lucky to find 1-2 hours a day to play anything. And I'd hardly prefer to spend it just grinding. That's not relaxing, it's just plain boring. Not to mention, relax too much in this game and you die, which is just stressful.

Reduce costs for ships and equipment by a factor of 2 to 10. 1/10th might be a little aggressive, but the point is, people aren't enjoying the game anymore as a new interesting experience if they have to grind the same mission 100s of times just to afford that new shiny ship, or get that new spiffy part engineered; that's assuming they don't die in the process. Most of my ships are permanent "Hanger Queens" because I haven't finished engineering them enough to feel comfortable flying them out of the hanger. I've literally uninstalled this game almost everytime I popped and realized how much it would cost to replace my lost ship in terms of my time. I get paid $30 an hour. And you're asking me to sacrifice 100s of hours to collect some worthless in game currency for the equivalent of basically a NFT? I'm spending my free time doing this...my free time. So is everyone else who plays this game. Please have more respect for our time than sending us on endless scavenger missions for thousands of pieces of resources for an upgrade. It's so mind-numbing I feel drained everytime I play.

2. Introduce more automation
- If I have a Fleet Carrier, and I park outside of a nice mining hot spot, why can't I put hire pilot's to use MY SHIPS to mine nearby? You could have them operate similar to the NPCs who fly in and collect amidst players anyway. If that's too much of a hassle, then just "pretend" that's what they're doing and charge players a commissioning fee for hiring a pilot, do a simple spreadsheet transaction for the operation, add a timer, and treat it like a game of DnD. Depending on the security level of the area there's a % chance the mining ship fails and is killed or comes back empty handed. Done. People would accept this and there would be more incentive to make hot spots safer for miners by increasing the security. Obviously outside the bubble this wouldn't be an issue. A timer would allow all those players with jobs to set it before going to work, and by the time we get home we have a cargo full of mined resources ready to jump back to the bubble and sell. Does this mean people will be playing by "not" playing. Yes, but that's what you want. You want to occupy their thoughts rent free while they're at work. That's what keeps them coming back. They need to feel like they're accomplishing something even while they're doing other things.

Apply this logic to hiring NPCs to collect engineering resources as well. Anything to cut down on the grind...seriously, can't stress this enough.

P.S. - Should be possible even without Fleet Carrier. Hire pilots within stations to execute missions for you. Make it a statistic if need be. Roll a dice and success or fail depends on the quality of pilot hired, security of the systems involved, and how upgraded the ship is they are borrowing. If they fail, have it come back damaged, but not destroyed. You want people to use this system, not hate it completely.

3. Improve multiplayer
- Ok, so really confused how, despite so many successful multiplayer games on the market you guys can't find any inspiration to make this better. I mean, the interfacing in multiplayer is mediocre at best. I've seen comments on adding an area mic feature so people can RP pirates a little better, sounds great, you should do that. I've seen suggestions to add an auto jump feature with squadron. Yep, that should be a feature. I don't play much mutliplayer in this game because there's little incentive for me to do so, plus it's really difficult to lock down a time which I know I will be playing, much less when my buddies will be playing simultaneously. So, any improvements to make it more tantilizing might convince me to try this aspect a little more.

4. VR
- This is the future of gaming. You must, I repeat: MUST NOT abandon this. Read the title..."Innovate or die". The game that succeeds in making a totally immersive experience (i.e. - "Ready Player 1"), will be record breaking in terms of most interest among gamers. Because it is all about escape. The better the escape the more people will flock to it. VR is the stepping stone and first major step towards that, giving up on that is pairing yourself with 3rd and 4th generation consoles destined for a computer salvage store or landfill. Not retro enough to be collectible, but not innovative enough to be ground breaking.

I've said my piece. Please comment, I love to read 'em. As always, fly safe commanders! And see you in the black. o7

Last edited by a moderator:
Normal Caveats for reliability of Steam Charts data... Here's a quick and dirty chart based on the data posted by OP.
Steam Chart.jpg

The spike from October of 2020 to April of 2021 is best explained by the launch of Odyssey. Likewise the dramatic drop is as clear an indicator of Odyssey's success as can be. What you're left with is a relatively solid core demographic that keeps chugging along. If steam charts don't lie, the message isn't innovate or die, its don't screw up something people already like. As much as I dislike grind as a content substitute, you've got 7 years of data showing a player-base that's basically made peace with it. Also, careful about any sort of automation talk. "They" are positively allergic to even the idea that automation exists. Must be something to do with an AI uprising in Elite's past.

Looking at all time daily players, it appears we have the same amount of consistent players as the game has enjoyed throughout its lifespan.

If you don’t cherry-pick the Odyssey spike, the Steam charts show no significant decline.
If it wasn't for April 2016, peak players would be at an all time low though.

1. CUT OUT THE GRIND!!!

Let's imagine they cut the grind in the game seriously. What logic will make you stay online longer? Well, after the "I bought a shiny new toy and played with it enough" phase.

A good narrative? Interesting gameplay mechanics? A players rival? A huge but empty (like a real one) galaxy?

There is a reason why a lot of time-consuming donation dumps, with logic: spend X time to buy/"research"/unlock Y, are widely presented and quite popular.

I will not argue that this game needs a changes, quite the contrary. But here is your "less grind!" It has an extremely indirect relation to these necessary changes.

" V.R. is the future of gaming " , Who told you that. We've had 'VR' since mid 90's , and the modern ones since 2010ish , and STILL it's just a ' thing ' some people have lol It's going no where very slowly =-P

The old prophecy says that the game can't ever die unless the forums are finally taken over by Zoolanders. That's the true battle here.

O7,
🙃

this is such a time consuming effort which we no longer have the freedom to invest. For the majority of us, we're reaching middle management positions within company, or leading busy lives raising a family (props to those who can manage both of these and still find time to play). At least in my case, I'm lucky to find 1-2 hours a day to play anything. And I'd hardly prefer to spend it just grinding. That's not relaxing, it's just plain boring. Not to mention, relax too much in this game and you die, which is just stressful.

Which is why many people such as myself want a long-term reliable game with long-term achievements and goals. Not instant satisfaction. I don't have time to learn the latest hack'em slash'em game that I will play for under 20 hours and toss it when I'm done. I'm not a 19yo kid.

The EDO release was bad, so I didn't play it for 8 months. Primary because I didn't want to waste my time messing around with updates and suggestions on optimizing my pc settings for graphics etc. I messed around a bit, but upon failure it was no longer worth my repeated efforts with each new update. I'm sure ED is well aware of the lesson: Releasing an incomplete unplayable game you will lose players. No genius level analysis required.

Should Frontier mess with core aspects of existing gameplay in the next 12 months? IMO really bad idea. Fixing bugs and and features and add new stuff, absolutely.

If it helps your suggestion to explain corrections to Elite Dangerous to prolong its life span, I'm sorry my friend, It's too late.

The grind?
Lessening this will only give players what they want faster and become bored as there is no incentive to continue via quit, become a griefer, or toxic player toward newer players. This is the primary difference between a Console and a PC mentality. The majority of Console players are just that, a quick thrill and move on when they beat the game, sandbox or not, they will get bored easily hence the dedication to a $400 platform to the extreme dedication to a $5000 platform.
Day one, release of the vanilla, I BUILT this platform for the sole purpose of this game and only this game. (That my friend is the definition of dedication). Over the years I've seen the community get what they want; nerfs, reduction in grinds, prices, quick rankings, and finally the end of Elite Dangerous Horizons with the final ship being the Fleet Carrier. The End. No more work or nothing said about Horizons. Four decades of gaming. I know when a title is on its death bed. "Key word is Dedication" I'll get back to this.

Why were Consoles dropped from the program? Well, I'm no rocket scientist but it's very easy to see that the Console just couldn't keep up with the titles needs. This has always been known and always will be. A Console will NEVER compete with the power of an open architecture Computer Platform. It is just never going to happen.
Frontier Development tried to defy physics and failed miserably with Odyssey. Most will deny this but what was the first thing to fix some of the problems? Drop Consoles.

Introduce more content through automation?
Frontier Development is a Company. They truly do not want to dedicate the resources to code AI automation in a nearly 10 year old title. BUT you are absolutely correct in adding new content to its Core Purpose being "Elite Dangerous", not expand as they did with Odyssey, not to say Devs are slacking. They have done an amazing job with its recovery. But will a game last forever? Not without Dedication to back its title which it is too late for that now.

Improve Multi-player?
Sadly, they can't. Multi-player functions will always fall into griefing and toxicity no matter what you do. Frontier Development had the chance to punish this type of conduct by severe in game punishment via loss of insurance, loss of ships on death, inaccessibility to lawful station, major fines, and serious AI hunting for violators. But this was never implemented for whatever reason. Suggestions have been made but ultimately this is Frontiers title.

I've been banned twice for this type of explaining how I feel to sympathize with concerns like this and lengthily posts I assume as I'm never told why the ban except "Flaming"? Not sure why I seem to come across angry so maybe some of you might read this before I'm banned but,
World of Warcraft -- World of Tanks, Warships, war planes -- Eve, Eve online -- Warthunder. What is similar between all of these titles besides surviving for decades?
Key word "Dedication" to back their product and their core purpose no matter what anyone says to change it. That is why they have been around for decades and have been so successful they all have gone free to play as well.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your concerns and hope you still enjoy the game as it is truly unique from any other space-based genre and hope this title will last longer.
That and because I just LOVE it...LOL
Good Luck Commander...o7

Just so you know , I've NEVER done a ' Grind ' and I've been playing since 2015 and still having fun =-)
Woooooooot, Hacker....!LOLOL...:)
I'm just kidding with you. That is how I see it, hence the reason I don't have an FC, never bothered to grind or exploit for cash I suppose. I just always looked at Engineers, Ranks, Reputation, My Cutter as kind of end game things or goals to reach, so to speak...:)
Casual player, so I've never gotten bored. Just love to play. So, I'm always crossing my fingers this title will survive....:)
Sadly, some day it will start to become a loss to Frontier Development, but I do hope that's a long way out....o7

If it helps your suggestion to explain corrections to Elite Dangerous to prolong its life span, I'm sorry my friend, It's too late.

The grind?
Lessening this will only give players what they want faster and become bored as there is no incentive to continue via quit, become a griefer, or toxic player toward newer players. This is the primary difference between a Console and a PC mentality. The majority of Console players are just that, a quick thrill and move on when they beat the game, sandbox or not, they will get bored easily hence the dedication to a $400 platform to the extreme dedication to a $5000 platform.
Day one, release of the vanilla, I BUILT this platform for the sole purpose of this game and only this game. (That my friend is the definition of dedication). Over the years I've seen the community get what they want; nerfs, reduction in grinds, prices, quick rankings, and finally the end of Elite Dangerous Horizons with the final ship being the Fleet Carrier. The End. No more work or nothing said about Horizons. Four decades of gaming. I know when a title is on its death bed. "Key word is Dedication" I'll get back to this.

Why were Consoles dropped from the program? Well, I'm no rocket scientist but it's very easy to see that the Console just couldn't keep up with the titles needs. This has always been known and always will be. A Console will NEVER compete with the power of an open architecture Computer Platform. It is just never going to happen.
Frontier Development tried to defy physics and failed miserably with Odyssey. Most will deny this but what was the first thing to fix some of the problems? Drop Consoles.

Introduce more content through automation?
Frontier Development is a Company. They truly do not want to dedicate the resources to code AI automation in a nearly 10 year old title. BUT you are absolutely correct in adding new content to its Core Purpose being "Elite Dangerous", not expand as they did with Odyssey, not to say Devs are slacking. They have done an amazing job with its recovery. But will a game last forever? Not without Dedication to back its title which it is too late for that now.

Improve Multi-player?
Sadly, they can't. Multi-player functions will always fall into griefing and toxicity no matter what you do. Frontier Development had the chance to punish this type of conduct by severe in game punishment via loss of insurance, loss of ships on death, inaccessibility to lawful station, major fines, and serious AI hunting for violators. But this was never implemented for whatever reason. Suggestions have been made but ultimately this is Frontiers title.

I've been banned twice for this type of explaining how I feel to sympathize with concerns like this and lengthily posts I assume as I'm never told why the ban except "Flaming"? Not sure why I seem to come across angry so maybe some of you might read this before I'm banned but,
World of Warcraft -- World of Tanks, Warships, war planes -- Eve, Eve online -- Warthunder. What is similar between all of these titles besides surviving for decades?
Key word "Dedication" to back their product and their core purpose no matter what anyone says to change it. That is why they have been around for decades and have been so successful they all have gone free to play as well.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your concerns and hope you still enjoy the game as it is truly unique from any other space-based genre and hope this title will last longer.
Good Luck Commander...o7
There are games out on consoles which need more power then EDO, I would call it bad optimaziation. 👍

Good Luck Commander...o7
None of these games are good examples for anybody to follow.

World of Warcraft, like most MMORPGs, has survived because of its community element, not because of its thoroughly flawed design philosophy (and the out-of-touch jerks in charge with a distinct lack of morals at Blizzard, as has been brought to light in recent times).

Wargaming games are the absolute pinnacle of disrespect for the player's time, with egregious levels of grind, exploitable pay-to-win gimmicks, no narrative whatsoever past reaching grind goalposts, and worst of all force-injected RNG elements at almost every single level of the gameplay loop.

War Thunder, as with all Gaijin products, has much of the same issues with disrespect for player's time and incredibly excessive grind, with lots of aggressive and greedy monetization practices to boot (though notably, they have refrained from lootboxing). The damage modeling is incredibly inconsistent as well, where you can have games where you one-shot and are one-shot but other times can hit or be hit hundreds of times and suffer no real impact. The main reason they & Wargaming have met with any measure of success is the absence of any real competition in the vehicular combat gaming market. (And they have one distinct aspect that is praiseworthy - the graphics & physics rendering is some of the best around.)

EVE Online is fun to read about, far less to actually play. If anything, the idea that they have met success through 'dedication to their core purpose' might actually apply here, but that has hampered popularity as much as enhanced it given how heavy the EVE "niche" has become.

Last edited:
I've said my piece. Please comment, I love to read 'em. As always, fly safe commanders! And see you in the black. o7
To the OP: your suggestion thread would have been better off if you focused on your specific suggestion ideas and cut out any extraneous lines of thought like the playerbase count and the provocative (and somewhat contradictory) thread title.

In a nutshell, your points are:
  • Less grind (by means of reducing credit prices for things)
  • Allow automation of tasks via hiring NPCs
  • Improve Multiplayer experience
  • More VR support

which are broad topics to condense into 1 thread and also are common points of discussion already on the forums.

Specificity and detail are much better for constructive suggestion-making than the way this thread has gone.

Top Bottom