New Oculus Owner - First impressions

For those that are hovering over the purchase button, be aware the Oculus compatibility test is a guideline that looks up your specs and compares it to a minimum recommended spec database.. It doesn't actually test your computer. Some part of your machine could be close and fail. My old 2550k and usb 2 failed but ran the Riftfine, as an example. The Steam VR performance test will test your gpu/cpu and overall rig's performance , but it doesn't test usb. Even though ED recommends a gtx 980 many have played with less (gtx 970 as an example is the min for VR in general) with some reduction of graphics settings. Usb 3.0 is recommended for multiple sensors, but Oculus ships a 3.0 cable with the 3rd sensor so that the usb bus isn't flooded. The main key in regards to usb is to have a good (recommended) controller on board or add in and to spread the Rift and sensor(s) over multiple ports (hubs) for the optimum performance. One can get away with a slightly under spec setup if the overall rig is close. A really good indicator is the VRMark Orange Room benchmark which shows the Oculus minimum for VR in it's online results. It will also show your fps during the test.The Oculus test as not carved in stone. A fail there doesn't me you can't succeed, but the Rift will nag you about the weakness each time you don the hmd until your parts are up to their minimum. I would run all 3 tests.

Good advice for those with a borderline PC!

My main problems were although my Z170 board has all gamer spec USB 3 and the power boost option with dedicated power to USB, it kept disconnecting my Rift receivers connection for a split second randomly. This causes the game to bug out, meaning you need to close it or in the worst case combat log to get it back.

Having bought the USB 3 card specified by Oculus support, I can say my experience has improved so much.

cant believe the fix to months of problems was a £15 card.

My PC is high spec but as the graphics card is only a top end GTX970 apparently the game shouldn't play with ultra setting, but it does, happily.

The only slow downs I get are instance related to other players, and once when there were about 20 NPC ships with me.

My main problems were although my Z170 board has all gamer spec USB 3 and the power boost option with dedicated power to USB, it kept disconnecting my Rift receivers connection for a split second randomly. This causes the game to bug out, meaning you need to close it or in the worst case combat log to get it back.
QUOTE]

Similar behavior has been attributed to Windows power mgmt. Turning off power mgmt. for each usb hub, controller and each Rift sensor in (device manager) seems to resolve by unticking "allow windows to turn off this device to save power" for each. This keeps PM from disrupting tracking. Might be what caused your "bug out"

Last edited:
Similar behavior has been attributed to Windows power mgmt. Turning off power mgmt. for each usb hub, controller and each Rift sensor in (device manager) seems to resolve by unticking "allow windows to turn off this device to save power" for each. This keeps PM from disrupting tracking. Might be what caused your "bug out"

Like a lot of other users tried this with no improvement, for the first hour or so I thought I'd cracked it.
It appears that although the board manufacturer states dedicated voltage levels to the USB they eaither have thier own board side power control that's independent of the OS,or they just lied, or maybe the Rifts really sensitive.

Like a lot of other users tried this with no improvement, for the first hour or so I thought I'd cracked it.
It appears that although the board manufacturer states dedicated voltage levels to the USB they eaither have thier own board side power control that's independent of the OS,or they just lied, or maybe the Rifts really sensitive.

Rift is definitely more picky with usb. It doesn't like certain usb manufacturers (probably lower quality drivers and such). Certain extender cables don't work and misidentify. Powered hubs are not recommended. When I first installed the Rift on an earlier build that only had usb 2, it work fine, ironically. Both it and my new rig are on Gigabyte boards and neither has given me grief. They use Intel 2 and 3.0 and ASMedia 3.1 controllers.

Last edited:
The Rift uses a crap-ton of bandwidth on the USB bus. The thing to keep in mind is that usually you have 4 USB ports per controller, and the controllers can get saturated, or not supply enough power to all devices simultaneously, or both. Don't plug in the HMD and sensors next to each other, unless you have a card that has independent controllers for each port. Those cards usually start around $80 or so. It's a good investment if you use a Rift.

Some of the newer USB controllers are more sensitive to saturation problems than before. I ran into this when I built my new computer this spring. It had more trouble with tracking issues, USB devices "falling off" (as if they were unplugged), etc, than with my older computer. Oculus tech support didn't even think to suggest it as a problem when I opened a ticket with them. Getting a multi-controller USB card solved all of my issues, 100%.

If you're having tracking issues or other USB problems, spread out the USB plugs, and make sure they're on separate controllers.

Top Bottom