More Huge Hardpoints

Variety is the spice of life, and elite dangerous.

That said, wheres our huge frag cannon? Large and huge missles/mines? Large and huge rails?

It would really blow open loadout options for a lot of ships. And i would really enjoy the variety

You are asking for the option to construct your own balanced spacecraft.

I agree with you, that would be most fascinating and immersive.

Lets go!

I'd like to roll with two huge cannons on my Vette that shoot confetti & glitter. Maybe a huge rainbow generator too. Life in a galaxy with no atmospheres/rainbows inevitably leads to more hostile people.

Last edited:
If everyone can do it, it will balance it self. Nobody forgotten, nobody excluded.

That just means that the optimal choices get used, everything else discarded, which becomes rather dull, rather quickly. If there are no attempts at balance passes, then typically only one or tow of a myriad of options are very superior to others.
In an ideal world, every combat module should be well-utilised and has a place, and that requires efforts at balancing.

Devs have answered it before. Iirc they said it was difficult to balance without the weapons feeling deliberately broken, definitely frags and rails anyway. There's some dev art on torpedoes and missiles out there somewhere, a blueprint type thing. But so far no show.

Not a single player game, cant have unbalanced OP weapons in a multiplayer enviroment.

I fail to see how these cant be balanced. Between powerdraw, heat spread, capacitor draw, cost, and then just the damage numbers themselves. Especially in our defensive meta i dont see these being unbalanced. Even something like a huge railgun. Longer spinup times, longer fire rates, longer reloads, etc.
Can definitely be balanced.

Not a single player game, cant have unbalanced OP weapons in a multiplayer enviroment.

Aside from a handful of hardcore PVPers, no one cares about multiplayer balance in this game. Including FD. If something is unbalanced and may be used both in PVE and PVP, they left it as it is, because PVE takes priority. Hell, they'll even buff it like they did with thermal vent beams in 3.0.

Variety is the spice of life, and elite dangerous.

That said, wheres our huge frag cannon? Large and huge missles/mines? Large and huge rails?

It would really blow open loadout options for a lot of ships. And i would really enjoy the variety

Can we stick a huge hardpoint on the top of a clipper please,so more hulls can carry these weapons?

I'd like to roll with two huge cannons on my Vette that shoot confetti & glitter. Maybe a huge rainbow generator too. Life in a galaxy with no atmospheres/rainbows inevitably leads to more hostile people.

1 Remote Frag Cannon
1 Remote Flechette

There's your confetti and glitter.

Balance balance balance. When the whole game becomes one big numbers juggling act, the result is homogenized garbage.

Bring on the huge weapons! Even though I don't currently have a ship that could ever put them properly to use, I'd love to see them in the game. You just need to think of non-numbers ways to make things interesting, instead of flat upgrades.

For example, huge railguns could actually increase power draw on your reactor as you charge them, meaning that trying to fire a pair all at once would be a gamble. Modules should have to shut down and reboot unless you fire them one at a time. Thruster response should be decreased while charging them, due to reactor spiking, further complicating aiming and requiring even more skill from the user.

A huge frag cannon might push you around from the recoil, for example - like taking an impulse-based hit.

Just random brainstorming. There are ways other than sheer numbers to make heavy-hitting ordnance more difficult - and therefore more interesting and rewarding - to use. Just saying such weapons flat out shouldn't be in the game is a boring concession.

Last edited:
Top Bottom