Mod support is needed

What if Fdev enable mod support and nothing else, so the community could add and fix everything is claiming for?

• ship interiors, base building
  • pp & background, galnet
  • lighting, textures
  • alternative lore and deep content
  • reshape grinding and gameplay balancing
  • new tech trees, modules, ships?
  • fauna, lifeforms and aliens
  • human diversity and races, languages, religions...
  • planetary surfaces and biomas
  • any other freak stuff (new stellar corpses, dark matter, pet cats, light sabers, ...)

While the community might be able to address some aspect (shaders/lighting mostly), good luck with anything stellar forge related

At least something would be happening.

Also we'd have 5384 new ships to buy and explore.
Ship interiors
New FPS weapons that don't suxxors.

Ok, most alien life forms would most likely look like some kind of male genitalia but it'd still beat the barren void of the current state.

Nah you don't understand, messing with the Stellar Forge would reset the entire galaxy, everything gone, the whole kit and kaboodle. You would have ship interiors that killed you every time you left your seat because there would be zero network coordination built into them so every time you changed direction half the ship would be in one place and half in another, 5300 ships that were essentially useless because the majority of players can't design a thing even though they think they are great, and millions of OP'd one shot kill weapons because many people think that's what makes great game play.

Don't get me wrong, I have played mods, Desert Combat was my favourite back in the dark ages, but that did take the equivalent of an actual dev studio to produce, most one off mods by individual players were, dare I say, rubbish and were only worthy of running for a few minutes on a private server just to test them! Oh yes, ED doesn't have private servers so all these mods would be out there causing mayhem. MMO's generally don't do player mods, and those that have tried are limited and next to useless for most players.

Nah you don't understand, messing with the Stellar Forge would reset the entire galaxy, everything gone, the whole kit and kaboodle. You would have ship interiors that killed you every time you left your seat because there would be zero network coordination built into them so every time you changed direction half the ship would be in one place and half in another, 5300 ships that were essentially useless because the majority of players can't design a thing even though they think they are great, and millions of OP'd one shot kill weapons because many people think that's what makes great game play.

Don't get me wrong, I have played mods, Desert Combat was my favourite back in the dark ages, but that did take the equivalent of an actual dev studio to produce, most one off mods by individual players were, dare I say, rubbish and were only worthy of running for a few minutes on a private server just to test them! Oh yes, ED doesn't have private servers so all these mods would be out there causing mayhem. MMO's generally don't do player mods, and those that have tried are limited and next to useless for most players.
And even if 5300 out of 5384 are useless, it would still leave 84 useful new ships for players to fly and enjoy. :D

But I know too well what you mean. I like mods myself, looking at the Fallout or TES and X series, heaps out there, ranging from 1 shot weapons to god modes. Of course, those would have to be weeded out by FDev.
But what players could do is to submit mods to Fdev for review.
If approved, it gets added to the game. DLC or just content update.

Ship interiors designed by players, for players!
New aliens, not just genitalia shaped ones.
New paint jobs! Actually good ones, ones players would want to buy.
Weapons... maybe not...
New ships?
Hand crafted missions, not just cookie cutter ones with new numbers.
Ship wrecks to explore. Abandoned cities or lost civilizations.

The player base would be happy to contribute, all FDev had to do is to kick back and watch the players create stuff, things they have not been able to do until now. All they'd have to do is open that door, and see what comes through.

The player base would be happy to contribute, all FDev had to do is to kick back and watch the players create stuff, things they have not been able to do until now. All they'd have to do is open that door, and see what comes through.

I can guarantee 99.9% would be rubbish, leaving FDEV a huge amount of work to weed out what's left? And what about game balance? No, as I said most MMO's don't do this for a good reason, best to leave it for other game types. Sure we might get 3000 new ships, your max storage capacity at a starport is still 40, so then FDEV would have to start updating their own infrastructure to support stuff they put in the game, and bugs? Who is expected to bug fix player produced mods? At least with mods like Desert Combat that ran on private servers it was coded and supported by the modders themselves, once in ED however FDEV would be expected to support the code supplied by the modders because it would be running on a base game that all players are part of. Just not worth the time and effort of FDEV's part!

I can guarantee 99.9% would be rubbish, leaving FDEV a huge amount of work to weed out what's left? And what about game balance? No, as I said most MMO's don't do this for a good reason, best to leave it for other game types. Sure we might get 3000 new ships, your max storage capacity at a starport is still 40, so then FDEV would have to start updating their own infrastructure to support stuff they put in the game, and bugs? Who is expected to bug fix player produced mods? At least with mods like Desert Combat that ran on private servers it was coded and supported by the modders themselves, once in ED however FDEV would be expected to support the code supplied by the modders because it would be running on a base game that all players are part of. Just not worth the time and effort of FDEV's part!
Maybe so, but that 0.1% it would still be 99.9% more content that the player want vs what the player base is currently being served.

I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. At the same time you'd have to acknowledge that the players are telling Fdev what they are looking for, Fdev keeps ignoring 99.9% of it and then wonders why they end up with a massive negative review score on Steam and a heavily annoyed player base.

Works for Roblox!

The mods in Roblox are separate games, they aren't all mixed into one, Roblox is a platform;

Roblox is a global platform where millions of people gather together every day to imagine, create, and share experiences with each other in immersive, user-generated 3D worlds. The types of gameplay on Roblox are just as limitless as the imagination of the creators themselves.

So each individual mod is a separate 3d world, not one world with all the mods mixed in together. So comparing a game to a game "platform" makes no sense at all!

The mods in Roblox are separate games, they aren't all mixed into one, Roblox is a platform;

So each individual mod is a separate 3d world, not one world with all the mods mixed in together. So comparing a game to a game "platform" makes no sense at all!
Mods in multiplayers game have been done for a while. As long as it doesn't affect game mechanic, you don't need to "share a world". You see whatever custom mod you have, but the people you meet will see whatever mod they have (or the vanilla game if they have no mods).
For example, cosmetic. Let's say I mod my game to have a pink hello kitty sidewinder. I play in open and you meet me. You'll see the default sidewinder, I'll see my hello kitty customisation. And if you are also in sidewinder, I'll see your sidewinder in a hello kitty paint.

About all the MMOs use UI mods and tools. WOW, LOTRO, TESO....
Some Multiplayer game also use different modded customisation, like the World of series (world of tanks, warship...). In World of Warship, people have been doing anime voice, captain protrait and camo for a long time. Shell tracers to. And even some UI stuff. It's perfectly allowed and you can find the mod on the official forum.

The reason it's not done is because it would be better (and cheaper) than Arx. Why would I bother to buy a custom voice when I can mod it ?

Now, sure stuff like base building and plant ? Yeah no.

I guess ED universe is common for all players even playing solo but It wouldn't hurt anyone, nor the universe if I could just playlist my mp3 from my krait cockpit because a mod.

Top Bottom