My first week in open

Hi.

I've always been a PvE player, since I really don't like PvP or combat in general. A lot of the time, I'm not really into player interaction either, but there you go.

Any road up, I decided to have a go at open, so I re-engineered my ICourier - the "SDS Sir Robin" - for reinforced shields and pure speed. Since it was set up for PvE, it was set up for thermal resistance, so that meant a few trips to the supposed gank fest that is Engineers. Oh! and I thought I'd go to Jameson Memorial, just to see how bad it was.

So, first day, I headed to Lei Cheung to get the shields sorted. I was in SC, when I was interdicted by another CMDR in a Chieftain. I've never lost an npc interdiction, but this was another ball game. I submitted, dropped chaff and a heatsink and boosted away at 870m/s. That was the end of that.

Later, I went to Jameson and had a CMDR keep ramming me whilst I was in the docking queue. What a tw*t. I blocked him.

That was on day one. Since then, pretty much nothing. I've seen ui a few hollow squares and triangles, but haven't been bothered in the slightest. I'm currently re-engineering more of my ships for open.

The only problem I've found, is that I sometimes have to switch to solo at an engineers base, cos all the pads are blocked. Apart from that, nothing.

“Stabby Dave”

I’ve always assumed you were a “normally in open” guy with maybe a half dozen PvP kills on your tally.

Engineer something tough and pick a PowerPlay side. Rack up a few kills.

I have faith in you, dude.

Nothing beats that thrill.

Yep, if you avoid the well known hot spots open is pretty safe. The vast majority of commanders in open are friendly. I've been playing for almost 5 years now, always in open, and outside of the hot spots I was attacked ~5 times. So roughly once a year. Also the "heat" inside the hot spots varies a lot from time to time.

98% of the time I play open myself, sure , once a a while I'll get attacked my a trigger happy commander, and yea it is easy to run really although sometimes I stay and fight but no matter what you can play in solo until the cows come home and never feel the rush of blood to the head and increased heartbeat when another commander is trying to blow you back into the tiny space dust from which you came, for me playing in open lends much more excitement to the game, although unexpected huge re-buys can 'suck' I still prefer open, I also enjoy actually seeing other commanders in the game as well.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The only issue I have with playing in Open is that I have to drop into PG/Solo to take hi-res screenshots.

I was actually interdicted and killed by someone last week, for the first time in about 2 years. I wouldn't have minded if there was at least a bit of banter :D 98% of my interactions with other Cmdrs are favourable.

Especially this one above me :p

The only issue I have with playing in Open is that I have to drop into PG/Solo to take hi-res screenshots.

I was actually interdicted and killed by someone last week, for the first time in about 2 years. I wouldn't have minded if there was at least a bit of banter :D 98% of my interactions with other Cmdrs are favourable.

Especially this one above me :p
Oh my, I'm still sorry I ruined your race :eek:
But at least I didn't gank you ;)

Nothing beats that thrill.

I'm not thrill-seaker and do not need daily adrenaline shot to function properly. Im termpted to fly open to see what the player-to-player interaction may bring but then I remind myself that single encounter with i'll willed CMDR will leave me sour for the following days. Good there's Moebius for the freaks like me.

Well done OP, if your virtual spaceship gets blowed up by someone else's virtual spaceship, it ain't the end of the world, imo.

I got ambushed inside a station at the weekend, i honestly thought the game was broken so was just laughing away wtfing as i kept spinning around at random points (being rammed, i was only in an mat gathering DBX).

They did a good job, i only realised too late what was happening, so i died. I guess he got smoked by the station because when i appeared on the naughty step ship (pad blocking, ha!) he appeared there as well.

He starting blasting away at me immediatly regardless of the no fire zone, i only have one small pulse on the DBX for guardian key grabbing, so i just left him standing and high waked away.

Weirdly i enjoy such things, it's Elite: Dangerous remember, not Elite: You are not allowed to shoot me you big meanie😭😭#ragequit/petition

o7

I don't much care for pvp, so the solution is simple--just play in PG or solo when hitting popular areas.

I forgot and landed my mining cutter at a busy station in open (high price for painite, dont'cha know), probably 8-12 other commanders there, and wow, between the teleporting ships and ships literally bouncing in the slot I thought for sure I'd need a degree in quantum mechanics to land there without a rebuy. So, yeah, another reason to avoid heavily populated instances, unfortunately. I don't envy the PVPers who have to deal with that regularly.

Deleted member 182079

D
The solution to griefing has already been implemented I believe - with the current state of instancing in general it's hard enough to instance with anyone, let alone a griefer.

And even if you do, chances are that the wobbly jerkiness of rubberbanding hell makes aiming for those griefers a nightmare.

Open has never been so safe before! \o/

• Like (+1)
Reactions: A D
Hi.

I've always been a PvE player, since I really don't like PvP or combat in general. A lot of the time, I'm not really into player interaction either, but there you go.

Any road up, I decided to have a go at open, so I re-engineered my ICourier - the "SDS Sir Robin" - for reinforced shields and pure speed. Since it was set up for PvE, it was set up for thermal resistance, so that meant a few trips to the supposed gank fest that is Engineers. Oh! and I thought I'd go to Jameson Memorial, just to see how bad it was.

So, first day, I headed to Lei Cheung to get the shields sorted. I was in SC, when I was interdicted by another CMDR in a Chieftain. I've never lost an npc interdiction, but this was another ball game. I submitted, dropped chaff and a heatsink and boosted away at 870m/s. That was the end of that.

Later, I went to Jameson and had a CMDR keep ramming me whilst I was in the docking queue. What a tw*t. I blocked him.

That was on day one. Since then, pretty much nothing. I've seen ui a few hollow squares and triangles, but haven't been bothered in the slightest. I'm currently re-engineering more of my ships for open.

The only problem I've found, is that I sometimes have to switch to solo at an engineers base, cos all the pads are blocked. Apart from that, nothing.

There are a number of go-to ways to make yourself gank-proof. Speed is one of them. A tiny, ultra-speed courier with chaff is pretty much untouchable. There are a few other ways, but depending on your ship some basic planning and awareness means you never have to worry about griefers again. And if they do attack its kinda fun to see if your little contingency plan works. :)

Besides, even if you were somehow at some point killed, whats the insurance on your iCourier and how long do you have to play to get that back? Griefing is a non-issue. :)

The solution to griefing has already been implemented I believe - with the current state of instancing in general it's hard enough to instance with anyone, let alone a griefer.

And even if you do, chances are that the wobbly jerkiness of rubberbanding hell makes aiming for those griefers a nightmare.

Open has never been so safe before! \o/
Unfortunatly Griefers are seldomly solo en route. A whole gang of those increases the chance to hit the Lucky Punch and sending you back home via the express route

Top Bottom