Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

If I have time during the week, I have plans for testing all sorts of hardware.
Right now, I've got i5-4460, R5 1500X, R5 3600 and R7 3700X processors as well as GTX-1060, RX-580, Vega 56, RX5700XT and RTX 2080Ti at home.
And naturally a whole bouquet of different RAM sticks and other accessories.
(Basically I've built four gaming rigs in last seven years or so and I've kept all the hardware. :LOL:)

If I'm not too busy, I'm planning to try it all and although I should probably shut up about the game itself (their NDA scares me a little), I think I can report on how THIS experiment goes.

Given the broad audience, I hope it will feature a flight school.
I'm pretty sure there will be an 'arcade' mode, but my intention is to go the hard way and learn how to fly.

I assume at this moment the alpha build is bare-bone, featuring only the core flight/graphics related stuff so those can be ironed out.

Given the broad audience, I hope it will feature a flight school.
I'm pretty sure there will be an 'arcade' mode, but my intention is to go the hard way and learn how to fly.

I assume at this moment the alpha build is bare-bone, featuring only the core flight/graphics related stuff so those can be ironed out.
Yes, there is a flight school. (It's not active in the Alpha, but the button is there in the main menu)
As for the flight, physics, aircraft systems, etc. you can set up your "difficulty" to a staggering degree.

Is there any kind of structured gameplay (something like "Euro Truck Simulator", or "Take On Helicopters", or even the old "Microsoft Flight!") or it's still just "select an airport, a plane and fly"?

Indeed, there was even some vacancies on their recruitment page for "mission designers"...
It would be great if the MFS had a mission system. Even if it was as crude as simple delivery missions. Any reason to fly from place to place.
There is an "challenge mission" in the alpha that has somewhat profound ranking system (it judges your approach, rate of descent and landing Gs and smoothness) so there's hope it will be incorporated into something like mission system (For example something like delivering a fragile cargo and avoiding turbulence)
There's certainly a place for these things and the devs themselves said they want to make something "more than JUST a flight sim"

Last edited:
Is there any kind of structured gameplay (something like "Euro Truck Simulator", or "Take On Helicopters", or even the old "Microsoft Flight!") or it's still just "select an airport, a plane and fly"?

I'm hoping Flight Sim Economy (FSE) is updated to work with the new MFS:

With that I wouldn't need any mission system in the sim. I've flown for over ten years now in FSE with both FSX and P3D and its been fantastic fun.

Mission system, some sort of persistent economy even would be a fantastic addition and to be honest major selling point at least for me. I`m pretty sure it will boost interest in trying flightsimming for many folks.

Frontier's response to latest Flight Sim Video about airports and airport vehicles:

ed.jpg

In anticipation of the game, I decided to learn the basics so that I don't need to start from scratch once MSFS 2020 'lands'.
I figured FSX is the best option to do so, but I just found that there is a so-called 'Beginners Class MS Flight Simulator' - but haven't found much about it.

I literally only need a training platform to learn the basics to fly a light prop plane - I expect the learning curve to be long and tough anyway.
What is your recommendation?

Yesterday I did a training session with DSC P51D Mustang, it was amazing, shame the Oculus touch controls are so dodgy! :)

I think that's just a 'beginners class' for the existing MSFS product - a series of videos or something. FSX is very dated, but if all you want is to learn the basics, and can't wait for MSFS 2020, it is at least cheap on Steam. An alternative would be Flightgear, which is even older than FSX, but free. I've never tried it myself, so I can't really recommend it though.
https://www.flightgear.org/about/

In anticipation of the game, I decided to learn the basics so that I don't need to start from scratch once MSFS 2020 'lands'.
I figured FSX is the best option to do so, but I just found that there is a so-called 'Beginners Class MS Flight Simulator' - but haven't found much about it.

I literally only need a training platform to learn the basics to fly a light prop plane - I expect the learning curve to be long and tough anyway.
What is your recommendation?

Yesterday I did a training session with DSC P51D Mustang, it was amazing, shame the Oculus touch controls are so dodgy! :)
For small GA aircraft (Cessnas, Piper Cub and other STOL, etc.) You really don't need much training when comes to cockpit operations. They aren't much harder to operate than a car and it's going to take you maybe 10 minutes to find out where the switches are and what do they do.
A Cub in particular is literally just magnetos, the ignition key and a couple of light switches. :)

So if you're going to buy an FSX just for that, I don't think it's necessary. On the other hand, I don't believe the MFS 2020 is actually coming this year. It simply doesn't feel that close to being finished, although it's true that the playable Alpha built is months older than what they are showing in the videos so they probably are more progressed than we may think, but I still think the most we're going to get this year is maybe an open Beta in the autumn or so. So you might as well buy the FSX simply to enjoy it and have something to do instead of just waiting.

I figured FSX is the best option to do so

FSX is one of the cheapest options to do so, you can get it for almost nothing during sales. Imho the 'best' option currently is X-Plane 11, but that one will set you back a fair bit, so if all you're after is some placeholder until FS2020, FSX is probably your best bet. Was going to give a mention to the free P51 in DCS too but you've found it already.

If you don't mind some rough edges, the open source FlightGear is a good option too, and totally free.

37,000 airports edited manually! Wonder how many hours per airport and how many people working on just this for how long? 😲
From the tools they've shown in the video it looks like the process is still partially automated, but yes, it is an amazing number. Even if editing one airport took just an hour, it means 37k man-hours. That's what? 2 months for a team of 100 people? Half a year for 30 people spent just on editing damn airports. :LOL:

Top Bottom