Mix your engines: Fun project for coders

Greetings,

perhaps some elite coders read that. Here is a suggestion, a little program that can be inserted on purpose to tweak your engines sound. Why? I mean come on, when have you listened to the sound of the vulture lately. You did not? I don't blame you. ;)

From a sound designer perspective, this is not too difficult a job to implement. It does not need to be too fancy and too complicted. You can not expect people to know how to use EQ, limiters, etc., but for starters, you could make some tests with the existing engines and thrusters and throw all of them into the mix. Basically you are looking for frequencies low, mid, high, and distortion, hence a way to allow users to mix their heart out to their individual preference. You could allow for some over saturation as well when it comes to thrusters.

.....Ladies and gentleman start your engines... ;)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTPV6hqYbdw

P.S. You could also make a loan from jurassic park audio files, some useful frequencies that could be time stretched and massaged for thrusters. ;)

Can't agree.

For one thing, I really don't think the coders have a lot of free time right now.

But more than that, I like the fact that every ship sounds different. That some of them sound like a moped. That some of them sound like they're going to fall apart. I like the aesthetic of everything not being perfect.

And I'd say that FD like that too. After all, it was a deliberate design decision. The sounds have not come about by accident. Every ship sounds exactly like it was intended to sound.

I agree with Rollo, each ship having their own thruster and boost sound adds to the character of each ship. It would be a shame to make all of the ships sound the same.

I agree with Rollo, each ship having their own thruster and boost sound adds to the character of each ship. It would be a shame to make all of the ships sound the same.

If only the ships had their own unique UI's too, even though if you can change to the standard UI (the current one), it would be nice for letting ship have more character in addition to their sounds...

If only the ships had their own unique UI's too, even though if you can change to the standard UI (the current one), it would be nice for letting ship have more character in addition to their sounds...
I would really like this. Even if each manufacturer had its own UI instead of each ship. Keep the standard UI in deLacy ships, give Gutamaya ships a UI with graceful curved panels, Lakon with a boxy and utilitarian look, etc...

For one thing, I really don't think the coders have a lot of free time right now.
I don't think OP meant that as a project for Frontier's developers, but is hoping for an external tool to allow modding the game audio.

That said, to the OP's question, I don't think an external developer would have the access needed to do this. There certainly aren't any public hooks available to override the sounds coming out of the game engine. Best you could do would be to mute the sound effects (which you can do in audio settings independently of music and voice volume) and have an external program play sounds in response to journal events. You can do that now with existing programs. But since you don't get a journal event every time you boost or fire weapons or whatever, there's no way for such a program to play a replacement boost sound.

Top Bottom