mining is no longer worthwhile?

I fly into a mining area, into a hotspot! i get everything except what's on the hotspot. Got a 200km carpet around the rhodplumsite hotspot yesterday. There was nothing there. If I need rock, I go to a rock mine, not a coal mine. Gave up after 7 hours. Tried several different hotspots and apart from low-temperature diamonds and masses of gold and silver in the rhodplumsite hotspot, nothing suitable. But you can get tritium almost everywhere.

No, it's not the first time I've done this, I was allowed to blow up a meteorite yesterday, but also in the wrong area.

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

I fly into a mining area, into a hotspot! i get everything except what's on the hotspot. Got a 200km carpet around the rhodplumsite hotspot yesterday. There was nothing there. If I need rock, I go to a rock mine, not a coal mine. Gave up after 7 hours. Tried several different hotspots and apart from low-temperature diamonds and masses of gold and silver in the rhodplumsite hotspot, nothing suitable. But you can get tritium almost everywhere.

No, it's not the first time I've done this, I was allowed to blow up a meteorite yesterday, but also in the wrong area.

Likewise, I haven’t bothered with core mining for many months due to the same problem.

PSA This topic is for CORE mining ONLY...

Core mining has allways done less CPH than laser mining anyway....
Cores should be done for FUN only...

Ice core mining Should be ignored, since the ICE ring nuke of june - july 2020...

Mapped Laser mining is still filling 512 cutters in under 30 mins...

I'm talking about laser mining... I only have everything with me for laser, abrasion and core
I'm not sure I understand this, do you mean to say you're talking about all mining in rings?

Got a 200km carpet around the rhodplumsite hotspot yesterday.
Can you help me understand your methods?

Here's mine:

I typically dive into the hotspot anywhere between 2000-1000m from the centre. Aiming to close to the 'centre' of the hotspot is futile. I've landed much further out before and filled my ship with out ever getting into the KM measurements.

If I'm reading yours right, You covered a distance of around 200km, decided it was barren and moved on? That is rather like reading one page, of one book in a library and deciding there is nothing there for you.

I'm not sure I understand this, do you mean to say you're talking about all mining in rings?

Can you help me understand your methods?

Here's mine:

I typically dive into the hotspot anywhere between 2000-1000m from the centre. Aiming to close to the 'centre' of the hotspot is futile. I've landed much further out before and filled my ship with out ever getting into the KM measurements.

If I'm reading yours right, You covered a distance of around 200km, decided it was barren and moved on? That is rather like reading one page, of one book in a library and deciding there is nothing there for you.
I landed 200000m, unfortunately involuntarily from the centre and worked my way to the centre and 4000m out and found nothing, but a bunch of gold, tritium and all kinds of crap. In the meantime, however, it seems to be clear that no deep core asteroids have appeared. there seems to be a problem.

I'm talking about laser mining or is this mineral only found in deep core mining?

Rhodplumsite is core only, no wonder you found none.

The table provided by @Speedcuffs is very useful - which was actually provided by @Para Handy ( oops :) )
Same as the Reddit ED miners page

For every one else rhodplumsite is core only and you need the PWA. PWA is required to narrow down the rocks to non laser class items, core choice rocks still need visual confirmation, once highlighted you still require learning the shape of the core rock to confirm that the high lighted rock is not just sub surface items...

Metallic ring not metal rich is required for GOOD laser mining...
Rocky ring is required for good core mining items...
Changing Planet can be needed not just moving hotspots...

Last edited:
Mapped Laser mining is still filling 512 cutters in under 30 mins...

Assuming you are not bothered by pirates.
And even if you dont - it's still marginally better than Robigo and worse than Massacre missions since it tops to something like 150 millions per hour - including the sale trips and the fact that you can do only short sessions because the 2h asteroid refill timer

Is there a particular map you follow for this speed of mining? Struggling to get near that quick...

Haz res in platinum hotspot - think there si one youtube and it can be found on google and on the forums too

For every one else rhodplumsite is core only and you need the PWA. PWA is required to narrow down the rocks to non laser class items, core choice rocks still need visual confirmation, once highlighted you still require learning the shape of the core rock to confirm that the high lighted rock is not just sub surface items...

Metallic ring not metal rich is required for GOOD laser mining...
Rocky ring is required for good core mining items...
Changing Planet can be needed not just moving hotspots...
Thank you for the advice. Still - PWA ready and at it - 2 asteroids shining - nothing useful. At 200000m no find by laser or deep core....

Top Bottom