Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

So the last couple of days i have had a fever and I've been coughing, so I'm in isolation, being tested today. I have mild symptoms, so no worries, but I needed something to entertain me, so I bought M$FS 2020 for my "new" VR rig, R3950X, RTX-3070, Reverb G2 and X52 Hotas.

I took some time to download and install the current 160+ GB (at 250 mb/s), so I spent a couple of hours watching some Squirrel videos, that were excellent (subscribed). After having watched those, it was a walk in the park to set up the sim. I certainly don't get 90 fps, but the resolution is awesome, and once I get the settings tweaked, I'll be fine. It's not an alpha FPS, cough, running at 5-20 fps ;)

First thing I did was get a tiny Cessna, set everything to EASY and took of from the nearest airport to where I live IRL. Then I did a few loops and barrel rolls over my RL home before I crashed into the street at way to much speed at an almost vertical angle :cool:>😱>:LOL:

This sim is amazing. I've only flown a few hours, and I still twist yaw and fly like I do in ED, but I see the potential once I learn that the thrusters are gone. Also the community and the dev enthusiasm seems good. I might miss the frag cannons though...

Time to get into one of those aerobatic planes and find an airport in the Alps...

Yeah, great game and absolute daily driver for me. Complex planes are still lacking though. I tried to fly today with A320 (downloaded the community mod as well, as always I'm unsure if it is actually loaded by the system), but it failed to climb above 35k feet and even there it barely kept 200 kts at full throttle. Oh yeah, and I crashed my landing gear while taxiing at Charles de Gaule, a premium airport in France which was part of the latest world update - again, this is a beta version at best... :)

iu

Has anyone tried the new heli (Bell 47G) from FlyInside?

Yup, not easy to fly with any precision. I had experience with the DCS Huey, though, and that helped a lot - the flight models are fairly similar. All the same, I'm still flying it with the (non-authentic) engine governor on, and damage turned off. It can get away from you very quickly if you don't concentrate.

Aye, saw that. That really is exceptionally awesome. They decided to Zip the files. 😆
Cue the moaning: "MSFS 2020 install times are ridiculously long" 😂

I remember people preloading games on Steam which then took up to two hours to decrypt. Many of them would be better off just downloading on release :D

Deleted member 182079

D
I only got a 5.7GB update earlier (after the usual 300MB Steam bit) - am I missing something? Or does this only apply when completely re-installing the game?

I am looking forward to trying out the revamped turboprop stuff, general and aircraft specific. I was not impressed with the TP modelling before and since that is my main area of interest in flight sims it was a bit of a pain.

While I like turboprops, often I feel like they are a bit purposeless to me. Not quick enough for long range IFR flights, but too big for sightseeing. Caravan has good visibility, but for some reaon it has a giant black box on the roof when inside which breaks my immersion. :)

Especially valid for the TBM. I love the shape of the plane, but then again I rather fly the CJ4 or the Longitude.

For turboprops (or any non-airliner), plan a route across a region/area, a bit like a bush tour without the formality. Pic your airports/strips and do it in legs of about 50-150nm. Choose VFR/IFR as appropriate.

When we had a group on FSX we started a world tour from UK and headed up and across to Iceland, Greenland, Canada, and down into the USA. We flew as a group and that can help...

Have an update installing now, should be done by Tuesday on my 5 MPs internet. Funny the update is 79G and there is a message telling me they “optomiized” the game so its only 83G now. oh well. Hope the changes are worthwhile, don’t play this a lot but think it is amazing in VR.

For turboprops (or any non-airliner), plan a route across a region/area, a bit like a bush tour without the formality. ........

I actually fly (in the sim of course) real-world TP routes - for preference the Widerøe routes in Scandinavia and the Loganair routes. Of course I can't emulate these in MSFS since there is no Dash, Saab 340, Twotter, etc so far - So my main sim flying is still in the older simulators. MSFS for me is limited to GA flying at the moment until the addons mature.

I used to fly in VAs (ran one for a while) but don't any more.

Last edited:
Could someone whose never flown before IRL or even played a flight sim of this Magnitude be into this? I would mainly play it in VR.

Side note, could I even run it in VR at beautiful settings?

i5 9600k, RTX 2070, 16gb RAM.

Thanks!

Could someone whose never flown before IRL or even played a flight sim of this Magnitude be into this? I would mainly play it in VR.

Side note, could I even run it in VR at beautiful settings?

i5 9600k, RTX 2070, 16gb RAM.

Thanks!

I'll have to let one of the VR aficionados comment on that, I can't deal with VR at all.

However, in general, yes a complete tyro can jump into MSFS (once it has downloaded) and learn how to fly a sim aircraft very easily. The easiest difficulty setting looks very forgiving to me and the provision of AI co-pilot helps you a lot in managing your aircraft and flight.

There are loads of instructional videos out there too and actually if you want to learn the real gen, all the real-world handbooks from basic airmanship to the most up-to-date glass-cockpits are available free online.

There is no doubt the sim looks impressive and it is getting more and more refined as it develops. Be aware though, if you get hooked it can be pricey - addons can cost from £10 to £50 and there are lots of tempting offerings (and will be loads more). You don't need to buy any though, the sim is comprehensive as is.

(Makes people moaning about the cost of Oddity expansion look like penny-pinchers. ;) )

Top Bottom