Microsoft acquires Bethesda!

SCARY.
MS is been known for buying up game companies and closing them.
Just like they did with businesses.
Remember the days of Atari, Apple, IBM? and then MS appeared.

SCARY.
They have closed some studios in the past, but it's not fair to say that they are known for it. There are publishers out there who closed vastly more studios. EA's studio graveyard make MS record seem irrelevantly small. What they are known for is relatively small level of interference, allowing studios generally to work on their own terms as soon as final product delivers. Which I find quite appealing.

They have closed some studios in the past, but it's not fair to say that they are known for it. There are publishers out there who closed vastly more studios. EA's studio graveyard make MS record seem irrelevantly small. What they are known for is relatively small level of interference, allowing studios generally to work on their own terms as soon as final product delivers. Which I find quite appealing.
Bethesda said in their statement (if I understand it correctly) that they will still not only develop but also publish their games. And that although they will be part of the gamepass for XBox and PC, they are not going to be exclusives.
So from what I'm seeing they retained quite a bit of freedom and it's nothing like EA, where the studios are contracted.

I don't know. To me, this sounds like a good deal for all parties and if all goes well, for gamers in particular.

Deleted member 110222

D
Naturally this is a very hot topic in the UESP community.

And not being funny, but some of those guys have been following the TES franchise since 1995 and recording tomes of lore. They are more qualified than us to give a good opinion. Honestly, nobody there is worried at all. Actually a fair bit of cautious excitement, believe it or not.

Seems the most likely alternatives were Amazon or Google.

Bethesda was already getting stupid. Zenimax was already getting stupid.

Thank goodness it was Microsoft. Thank bloody goodness. Those guys lately, have been alright.

When it comes to Microsoft...they developed and designed the tech that allows me to have reasonable internet speeds on this small rock in the ocean...that and a ton of other good things they do and have done over recent years.

I like the head of Xbox development at Microsoft...Phil Spencer has done wonders for not only the development of that platform but for gamers everywhere. This recent move with Bethesda is only a small part of that strategy...empowering gamers.

Now tell me it's a bad thing...

SCARY.
The first thing Cambridge university computer science course tell you to do is install Linux on your pc.

Last edited:
There is a really good interview Larry Hyrb (from Xbox) did with Todd Howard, Peter Hines and Phil Spencer about the this.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI2IPeocbAA

Interestingly at 16:58 Larry asked Todd about Starfield and he says "once we got on the new systems, the things we found we could do .. and so, its a major engine re-write".

So;
A) he said systems and NOT system - so hopefully this means that its coming to Xbox and PS5

B) Since Bethesda's engine came up in this thread, that the engine is being largely written.

This probably also explains why nothing has been seen of Starfield since that 2018 teaser trailer, it also sounds like its a long way of yet. 2022 anyone?

There is a really good interview Larry Hyrb (from Xbox) did with Todd Howard, Peter Hines and Phil Spencer about the this.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI2IPeocbAA

Interestingly at 16:58 Larry asked Todd about Starfield and he says "once we got on the new systems, the things we found we could do .. and so, its a major engine re-write".

So;
A) he said systems and NOT system - so hopefully this means that its coming to Xbox and PS5

B) Since Bethesda's engine came up in this thread, that the engine is being largely written.

This probably also explains why nothing has been seen of Starfield since that 2018 teaser trailer, it also sounds like its a long way of yet. 2022 anyone?

Whatever Hines or Todd narrate on a long day isn't worth much. Tomorrow the world they described today looks so different and they would just shrug and not understand how you could even take into account what they told yesterday.

How do you know that. David Braben and Ian Bell went there. So did the designers of the BBC Micro. I have been in contact with the department too. so...**
You're missing the point. If games ran better on Linux, I'm sure everyone playing games would be using it... they don't, so it's relegated to geekdom or for folks who, for some reason, wish to appear as a bit of a rebel. I'm sure Linux serves it's purpose well for the anti-establishment activists all typing furiously away somewhere, some folk just plain prefer it...I just play games these days ;)

Last edited:
I'm sure Linux serves it's purpose
Quite literally, in fact. It's usually the best option for servers. :LOL:

But yeah, to have a widely embraced system, you have to pour a lot of money and workforce into it, which is the exact opposite the Unix distros (apart from the Android and OSX, which are technically also based on it) are trying to do. The sole fact that there are more than 20 Unix/Linux distros that are "widely used" and probably dozens of others (One could even argue that every user will eventually end up with their own distro, considering how the whole thing operates) means that software devs, and game devs in particular, avoid a big headache by simply ignoring this part of the population. :)

Quite literally, in fact. It's usually the best option for servers. :LOL:

But yeah, to have a widely embraced system, you have to pour a lot of money and workforce into it, which is the exact opposite the Unix distros (apart from the Android and OSX, which are technically also based on it) are trying to do. The sole fact that there are more than 20 Unix/Linux distros that are "widely used" and probably dozens of others (One could even argue that every user will eventually end up with their own distro, considering how the whole thing operates) means that software devs, and game devs in particular, avoid a big headache by simply ignoring this part of the population. :)
I remember the many years I spent using Windows NT rather than Windows 95...and suffering the pains, joys and freedoms it sometimes offered up. I never really messed with Linux or Unix since at the core, I've always played games. I'm just a glorified console gamer at heart let loose with the power of a PC...I don't even have printer drivers on my current build, everything not directly involved with playing games, I farmed all of those 'non essential' functions out to my wife's machine in her office :D

Last edited:
I read an article recently that stated Starfield will be the biggest engine revamp since Oblivion. Im holding out hopes its going to be some kind of excellent spaceish rpg but im also skeptical. I'll love it if I can try it on my gamepass subscription.

Last edited:
Top Bottom