Mining: Great Job FD!

• Thread starter Deleted member 115407
  • Start date

Deleted member 115407

D
And a big question for all the core miners out there: Did you guys figure a good strategy for what charge of the seismic launcher to use vs the strength of the fissures? I don't know if we should match the strength, or just fire a high yield charge into a low strength fissure to get started with good oompf and then be more careful...

Prior to watching the video, I noticed that fissures had strength levels, but hadn't experimented with them. Even without known how they work, it's pretty easy to get your charges in the optimal yield range. But I will say that now that I do know how they work, it might even be easier.

Per the video, a low charge in a high fissure will underperform, and a high charge in a low fissure will overperform. So by setting your charge in relation to the fissure strength, you can more easily get into the sweet spot without going over or under. And also makes it easier to blow the asteroid without having to plant too many charges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 115407

D
Thanks for sharing that tidbit! I'm terrible at following those videos (also at work, can't even consult them)!
I'm updating the popular guide to mining, stat!

Lance,

Baghui, State: None, Demand 139 full pips...

Benitoite: 193,900
Grandiderite: 254,192

Wasn't able to get the last one for you. The RNG gods were against me tonight. But judging by the rest of them, you can assume they are within 1% of galactic average for now.

My latest haul. Just under 200 limpets, and a very relaxing game session. ~25m credits + Bromellite for that dastardly engineer :) Notice the price on those diamonds $_$. Right next to a system with a whole plethora of pristine rings and hot spots. Unfortunately I can't share the station name, not to compromise my business since I play in open. Who needs will find me :D

tmkBARe.jpg

NAAO8XN.jpg

Deleted member 115407

D
My latest haul. Just under 200 limpets, and a very relaxing game session. ~25m credits + Bromellite for that dastardly engineer :) Notice the price on those diamonds $_$. Right next to a system with a whole plethora of pristine rings and hot spots. Unfortunately I can't share the station name, not to compromise my business since I play in open. Who needs will find me :D

Yep. just hit four in no time.

I need to start testing Major rings and lower.

System seems to lend itself well to ring hopping.

Deleted member 115407

D
OK, check it out...

Mining an ice ring. The ones with cores glow red... this one has Low Temp Diamond core.

ZDeYdoK.jpg

Deleted member 115407

D
Also, I urge more people to get out of drab brown metallic rings and try mining in ice belts. How can you resist the view?

Yep - and this confirms that the new mining really opens up the galaxy for mining. So many rings out there... lots of them pristine that have in the past been ignored for not being metallic.

Get out there and explore the rings people!!!

I've made an observation and would like to ask if anyone has the same experience: Often when you scan the roids, some far away ones can look pretty bright yellow, making you think they could have a core. But when you get closer and scan again, they get darker and duller. Those are the bad ones. The ones with cores keep glowing brightly even when you scan them up close.
What do you guys think?

Deleted member 115407

D
I've made an observation and would like to ask if anyone has the same experience: Often when you scan the roids, some far away ones can look pretty bright yellow, making you think they could have a core. But when you get closer and scan again, they get darker and duller. Those are the bad ones. The ones with cores keep glowing brightly even when you scan them up close.
What do you guys think?

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing.

I'm thinking where I made the mistake was using the prospector as my primary tool.

Now I am using the PWS, and zeroing in on glows that look interesting before firing a prospector.

I tried mining last night.

Dropped in first roid I prospected Fissures!

played for 2 maybe 3 hours (I dont know if all disappeared so quickly!) and that time included buying and outfitting a type 10 for mining (will be swapping to a python I think)

it was unbelievable searching rings listening to lore about the thargoids and guardians blew up 4 roids in about an hour and a half.

Then thought I'd end with a "destroy the turrets" mission in the conda only to have it spawn a pirate attack scenario so I figured if we're going to break one turret why not take down the whole thing!!!

3.3 is the single greatest thing to happen to Elite*

*absolute fact based upon a detailed survey of everyone sitting in my living room right now which is me and a model of R2D2

Yes, the explosion has been long over, I was like on my last 2 nodes, I got dropped to 35% hull for apparently no reason(nothing Im used to anyway), I boosted out and went for a station and made it.

It was an ice asteroid, does being to cold damage you? (awesome effect from being in a blown up chunk of space ice though)

No idea if it's the same thing, but sometimes the asteroids release - what looks like - cloud of unknown gas upon cracking. (I came across the clouds in asteroids that contain Serendibite)

In my case it was normal rocky asteroid. I was in Krait without shields.

Also worth noting:

- Do not fly at full speed and try to release prospector limpets, it would spit out dead prospectors (that's quite important when you are flying smaller ship and cargo space is very limited).

- If you are using collector limpets and are moving at higher speeds at the same time, the limpets will damage your hull (it used to be a bug back in a days, I remember this when FR were trying to refuel another CMDR)

Deleted member 115407

D
I tried mining last night.

Dropped in first roid I prospected Fissures!

played for 2 maybe 3 hours (I dont know if all disappeared so quickly!) and that time included buying and outfitting a type 10 for mining (will be swapping to a python I think)

it was unbelievable searching rings listening to lore about the thargoids and guardians blew up 4 roids in about an hour and a half.

Then thought I'd end with a "destroy the turrets" mission in the conda only to have it spawn a pirate attack scenario so I figured if we're going to break one turret why not take down the whole thing!!!

3.3 is the single greatest thing to happen to Elite*

*absolute fact based upon a detailed survey of everyone sitting in my living room right now which is me and a model of R2D2

That's awesome man!

Deleted member 115407

D
No idea if it's the same thing, but sometimes the asteroids release - what looks like - cloud of unknown gas upon cracking. (I came across the clouds in asteroids that contain Serendibite)

In my case it was normal rocky asteroid. I was in Krait without shields.

Also worth noting:

- Do not fly at full speed and try to release prospector limpets, it would spit out dead prospectors (that's quite important when you are flying smaller ship and cargo space is very limited).

- If you are using collector limpets and are moving at higher speeds at the same time, the limpets will damage your hull (it used to be a bug back in a days, I remember this when FR were trying to refuel another CMDR)

Yeah, especially it seems the larger the hull, the more DOA your limpets are. My T-10 was killing my limpets. I think we should bug report it.

*edit*

I think I may have figured it out.... the PWS glows in a radiant pattern from existing cores. Still testing it. Will let you know.

Just found another LTD core.

This is now going much faster than just hitting every glowing rock.

Prospectors are now quite finicky to use. If while moving fast one moves the ship ever so slightly while firing, they die.

And they are sooooo slow. My pyton outpace them. They should move at 650 m/s like dumbfires. Seriously.

I decided to take 2xA5 prospectors (so, 8 limpets with 9km range) and I find it very nice. Fire away and keep moving.
Check the result of the spam and mine away. Only 3 collectors are more than enought for the low amount of material to collect.

Deleted member 115407

D
Yeah, nailed it with that red glow.... cargo hold at maximum capacity. Now I need to go test the other ring types!

YSInC8A.jpg

Top Bottom