Meta-Suggestions list 1.8 Edition (5th edition)

I'd like to add onto this list...

- Allow for more American Alligators to be housed together. In the wild and in zoos they are quite tolerant of each other, more so than crocodiles. Allowing more than 2 adults per enclosure will distinguish them from the crocodile, the gharial, and the caiman we currently have in-game.
Yes, definitely! I was planning on having a group of maybe 3 or 4 adult alligators in an exhibit. That’s how they’re often seen in zoos, at least the ones I’ve seen. Oh well, it’s not the end of the world, but I’m sure is an easy tweak.

Yes, definitely! I was planning on having a group of maybe 3 or 4 adult alligators in an exhibit. That’s how they’re often seen in zoos, at least the ones I’ve seen. Oh well, it’s not the end of the world, but I’m sure is an easy tweak.
To my knowledge, gators are solitary and territorial at norm. The only reason they are tolerant to one another is the food abundance and their sizes being not too intimidating. Should there be a big bull in the house, they'd scatter. But then again, having said that, crocs are indeed more aggro than gators.

Last edited:
Seeing as Frontier isn't afraid to include extremely thin and small items as we've seen from the Birch pack, I would love to see this trend of broken items go towards the other broken trees as well. In addition to this, I'd absolutely love some "single" versions of the plants we have ingame, like a single reed or cattail, or a single flower. It'd be amazing in particular for more detailed builds.

Also Tegidcam Hotkeys please <3

To my knowledge, gators are solitary and territorial at norm. The only reason they are tolerant to one another is the food abundance and their sizes being not too intimidating. Should there be a big bull in the house, they'd scatter. But then again, having said that, crocs are indeed more aggro than gators.
In Busch Gardens they keep like 10 huge gators together in a decent enclosure. No hostility amongst them

Last edited:
As always a fantastic list bearcat!

I would like 1, 2 maybe 3 city backgrounds for the maps.
Here in Germany (e.g.) it is common to have zoos within a city. Rarely that which are outside.
Therefore, I would be very happy to have multiple versions of city backgrounds.

elb_00061fbd.jpg

Hannover
Kölner_Zoo_(Flight_over_Cologne).jpg

Köln
R08270879.jpg

Berlin

Maybe you can add that to the whole landscape backgrounds, I know some more would find this cool.

The most important suggestion I would have is not on the list yet:

Multiple habitat gates! Especially important for large habitats. This will allow much greater flexibility in habitat creation and park design, keepers can much more efficiently access their assigned habitats, and animals can use the entire habitat instead of dwelling near the section of the gate because that's where all the food and food enrichment is because otherwise the keepers have to walk too far...

I would like to have the option of enabling research in sandbox.

Yes, and to add to that, reset research in Franchise mode.

The most important suggestion I would have is not on the list yet:

Multiple habitat gates! Especially important for large habitats. This will allow much greater flexibility in habitat creation and park design, keepers can much more efficiently access their assigned habitats, and animals can use the entire habitat instead of dwelling near the section of the gate because that's where all the food and food enrichment is because otherwise the keepers have to walk too far...
+1

Also, not really a suggestion @Bearcat9948 , but there is no link to visual representation of the space requirements for the koala. I assume you wanted to link the thread you made comparing the in-game requirements with realistic requirements.

• Australia mandates that koala habitat space is 20m^2 for a koala, with an additional 10m^2 per each new animal. The largest habitat size was around 100m^2…..PZ mandates minimum size for a Koala be 180m^2. Visual representation found here. I recommend the new minimum be 100m^2.

I like to request a different Market Place for Sandbox mode, it's sandbox mode so give us some control. let us adjust the Animals we want, like if we want an Albino then give us that option, it we want an animal with certain stats let us adjust it. Someone made a perfect graphical image of how this could be achived but I cant find the topic right now.

In Busch Gardens they keep like 10 huge gators together in a decent enclosure. No hostility amongst them
Not disputing this at all- just a question: do you know the sexes? Often large groups of female animals (sometimes male-only groups too) can be kept together without issues (IRL & in-game), it’s only if the sexes are mixed that an issue arises. I’ve not checked the gators in game but lots of SW crocs can be kept together without any issues.

Having fat animals is a sign of poor husbandry. Obesity is as much of a health issue as starvation. Modern zoological institutions put extensive research & funding into providing their animals healthy and balanced diets, and promoting increased activity and enrichment through habitat design and enrichment, in order to maintain a healthy weight.
I worked at a zoo for years, and volunteered around quite a few (modern) zoos through the years. You can have all the research and balamced diet you want, but animals are lazy (just like us). You can't force them to exercise, and it would be unethical to put them on food foraging trips, from which they get most food in nature.

I agree obesity is a sign something is wrong, but animals being chubby applies to almost all animals in zoos in general.

Not disputing this at all- just a question: do you know the sexes? Often large groups of female animals (sometimes male-only groups too) can be kept together without issues (IRL & in-game), it’s only if the sexes are mixed that an issue arises. I’ve not checked the gators in game but lots of SW crocs can be kept together without any issues.
They are all male.
Source: https://youtu.be/S3aeJLwb-Hw

They say they don’t breed anymore because there is no conservation need here in Florida so they just take in nuisance animals that become too used to humans. They actually have 14 gators! The bachelor sizes in PZ are still solitary however so I wish atleast maybe those would be rectified. However, I’m still pretty sure we have mixed gender population Florida zoos they probably don’t breed them though or their juvenilles or sub adults

Last edited:
Going to disagree with a couple of things.
  • "Timber wolf " refers to specifically to three North American exclusive subspecies of gray wolf. Since the gray wolf in game represents the species as a whole, as a sort of umbrella, the name should be changed to simply "Gray wolf". If the wolf is intended to in fact be a "Timber wolf" that name can stay, however the animal must not be considered a European animal any longer. If the animal is intended to be North American, Northern Rocky Mountain, or just Rocky Mountain wolf, would be the best possible name.
The ‘Timber wolf’ does not represent the whole species - its range excludes especially cold and warm adapted populations. Rather, it represents the generic temperate/taiga ecomorph of the grey wolf. Whilst I agree Timber Wolf is wrong - I don’t see it as a big deal at all. (Also, ‘Grey wolf’ would also be wrong since the in-game model does not represent the whole species). I would hate if the range was reduced and it was made NA only…. That would mean that. To get a Eurasian wolf we’d need a new animal which, to all intents and purposes, would have the same appearance and requirements as the current wolf. People complained the Arctic wolf was a reskin - imagine if they did this!

1. For the "Nature" tab, Central American should be added to North America and removed from South America, in order to be accurate to geography and geopolitical issues.
    • Any animal that lives in Central America but only has the current South/Central tag will need to have the new North/Central America tag added.
Central America is better (IMO) with SA than NA - whilst it is geographically and geopolitically NA, Biologically, it has far more in common with SA. Since this is a zoo game, I think that’s more important as a designator.

EDIT: on the other had, the koala, based on its distribution, is not A ‘Queensland koala’ it’s just a koala. The Queensland populations (debatably) aren’t even a subspecies. References in the zoopedia to ‘Queensland koala’ should be changed to just ‘Koala’.

Last edited:
The map of Asia on the clouded leopard's Zoopedia page is messed up. I currently can't get my screencap to upload but you can check for yourself.
For clouded leopard, one of my most anticipated animal, I'm still upset with the glitchy climbs and slow motion jumps. Hopefully it gets fixed too....
Planet_Zoo_Screenshot_2021.10.05_-_15.23.03.91.jpg
Also a friend of mine sent me an image of his male dhole's ear warping a bit. Though this we can expect it to be fixed soon.

Phew, ok. Here goes:
Camels and bisons have had their cold tolerance increased in the last update! I haven't checked the bear yet.
Would love to update this, can you provide any more specifics? Did not see any mention of this in the patch notes.
Totally. All this is good. I also suggest bald cypress as a new aquatic plant
Here's some things I'd like to add for this go around:
  • Add the Aquatic biome to North American Beavers
  • Add the Aquatic and Tundra biomes to Moose
  • Allow American Alligators to be housed in larger groups
  • Add Baird's Tapirs and Giant Anteaters to the North America Zoopedia filter (the Lesser Antilean Iguana, Mexican Red-knee Tarantula, and Red-eyed Tree Frog are correctly in this filter by contrast)
Will add these later today
A somewhat related idea (I don't know if this goes a bit beyond the sort of suggestions you're making here): placeable areas of darkness. Essentially opposite-lights.

Having no knowledge of programming, I don't know how difficult it would be, but it seems like it should be the same logic as water shaders, right? You designate an area as 'dark' and the camera uses night lighting while in that area?
This has been brought up many times, including by myself, I just am very skeptical if it's possible.
I'd like to add onto this list...

- Allow for more American Alligators to be housed together. In the wild and in zoos they are quite tolerant of each other, more so than crocodiles. Allowing more than 2 adults per enclosure will distinguish them from the crocodile, the gharial, and the caiman we currently have in-game.
Will try and find AZA care manuals and see what I can get from that. I have used AZA and EAZA care manuals to try and cross check errors with things like group or habitat space requirements
Seeing as Frontier isn't afraid to include extremely thin and small items as we've seen from the Birch pack, I would love to see this trend of broken items go towards the other broken trees as well. In addition to this, I'd absolutely love some "single" versions of the plants we have ingame, like a single reed or cattail, or a single flower. It'd be amazing in particular for more detailed builds.
I will add this later
As always a fantastic list bearcat!

I would like 1, 2 maybe 3 city backgrounds for the maps.
Here in Germany (e.g.) it is common to have zoos within a city. Rarely that which are outside.
Therefore, I would be very happy to have multiple versions of city backgrounds.
There is a map background for a city zoo already, so if they just let us choose which we want to use, you could use that in any biome. It's one of the campaign zoos IIRC.
Going to disagree with a couple of things.

The ‘Timber wolf’ does not represent the whole species - its range excludes especially cold and warm adapted populations. Rather, it represents the generic temperate/taiga ecomorph of the grey wolf. Whilst I agree Timber Wolf is wrong - I don’t see it as a big deal at all. (Also, ‘Grey wolf’ would also be wrong since the in-game model does not represent the whole species). I would hate if the range was reduced and it was made NA only…. That would mean that. To get a Eurasian wolf we’d need a new animal which, to all intents and purposes, would have the same appearance and requirements as the current wolf. People complained the Arctic wolf was a reskin - imagine if they did this!
I really, really dislike using generic terms for animals, like "Gray wolf", when there are vast differences even just between the North American animals from each other. An Italian wolf and a Rocky Mountain wolf are vastly different, yet the game treats them as the same. I'm actually going to change it and recommend it be renamed as the Rocky Mountain wolf, and have Europe removed altogether.
Central America is better (IMO) with SA than NA - whilst it is geographically and geopolitically NA, Biologically, it has far more in common with SA. Since this is a zoo game, I think that’s more important as a designator.

EDIT: on the other had, the koala, based on its distribution, is not A ‘Queensland koala’ it’s just a koala. The Queensland populations (debatably) aren’t even a subspecies. References in the zoopedia to ‘Queensland koala’ should be changed to just ‘Koala’.
I'll have to check the koala distribution map later to confirm. As far as the Central America North/South debate, Frontier has sort of fixed this error by including all Central American animals in the North America Zoopedia filter. So, I take this as them somewhat recognizing they were incorrect in lumping it with South America, and am going to continue to recommend this change.
Another thing: should gators have the tropical tag?
Because they're found in the Everglades, which is like a tropical biome. Mangrove trees and brackish water (never been, always wanted too).
The very lower tip of Florida is considered to be tropical climate but not tropical rainforest, from what I understand, but someone else can weigh in on this.

Top Bottom