New Elite Game Extras Web Store

Hi Alec and others who've been asking or wondering this!

Just wanted to confirm that there are no plans to re-introduce Paint Job packs at the current time.

That's unfortunate. It would at least be considerate to lower the price of paints which used to be available in packs to a comparable ARX cost of what they used to cost in real world dollars. Frontier has essentially just increased the price of those paints instead.

But then, maybe that was the intention all along?

That last one you don't have to imagine, it's actually happening...
Yes indeed, I much preferred the previous system where my earning potential for free stuff was zilch.

ROAR! shakes fist at dastardly fdev

If you think them adding the ability to earn a paltry amount of ARX is a good thing, I've got a bridge to sell you...

It's a psychological mechanism commonly used in micro transaction games proven to increase sales by manipulating addictive behavior in consumers.

So, that bridge... I originally wanted 10 million for it, but if you act within the next 10 minutes, it's yours for 5 million!

Why would we have fractional ARX in the first place? And what merchant wouldn't round up? It only works in their favor.

But it's nice to see the web store again. Not quite so nice it looks like and is laid out like the Livery, which isn't exactly intuitive. Also glad to have gotten my Sunglasses and Glasses and few other odds and ends when they were $0.00 instead of 20 ARX. It might take me a couple days of exploring to turn up 20 ARX lol

With 1 ARX being $0.000798, previously Free items are valued at $0.01596, or $0.02 rounded up.

There ya go, charts and graphs people, let's see your actual $/hour now.

Frontier is clearly doing NOTHING for their customers, except laying out the one or other money-trap. They play with the addiction, they use every mechanic available to squeeze out their customers, and what do we get for it? No content since 2 years, marketing-blabla and a couple of paid forum posters.

For me it feels like Braben personally beats everyone in the face that has founded this product via Kickstarter.

Yup OK - looks like the old packs were a bit of a bargain (i.e. 6 paintjobs for the price of 3 or 4). I guess the issue here is simply that packs aren't currently available (as far as I can see - I thought I'd seen them but maybe I imagined it?). Unsurprisingly, buying 6 individual paint packs costs more than buying a single pack with all six in it so those people like yourself who liked having the entire pack are currently at a disadvantage. That's probably a good question for Frontier - @Will Flanagan any word on whether paint packs (e.g. such as the "tactical" pack containing all six colour variants) will be making a return any time soon?
"Yup OK - looks like the old packs were a bit of a bargain". From this, I can only surmise, that you work for F.D.

So, F.D. are saying: Yes, items are more expensive now; because we forgot to tell you, that we have been selling all these things, at a discount. Except, when we are claiming that they have been discounted; which is basically a reduced price, on already discounted goods.

Stating that inflation, or new administration costs, have bumped up the prices, would have been better.

Deleted member 182079

D
Price aside, I do remember people complaining about the paks, specifically that they couldn't buy the individual paints.
Why not have both though? It doesn't make commercial sense to remove them. Unless adding them will crash the store again...

except laying out the one or other money-trap. They play with the addiction, they use every mechanic available to squeeze out their customers...

Can you do me a favour and not speak about me and other players as if we're raving addicts with no self control? I can't say that I've ever found myself going short of food or missing paying my rent so that I can buy imaginary paint for my imaginary spaceships.

If you have, I offer my sympathy and would suggest that engaging with some form of counselling may be helpful.

Note - no Stockholm syndrome here by the way, it's impossible to sympathise/empathise with your captors when you're not actually a captive to begin with.

I fail to see what's so weird about noting that the "6 paintjobs for the price of 4" deal we used to get by buying paintjobs in packs was "a bit of a bargain". It was, pretty much by definition ... a bit of a bargain.

But then again I'm no longer surprised by anything that people on this forum seem to be able to twist into a negative.

Deleted member 182079

D
I fail to see what's so weird about noting that the "6 paintjobs for the price of 4" deal we used to get by buying paintjobs in packs was "a bit of a bargain". It was, pretty much by definition ... a bit of a bargain.

But then again I'm no longer surprised by anything that people on this forum seem to be able to twist into a negative.
Well... Compared to current prices (of some paints, not so much some others namely tactical vibrant military paints which are cheaper now) maybe, but compare to other games' MT/DLC offerings and the packs of ye olde days were anything but a bargain. I bought quite a few of them, but never felt they were particularly good value. Beggars can't be choosers though so I just accepted them in lieu of alternatives.

The packs, may well have been a bargain. Logically. That was why they were sold, in packs, e.g. multiple items sold together at a discount. That said. The contents of said packs, could not be brought individually and so for some; it was an expensive way to buy a single desired paint job.

However: Today, taking the whole contents of the store and comparing the cost, with pre ARX prices. You will find that F.D. will be getting more cash. Simply on the grounds, that you need to buy more ARX, than you need, to get the items, you want.

As far as F.D. is concerned. That is not a negative thing; that is a positive thing.

@frontier: Can you please show the prices in Euro, too?

Yes.
They will have to do that if they want to sell anything to me.
I got a mail today, went to the store, saw a few good looking new paintjobs, but saw only these meaningless arx numbers, and I retreated in disgust.
I think my Elite spending days might definitely be over.

Why not allow real money spending in the web store?
I will NOT buy fake currency packs. I will NEVER buy more arx than I need, to be able to buy a paint job.

As a fix to the display issue, all listed fractional prices will be rounded up. So, that Extraterrestrial Brain Tree Plant I mentioned? That will be listed as 4838 instead of 4837.5. I've corrected my initial message to avoid any confusion.
Hi @Will Flanagan, it's wonderful to see community managers and anyone from FDEV to reply in the Dangerous Discussion sub-forum.
Would it be possible to have a feedback to these threads as well please?

Interesting. The number looks really big doesnt it? Giving the impression of great expense. Another quality design :)

I realize it might be me. I think I am too old to adapt to these new times.
When I go to the new arx store I only feel incredibly annoyed.
At a minimum they should also display the real world price.
But even then... Having to buy these cursed arx packs that are never the exact amount I need to buy the paintjob I want... it irritates me to no end.
I feel cheated. It is a very negative experience for me. And I avoid negative experiences.

Interesting. The number looks really big doesnt it? Giving the impression of great expense. Another quality design :)

Yeah, indeed.
Pre 3.5 seeing a Crypsis paint costs 200 Frontier Points seemed quite out of the place since a pack was 300 Frontier points, but if you really wanted that special paint, 200 FP didn't seem much
Now paying 3250 ARX on it seem even more expensive... even it actually isn't

Top Bottom