Message to the Devs: Innovate or die

Id say they need to design more to the strengths of Elite rather than innovate.

Starfield doesnt have a persistant, online BGS and never will.

To the OP: your suggestion thread would have been better off if you focused on your specific suggestion ideas and cut out any extraneous lines of thought like the playerbase count and the provocative (and somewhat contradictory) thread title.

In a nutshell, your points are:
  • Less grind (by means of reducing credit prices for things)
  • Allow automation of tasks via hiring NPCs
  • Improve Multiplayer experience
  • More VR support

which are broad topics to condense into 1 thread and also are common points of discussion already on the forums.

Specificity and detail are much better for constructive suggestion-making than the way this thread has gone.
"Less grind (by means of reducing credit prices for things)"
I'll fix it, the problem is not money, it's the fact of going for things to engineer, charge me money, I pay 2 million or 10 for a 5 grade if you want but let me not have to go 2 hours of travel to get 3 things , I support going to guardian sites for blueprints, that would not be sold, but the rest? Is it that nobody buys the resources? mine them?, I don't believe it at all, the problem is not money at the moment, except for certain things, like the fact that it costs 1 billion to assemble the corvette, that doesn't seem bad to me but it is excessive, the problem is engineering and its absurdity of not being able to pay for something that everyone has, it's as if I had to go to a settlement to steal an i9 because they don't sell it to me, really? Zero sense

None of these games are good examples for anybody to follow.
I'm not going to quote your entire post, but the titles mentioned are only meant to be examples of only longevity in all products in the gaming setting of entertainment, nothing more than that. They are clearly not the same genre as I did point out I believe. If not, that indeed was a mistake on my behalf.

Needless to say, I've played them all and, yes, they are all very different titles in genre and quite fun given the maintaining of their core concept as Frontier Development has done with Elites Dangerous Horizons, very stable and loved title, but has changed its core concept over time and with Odyssey, in my opinion of course. But I'm truly concerned that you really needed to bash/slander other company's titles to such an extent that in this mindset did to properly form a correct and informative post for the OP's suggestions and others to form an unbiased understanding?

But I do respect your opinion if it means anything....:)

Their working on something. It's not known what. I guess the next 2 patches will determine fdevs direction they've chosen.
Until then guess we have to sit n wait

@xzanfr
Core concept changes are difficult due to the "do or die effect" but Frontier has recovered quite well but I question was it too late.
I would rather not see Elite die but if it does you couldn't have said it any better...:)

Breaking news:

WHOLE BRITISH DEVELOPMENT COMPANY DISAPPEAR FROM THEIR PREMISES

Last night, the whole personnel of a famous British software company (whose name has not yet been disclosed) appears to have completely vanished from their office building.
A few hundred people suddenly disappeared from their desks. CCTV footage clearly shows all the personnel accessing the building earlier in the morning but, following a thorough inspection by the police, nobody could be found inside when the alarm was raised by one visitor.
Developers, project managers, board members, caterers, cleaners, security guards (the last three categories all identified as the Armchair Optimisation Team): everyone within the building has vanished. It is reported that the QA team had already vanished about 15 months ago.
No visible signs of violence or struggle have been detected, everything inside the building appears as if people disappeared while performing their duties.
More investigation will be required to determine the causes of this baffling and surreal occurrence. Some speculation has emerged, claiming that the whole personnel might have died, but no reasonable explanation can be given to support the hypothesis.
At this moment, the police have managed to identify one witness, one Brian Azmeson, who claims to have talked to the CEO just in the afternoon, and, according to his account, he pressured the CEO to introduce innovation to one of his top software packages, only to receive a blunt "No, we'll not innovate". After that, the line suddenly dropped.
Mr Azmeson then quickly added: "This my conclusion".

Disclaimer.

This is what the title of the thread meant to me.

For any other consideration, please refer to my signature.

Breaking news:

WHOLE BRITISH DEVELOPMENT COMPANY DISAPPEAR FROM THEIR PREMISES

Last night, the whole personnel of a famous British software company (whose name has not yet been disclosed) appears to have completely vanished from their office building.
A few hundred people suddenly disappeared from their desks. CCTV footage clearly shows all the personnel accessing the building earlier in the morning but, following a thorough inspection by the police, nobody could be found inside when the alarm was raised by one visitor.
Developers, project managers, board members, caterers, cleaners, security guards (the last three categories all identified as the Armchair Optimisation Team): everyone within the building has vanished. It is reported that the QA team had already vanished about 15 months ago.
No visible signs of violence or struggle have been detected, everything inside the building appears as if people disappeared while performing their duties.
More investigation will be required to determine the causes of this baffling and surreal occurrence. Some speculation has emerged, claiming that the whole personnel might have died, but no reasonable explanation can be given to support the hypothesis.
At this moment, the police have managed to identify one witness, one Brian Azmeson, who claims to have talked to the CEO just in the afternoon, and, according to his account, he pressured the CEO to introduce innovation to one of his top software packages, only to receive a blunt "No, we'll not innovate". After that, the line suddenly dropped.
Mr Azmeson then quickly added: "This my conclusion".

Disclaimer.

This is what the title of the thread meant to me.

For any other consideration, please refer to my signature.
Genius :D , especially:

:ROFLMAO:

I'm not going to quote your entire post, but the titles mentioned are only meant to be examples of only longevity in all products in the gaming setting of entertainment, nothing more than that. They are clearly not the same genre as I did point out I believe. If not, that indeed was a mistake on my behalf.

Needless to say, I've played them all and, yes, they are all very different titles in genre and quite fun given the maintaining of their core concept as Frontier Development has done with Elites Dangerous Horizons, very stable and loved title, but has changed its core concept over time and with Odyssey, in my opinion of course. But I'm truly concerned that you really needed to bash/slander other company's titles to such an extent that in this mindset did to properly form a correct and informative post for the OP's suggestions and others to form an unbiased understanding?

But I do respect your opinion if it means anything....:)
Wargaming has given me gamer PTSD. Gaijin too, to a lesser extent. Blizzard (or the upper echelons of management at least) dug their own hole, in my view.

All their games can be fun, if you intentionally do not take success or putting in effort/attention seriously. My personal opinion is that, in reality, their games offer a flawed and unfun experience compared to what else is possible, and will only maintain a status quo until something better comes along, because the only 'core concepts' they have clung to are the ones that diminish the worth of player time and effort investment. (And it adds insult to injury that many other game titles with great potential, such as Mechwarrior Online, Armored Warfare, and Dreadnought, all wound up becoming dreadful failures that entered maintenance mode early into their life cycle, solely because they sought to replicate the flawed World of Tanks model.)

Regarding Elite, the creation and ongoing additions to Horizons were anything but stable - it was actually a rather bumpy ride, rife with periods of unplayable bugs and glitches and other undesired moments. Neither was it universally loved, as can be witnessed through the continued controversy over Engineering and its impacts upon the game (especially knock-on effects to combat balance). It's seen steady, gradual improvements and refinement over time, but continues to fall short of desires and expectations in several key design areas. Those issues merely have been upstaged by the issues brought with the release of Odyssey, rather than having been appropriately addressed.

I attribute this failing to distinct mistakes in management and direction, leading to haphazard and often contradictory implementations. If anything, there's been a lack of 'maintaining of their core concept' - unless the only core concept is to ensure a ready supply of pretty ships-and-vehicles-in-space-screenshots.

Moving forward from this point will hopefully include management & direction decisions that have a clear focus and idea of what the Elite experience should be, what makes games fun, and what can be learned by observing the flaws and mistakes made by other existing titles around the industry.

Brazen asked
"Where's the money atm in gaming?"
Fdevs replied
"Fps shooters." Everyone loves a shooter on foot.
"But we're a space exploration game"
Aye its niche we wanna open elite up to the masses, think of the arx revenue!

The rest is recent history

Brazen asked
"Where's the money atm in gaming?"
Fdevs replied
"Fps shooters." Everyone loves a shooter on foot.
"But we're a space exploration game"
Aye its niche we wanna open elite up to the masses, think of the arx revenue!

The rest is recent history
WATCH OUT! With that, the fact of having FPS, can mean that in the future, if frontier is ready, the exploration will emerge, giving rise to the fact that if someone goes to planet X and gets off the ship, they can find life, literally speaking, that is, guardians, thargoids etc, and that these are not neutral and attack, that gives life to something exciting to find something and end up surviving it, it is not worth disconnecting from the menu or closing the game XD, adding FPS to the game adds the possibility of a lot of content, because space is not just space, it is everything outside the earth, that includes planetary exploration, and what better to do in the first person and not in a car

Yeah l get that and bring it on.. I got my double silenced shotgun and a g5 fully modded dom and maverick suit to take em on.
This wasn't a fps shooter. It now is.
So that's it huh. In the black now filled with on foot goids ambushing me on some undiscovered moon 15000ly from the bubble.
My artemis suit is just a g3 crap one I bought from a space orbital. Let's hope I do all my surface stuff in a dom suit hehe... point is there's supposed to be more to elite than pew pew.
Exploration in depth. EVA etc. Space hulks. Unknown stuff, all kinds of weird faults with the ship during its long voyage.
Smuggling needs a huge amount of content.
So does piracy.
And pvp law n order rework. Stop ganking. Much to be done that was outstanding as problems long before odyssey dropped.

IDUYAVz.jpg

O7

this is such a time consuming effort which we no longer have the freedom to invest
Absolutely. In the past I tried to get friends to join in and the immense grind is what turned them all away.
Respect the time of your clientele, I know that's hard for you to wrap your heads around but if we feel like our time is being wasted, we won't buy a damn thing.

If I have a Fleet Carrier, and I park outside of a nice mining hot spot, why can't I put hire pilot's to use MY SHIPS to mine nearby?
Yes. Absolutely this. Fleet Carriers are mostly glorified parking spaces except in those cases where a large squadron is actively contributing to its operation.
I don't play much mutliplayer in this game because there's little incentive for me to do so
Same. Multiplayer in Elite Dangerous is mostly just getting ganked by insufferable trolls with literally nothing better to do.
It seems Elite Dangerous suffers greatly from a complete lack of player incentive. I always feel like I'm running on fumes or hopeium whenever I play for more than just ship combat. Everything takes so long to do, multiplayer feels like an afterthought, they thought making a boring rock-paper-scissors version of Call of Duty was a good idea.

To make matters 100% worse, the community is full of gatekeepers who don't think anything can or should change because "it's just not the game for you."
Bullsh*t, No Man's Sky is kicking Elite's ass right now. How? The combat is bad, it's a giant muddy cartoon, the interactions are weird and disconjointed, and yet there are 25,000 players playing it right now, while Elite is sitting at a consistent 3,000. But what No Man's Sky does have is way too much to do, and lots of incentives to do those things. It doesn't take an ungodly amount of time to do anything. You can build your own settlements, trade for a seemingly endless variety of ships, collect all the resources you need in a reasonable amount of time.
Don't even get us started on all the immersive elements in St*r Citizen. As broken as it is, it's not afraid to add little stuff that would objectively make the game better. And have you seen what kind of money it's pulled? It's embarrassing.

These are all things Fdev could be learning from and implementing! But they're not!
Maybe Fdev just hates us? Maybe they think we're a bunch of stupid plebs who don't know any better.
I mean we could just look at the evidence.
They have said that refreshing instances by logging out/logging in is not an exploit when it clearly is.
They make community goals about collecting guardian artifacts, the fastest way to do this is to slam hundreds of limpets into the ground until they pick up all the artifacts, reloading, then repeating until you're out of limpets. This is #1, incredibly boring. #2, incredibly asinine.
Next up: Content. Does anyone feel like the Scorpion adds anything to the game? They could have made it a 30 ton monster with powerful and accurate guns but instead it just feels like a less useful scarab.
The last ship that was introduced? The Mamba... four years ago.
Next up: Odyssey as a whole. This expansion just seems wrong. Sure getting out and doing some stuff on foot is cool for a bit but if that effort doesn't contribute towards the core gameplay then what's the point? Also they added a cheapo call of duty clone that doesn't offer much reward and eventually makes grinding the engineers necessary if you try to climb those ranks (but why would you?)

Overall Elite Dangerous kinda feels like a bad game of Dungeons and Dragons, where the DM is grumpy and old and gets most of their enjoyment out of making you suffer for wanting to do something cool that they don't want you to do.

Top Bottom