Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

Four minutes from pressing a key to getting the main menu. A little over a minute to load a flight.

Never timed it before, so no idea how much faster if at all it is, but I hope they keep working on speeding these load times up...

Now that live weather is finally working, and spectacular harsh weathers are now much more common, it's time for me to start avoiding choosing airplanes without de-icing systems when flying in Kamchatka and very cold places in general...

While the effect is undoubtly cool (and potentially catastrophic), I feel that the speed at which the airplane turns into a Cornetto once you fly through a cloud in cold weather might be a tad overdone... Regardless of that, playing with live weather now produces amazingly gorgeous visual results.

Just learned that an airport can refuse you VFR landing if the weather conditions are bad (in this case was heavy fog), only allowed IFR. This game keeps getting richer and richer :)

Icing and other weather effects were working for me as intended, wind was however almost 225/3.

Now wind is fixed, but only for the first flight. Secod flight still broken.

Lot of fixes, but also a very disturbing new bug on B58: Its avionics is randomly turning off mid-flight. :D

So far so good, much faster patch download time, much faster loading, no need for "glass instrument" refresh rate fps fix, still stable fps.

It's going to take me even longer to update this sim if the updater keeps crashing and losing all my download progress......

GRRRRR!!!!

It's going to take me even longer to update this sim if the updater keeps crashing and losing all my download progress......

GRRRRR!!!!

Mine didn't crash, but it did spent quite a while re-downloading the same things over and over and over again, then resetting itself back a bit. Took much longer than it needed to I think. It's patched, but didn't have time to play last night... hopefully get a bit of time over the weekend to play.

Mine didn't crash, but it did spent quite a while re-downloading the same things over and over and over again, then resetting itself back a bit. Took much longer than it needed to I think. It's patched, but didn't have time to play last night... hopefully get a bit of time over the weekend to play.
I learned the hard way that I pretty much need to dedicate my computer to the download process and not use it for anything else while it's happening. In fact, I probably should close this browser!

Is this normal? It's been stuck at 16% and apparently isn't actually downloading anything based on bandwidth use.. Do I have to restart this process AGAIN?

EDIT

I had to restart AGAIN, stupid rubbish updater makes ED look like a software engineering masterpiece... Oh how I wish MSFS used Steam's update mechanism rather than its own.... :(

Attachments

• stuck.png
    stuck.png
    219 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
Is this normal? It's been stuck at 16% and apparently isn't actually downloading anything based on bandwidth use.. Do I have to restart this process AGAIN?
I'm currently downloading and am past that already... although having said that, I have the Super Duper Deluxe version and my download size is 15GB... so maybe I'm still behind you... so far it's been going ok-ish, 3GB in about 10-15 minutes.

Edit: @9GB now, going smoothly. Issue seems to be on your end by the looks of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any concensus on whether Steam or MS or other (?) is the best platform for buying and owning the game and getting updates? Or does it not matter?

I've still not got the game and think I may give it another couple of patches before I do.

Deleted member 182079

D
Is there any concensus on whether Steam or MS or other (?) is the best platform for buying and owning the game and getting updates? Or does it not matter?

I've still not got the game and think I may give it another couple of patches before I do.
Don't think it matters much, although I had mixed experiences with the MS store (for the Forza games I own I had no other choice, other than that I prefer Steam all the way).

I bought my FS copy on Steam, but the install process goes through the MSFS client instead, which I found rather disappointing. But if you don't have an account with any other site and don't want to sign up for one, I reckon it makes sense to stick to Steam.

Doesn't matter for updates. Steam is nearly always preferable because the download servers FLY, but the game itself is only about 1GB so patches to that are very small. The rest of the updating / download (i.e. the majority of it) happens in-game using Microsoft's rather flaky update system. 🤷‍♀️

Where Steam might come into its own is when VR support is added. But if you have a £1 Xbox Game pass, you can play it now through their launcher.

I'm currently downloading and am past that already... although having said that, I have the Super Duper Deluxe version and my download size is 15GB... so maybe I'm still behind you... so far it's been going ok-ish, 3GB in about 10-15 minutes.

Edit: @9GB now, going smoothly. Issue seems to be on your end by the looks of it.

I think it's mostly a matter of luck... I also got the 15GB download, and mine started very slow then got stuck at around 30-something percent, then restarted and downloaded ok but slow even though I have 500mb/s fiber connection. But others have reported good patch download speeds, so who knows what's actually going on? :)

I do wish Microsoft just used Steam for applying all updates, it would have pulled those 15GB in just a few minutes...

Deleted member 182079

D
I think it's mostly a matter of luck... I also got the 15GB download, and mine started very slow then got stuck at around 30-something percent, then restarted and downloaded ok but slow even though I have 500mb/s fiber connection. But others have reported good patch download speeds, so who knows what's actually going on? :)

I do wish Microsoft just used Steam for applying all updates, it would have pulled those 15GB in just a few minutes...
Agreed, Steam rocks.

Mine is done fwiw, I left my PC unattended for a while so no idea how long it took, but no more than an hour I think. My connection is ok but could be better - on a good day I see 50Mbit down 30Mbit up, usually it's a fraction of that even though I'm pretty sure I pay for 100Mbit or more (not that I will ever actually get that).

Don't know if this was from the patch (didn't see a relevant patchnote) or that I simply didn't notice before, but checklists are now really useful and cover the whole flight from starting the plane to shutting it down.

And particularly useful to (a non pilot like) me are the listed / recommended airspeeds for take off, climb and landing approach. :)

Top Bottom