Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

What kind of bandwidth are you thinking it'll require? I'm moving in the spring to an area where I'll be lucky to have modest microwave dish internet. And I want this sim so bad!
I've read on the forum from one of the testers that they have a 20Mb down/10Mb up link and everything works fine.
I think the game works on a tile-based pre-load (it downloads the terrain around you in advance) so theoretically, at least in small and slow aircraft the bandwidth requirements should be really low.
I would be surprised if the continuous downstream was anything more than a couple hundred kb/s. Kind of like Elite in Solo mode. They can't afford to make it too demanding.
Now multiplayer could be a whole another can of worms..

I've read on the forum from one of the testers that they have a 20Mb down/10Mb up link and everything works fine.
I think the game works on a tile-based pre-load (it downloads the terrain around you in advance) so theoretically, at least in small and slow aircraft the bandwidth requirements should be really low.
I would be surprised if the continuous downstream was anything more than a couple hundred kb/s. Kind of like Elite in Solo mode. They can't afford to make it too demanding.
Fingers crossed!

So the SR-71 might require Fiber 😅

Microsoft haven't said anything about pricing models yet, but given the sat images stream from the cloud I'd wager there will also be some kind of subscription service with MFS too. It might just be the Xbox Gamepass subscription honestly, which currently costs $5/mo for PC, so $60 per year.

I'm hoping it isn't that expensive, as thats essentially buying the game anew every year. Sure you'd get a lot of other games with that subscription but I only want MFS.

We'll find out later this year in any case. I'm a huge aviation enthusiast so I'll be buying it no matter what it costs. Prepare3D has cost me more than that over the past few years so whatever, lol.

I am also pretty sure that this sim is a pretty important IP for Microsoft and they will leverage it to somehow tie into their ecosystem - at the very least it will be MS Store exclusive.
And yes, I am also pretty close to pay 'whatever it takes' to get into it.

I am a bit worried about the learning curve, I do really hope the thing will include a complete course how to fly. I am actually interested to take the difficult route even though there will be surely an arcade mode.

I probably won't be driving anything faster than a 172, so bandwidth won't be the problem...

I have 7-800 mb/s download, so I'm good.
Why do you prefer slow planes? If I recall correctly, IRL you are a military pilot... right?

This development snapshot poses an interesting question about campaign/game progression, implying that there will actually be something. Thoughts?
1578670511_microsoft_flight_simulator_feedback_snapshot_1.01.jpg

I am also pretty sure that this sim is a pretty important IP for Microsoft and they will leverage it to somehow tie into their ecosystem - at the very least it will be MS Store exclusive.
And yes, I am also pretty close to pay 'whatever it takes' to get into it.

I am a bit worried about the learning curve, I do really hope the thing will include a complete course how to fly. I am actually interested to take the difficult route even though there will be surely an arcade mode.

I have 7-800 mb/s download, so I'm good.
Why do you prefer slow planes? If I recall correctly, IRL you are a military pilot... right?
Yes, but I like just buzzing around VFR. :)

I heard a rumor that on top of a planned single shard mmo world, there's also going to be military jet fighters/bombers with fully enabled PvP. Sounds pretty awesome tbh.

It sounds too good to be true. Either it will be the most expensive purchase on MS Store ever or the fidelity will be rather shallow. They tried "more accessible" flight sim with Microsoft flight tho and it failed rather quickly. Quickly after Dovetail made a eye candy platform on FSX Flight Sim World aiming to more broad audience and... it failed instantly.
Right now there is Prepar3d, Xplane 11 for more advanced users and Aerofly, FSX Steam for more casual folks. I hope MS will be successful with this new sim but.... ehhhh. I`m worried as usual ;)

It sounds too good to be true. Either it will be the most expensive purchase on MS Store ever or the fidelity will be rather shallow. They tried "more accessible" flight sim with Microsoft flight tho and it failed rather quickly. Quickly after Dovetail made a eye candy platform on FSX Flight Sim World aiming to more broad audience and... it failed instantly.
Right now there is Prepar3d, Xplane 11 for more advanced users and Aerofly, FSX Steam for more casual folks. I hope MS will be successful with this new sim but.... ehhhh. I`m worried as usual ;)
For the record I was just joking with Navigarre about the PvP:)
It's easily my most anticipated game by a long shot, but I'm nervous as hell. Chief among my concerns is that I'm moving to a piece of property next spring that at best will rely on a microwave tower for Internet, and might even have it's view partially blocked by mountains, so sweating bullets about that. As far as pricing goes, it almost certainly will be subscription based.

The new MFS is going to be outstanding for VFR and bush flying.
Yeah, can't wait to fly out of Anchorage and up to my old stomping grounds on the Yentna River. With the seasonal real time weather modeling flying the Iditarod trail through the wilderness of AK while the race is in progress is going to be mind bending.

Yes, but I like just buzzing around VFR. :)

I'd do both. :)
From what've seen, the landscape will be fantastic at cruising altitude as well. I imagined flying around in a 747 to major airports, then discover the area by a smaller plane - endless roleplaying possibilities :)

If I were you I'd fly to some of the most difficult airports to land at. :)

Edit: what were you/are you flying?

Yeah, can't wait to fly out of Anchorage and up to my old stomping grounds on the Yentna River. With the seasonal real time weather modeling flying the Iditarod trail through the wilderness of AK while the race is in progress is going to be mind bending.

Me too, I am looking forward to trace back many of my backpacking travels from 10+ years. I'll never forget some of the spectacular landings at the Cook Islands and the Faroes, for example.

From what've seen, the landscape will be fantastic at cruising altitude as well. I imagined flying around in a 747 to major airports, then discover the area by a smaller plane - endless roleplaying possibilities :)

Me too, I am looking forward to trace back many of my backpacking travels from 10+ years. I'll never forget some of the spectacular landings at the Cook Islands and the Faroes, for example.
When you factor in the real time weather, seasons and VFR, it's stunning to think what a learning tool this will be, besides just a fun and diverting game. Imagine being able to fly over parts of the world you've been in your life, or more importantly places you'll never get a chance to go, and not only see what they look like from the air but also experience their weather in real time? Setting aside my criticisms of video gaming and children earlier, this is one piece of software that I think is going to be crucial to get in the hands of our kids as a educational opportunity.

Edit: what were you/are you flying?

Yes, short fields are going to be fun. So many of them have disappeared in the US, though.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Looks like anyone with less than 32 gigs of ram isn't getting into the tech alphas.
I upgraded my system awhile back specifically for this game, but I only picked up 16 gigs. Cruel, cruel universe....

Top Bottom