Need some guidance from our great community.

Greetings CMDR's,

I need some guidance. I have been sailing the stars for over 200 hours (combined from all platforms) and I am going to try something new. I have decided on a course of action, but I am at a loss on how to start. I have decided to try my hand at mining, I have already purchased a small freighter style vessel (the Keelback) to start off this endeavor. Now I must grind out the outfitting to do so. What I would like your help on is the proper or at least the safest way to outfit this ship for mining. I do currently have an AspX that I have outfitted well for standard missions, so I won’t have an issue with coming up with the credits to outfit this ship properly. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
CMDR Chaos2780

Question is - what type of mining?
The money nowadays is in laser mining for Platinum - but as with a lot of lucrative jobs, that's also boring. The issue with the Keelback is that she only has 4 hardpoits, so in order to equip her for everything mining, you will have to compromise on laser mining efficiency (i.e. only one mining laser). The second issue is the power distributor.

Here's a build (from a long time ago) I once set up for everything mining:

Nowadays, I'd replace the prospector controller with a 3C mining controller, potentially even freeing up that size 2 slot of the prospector controller. If you intend on focussing on laser mining, you can replace the seismic launcher with a second mining laser and simply pick up surface and subsurface deposits in passing. You might then even skip the PWA - that one is basically only required for core mining.
The loadout assumes you have grade 5 access to all relevant engineers - if not, please tell us what kind of engineering you can have done.
In any case, the Keelback is not big enough to also provide defensive capabilites in parallel to mining setup. You may have a chance at running, but not encountering any pirates while having anything valuable in your hold would be the primary strategy.

Do you have enough credits to consider a Python instead
.... and simply pick up surface and subsurface deposits in passing. You might then even skip the PWA - that one is basically only required for core mining.

However the PWA is required to reveal those deposits isn't it?

Last edited:
Strictly speaking yes - but I don't know of anyone who uses the PWA to scan for (sub) surface deposits. You scan for cores, you pick up deposits if you happen to find them in passing (e.g. from the prospector limpet analysis).

Yeah, very true, I only mentioned it as you said they could "...pick up surface and subsurface deposits in passing". Since they were new to mining I thought it worth clarifying is all as unless a 'roid is prospected you can't tell. (Well, I can't. ;) )

Last edited:
just remember to hold the button in when drilling for subies ;)
wasted a lot figuring that out first time and that power needs setting to weapons.

I have already purchased a small freighter style vessel (the Keelback) to start off this endeavor. Now I must grind out the outfitting to do so. What I would like your help on is the proper or at least the safest way to outfit this ship for mining.
Laser mining.

Here's a basic outfit for doing it in the Keelback.

Make sure you mine in spots you find when you scan. Never mine in a resource extraction spot. Use this to find hotspots for platinum near you.

When you get there, scan the rings with the scanner and the hot spots will show up for you. Go to them and when you first get there, look around for any ships. Typically, there are none. If there are just wait for them to scan you before you do anything. They'll find nothing and move on.

Then you're free to mine until you're full and go sell it.

Good luck.

Edit to add: make sure to adjust your pips to full weapons power as you mine.

Last edited:
Laser mining.

Here's a basic outfit for doing it in the Keelback.

Make sure you mine in spots you find when you scan. Never mine in a resource extraction spot. Use this to find hotspots for platinum near you.

When you get there, scan the rings with the scanner and the hot spots will show up for you. Go to them and when you first get there, look around for any ships. Typically, there are none. If there are just wait for them to scan you before you do anything. They'll find nothing and move on.

Then you're free to mine until you're full and go sell it.

Good luck.

Edit to add: make sure to adjust your pips to full weapons power as you mine.
A comment on that loadout, if I may:
  • if you have the funds, replace the 3A collector controller with a 3C mining controller. That'll get you 4 collector limpets
  • replace the 1A collector controller with a 1A prospector controller (better range than using the mining controller's prospector limpets)
  • replace the 1C refinery with a 2A refinery. You can actually store more inside the refinery bins (6 tons) than in a corresponding size cargo rack (4 tons). Same would go for the 1 A refinery (4 vs 2).

Getting those funds should be the matter of a single mining session. Keep in mind that those loadouts don't carry a fuel scoop, so you might need to limit the range of your activities and also accept less than maximum payout.
In general, prospecting a rock with a prospector limpet will double (roughly) the amount of stuff you can squeeze out of it.

Top Bottom