Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

It's kind of concerning that we still haven't heard any mention of VR.

I mean, for the graphics alone and pure enjoyment, I would (and will) probably play it on the monitor, anyway (this bloody thing cost me arm and leg, so I bloody hell am going to use it), but I would still love to play it in VR from time to time, just like Elite. It's just a whole another experience.

I mean, for the graphics alone and pure enjoyment, I would (and will) probably play it on the monitor, anyway (this bloody thing cost me arm and leg, so I bloody hell am going to use it), but I would still love to play it in VR from time to time, just like Elite. It's just a whole another experience.

I read somewhere a dev comment, that VR is "desirable" and I think they will add it. At the very least a 3rd party VR app will be surely available given all you need is a fixed viewpoint position, no need to solve locomotion problems.
Unless the sim community start to complain about 'air legs', that they want to walk into the aircraft, around it, and want to go to the toilet or disarm attackers, or unruly passengers... :)

I’m just wondering what sort of specs are expected to run it at the levels we are seeing in the videos here!

I.e is my less-than-18-months-old Ryzen 7 1700x with 32Gb Ram and a GTX1070 going to even start it...?!

I think the ground level graphics is not a big deal actually, I expect volumetric cloud effects to be a real resource hog. I.e. you can probably tone it down to run properly with compromises here and there.

Asobo has talked about it in interviews. They don't think they will have VR in for launch but they do plan to add it in time. It might still make it for launch, but at this point its unlikely unless things change. They want the sim core itself to be solid first, that is their priority for now.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I think they've been convinced by the demand for VR, although I still maintain that it's niche. It's a vocal minority but a money'd one, so I suspect they'll implement it at some point. They had no plans for it at all to begin with but are talking about taking a serious look at VR now, so that's a win for VR folks.

I do worry about the system requirements too, but it's not like they're developing this on some sci-fi supercomputer that is unavailable to the consumer. They're using high end equpiment, sure, but it's nothing that a modern PC shouldn't be able to handle I'd wager. Besides they're aiming for a console release too.

I think they've been convinced by the demand for VR, although I still maintain that it's niche. It's a vocal minority but a money'd one, so I suspect they'll implement it at some point. They had no plans for it at all to begin with but are talking about taking a serious look at VR now, so that's a win for VR folks.

I do worry about the system requirements too, but it's not like they're developing this on some sci-fi supercomputer that is unavailable to the consumer. They're using high end equpiment, sure, but it's nothing that a modern PC shouldn't be able to handle I'd wager. Besides they're aiming for a console release too.
It's niche but has got a decent following in simming I'd guess.

It's niche but has got a decent following in simming I'd guess.

Considering they are catering for those building their own cockpit, VR is a pretty broad niche. I think the real question is not VR or not, rather whether they make the cockpits fully functional with VR controls, or it will be only an HMD like in Elite. Given the incredible depth, I can image they will go for the former. :)

Considering they are catering for those building their own cockpit, VR is a pretty broad niche. I think the real question is not VR or not, rather whether they make the cockpits fully functional with VR controls, or it will be only an HMD like in Elite. Given the incredible depth, I can image they will go for the former. :)

How is VR compatible with building your own cockpit? You won't be able to see it wearing a VR headset.

How is VR compatible with building your own cockpit? You won't be able to see it wearing a VR headset.

I meant that according to the video, they will support cockpit builds, and those are definitively more niche that VR. So I guess/hope VR must be planned.

Man I can't wait to fire this thing up with my Index. I'm liking the sound of these guys calling VR a "high priority." It ain't Chris Roberts we're talking about.
Plus unlike Roberts, they are ACTUALLY developing a revolutionary piece of tech, there.
I can't wait, either. Boy I wish were invited to testing. :|

Man I can't wait to fire this thing up with my Index. I'm liking the sound of these guys calling VR a "high priority." It ain't Chris Roberts we're talking about.
This is going to boost high end GPU sales. Hope someday they'll make SLI work as a single 2080TI might struggle on that... (and even more when we have higher resolution headsets !)

Top Bottom