Mining SLF

This is one thing that befuddles me about FD. There are quite a few small easy wins they could gain, and as far as i can tell, don't require large effort or tricky technology, that would generate a lot of good will.
I've thought and said this so many times also!
So many small wins could be had by taking existing code and polishing and adding different playability. Instead, over and over, Frontier opts to create some new feature which inevitably ends up half baked.

SLFs are so small that they don't have any cargo capacity, so there would be no prospecting limpets, or fragment gathering. Basically they could only operate as independently moving mining laser, which would be just... worthless.
Have you tried deep core mining ? A fast moving, higly agile pulse wave scanner would be ing huge. Even just that. Plus, I'm sure you could imagine a tech restricted to mining SLFs for "lore reasons" where they use a low power laser or another way of getting vibrations out of an asteroid to determine it's composition. Like an infinite lifetime prospector limpet.

Last edited:
My point was that SLF would not be able to gather fragments. But sure, as more manouverable mining weapon platform it could have some uses.
Problem is - you would need to sacrifice cargo space to fit slf hangar. I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I've never had problems core mining in T10.
I'm honnestly not looking for maximum efficiency when asking for a mining SLF. I'm asking for a fun and engaging time with a friend in a gameplay aspect that has been pretty worthless multiplayer wise so far.

SLFs are so small that they don't have any cargo capacity, so there would be no prospecting limpets, or fragment gathering. Basically they could only operate as independently moving mining laser, which would be just... worthless.
SLF mounted SSDs and SCLs would be decidedly not worthless. Limpets deployed from the mother ship still function while you're in the SLF, as does the cargo space.

Top Bottom