New Planet Tech is KILLER of Exploration (all terrain is tiling/repeating/not procedural/random)

If I had those horizons problems. I have already shown several captures in this thread with repeating patterns.

LOL, you're comparing a few cm square duplicated tiles in Horizons, to whole duplicated plateaus, 100s of kilometres across in Odyssey? Keep clutching at your straws to defend this mess. Thanks for the laugh.:LOL:

LOL, you're comparing a few cm square duplicated tiles in Horizons, to whole duplicated plateaus, 100s of kilometres across in Odyssey? Keep clutching at your straws to defend this mess. Thanks for the laugh.:LOL:
I just refute your claim. " it didn't have these terrain tiling issues."
I empirically proved that there were. Will they be bigger, smaller? it makes no difference. his statement was wrong.
No my friend thanks you for the laugh.

Last edited:
Should probably have layered the new "stamp system" over the old generation system, with different gradients of power for the old system to alter the heights based on gravitational forces.

Then it'd get the new "hand crafted" stuff, without losing the old variety as it'd be bluring between them and the same stamp would look totally different in different planets.

I just refute your claim. " it didn't have these terrain tiling issues."
I empirically proved that there were. Will they be bigger, smaller? it makes no difference. his statement was wrong.
No my friend thanks you for the laugh.

I think the joke is on you. I never claimed. " it didn't have these terrain tiling issues." You're obviously quoting that line from someone else, so don't attribute it to me, thanks. And your argument is still weak, for the reasons I mentioned previously.

Should probably have layered the new "stamp system" over the old generation system, with different gradients of power for the old system to alter the heights based on gravitational forces.

Then it'd get the new "hand crafted" stuff, without losing the old variety as it'd be bluring between them and the same stamp would look totally different in different planets.
Brigand from Chaos Engine. Nice avatar! 😁

I was always Navvie.

I was always Navvie.

Chunky cannon boi.

1623411465003.png

I've seen a lot of these repeating patterns out in the black, really shows up when the planet has bio sigs. I've also spotted the big terrain chunk at the beginning of the thread, as it looks very much like a map of the Falkland Islands. Nice to see them commemorated across the galaxy.

Think I've also spotted the outline of the gulf of Mexico a few times.

Perhaps the "Stellar Forge" is just being run by Slartibartfast on his own, as the rest of the Magratheans have gone back into suspended animation to wait out the Covid crisis and it's effects on demand for custom planets.

So, where to now explorers? I'm unsure if No-man's sky will ever be good enough as its planets don't move and its ships are not really simulated, being little more than a moveable camera they are toys in comparison to Elite's ships. You may laugh but, i've played a game called Valheim that has nothing to do with space, but its randomly created maps have been a joy to traverse. I'd recommend it if you're at a loss.

So, where to now explorers? I'm unsure if No-man's sky will ever be good enough as its planets don't move and its ships are not really simulated, being little more than a moveable camera they are toys in comparison to Elite's ships. You may laugh but, i've played a game called Valheim that has nothing to do with space, but its randomly created maps have been a joy to traverse. I'd recommend it if you're at a loss.
I'm an explorer and I'm very happy with the new planetary tech. Sure need be fixed some things. But very happy indeed

If I had those horizons problems. I have already shown several captures in this thread with repeating patterns.

Really, can you be any more disingenuous. While we're showing Terrain, repeating in sizes of hundreds of metres to hundreds of kilometres, you show instead what amounts to little more that textures, in the 10m range.

And I remind you that what I said is not my words. Dr. Ross said, and I quote, "For Horizons, that terrain is generated entirely mathematically. There was a lot of effort put into representing the kind of shapes a hill or canyon makes, just using maths."

Would you like to call Dr. Ross a liar?

Really, can you be any more disingenuous. While we're showing Terrain, repeating in sizes of hundreds of metres to hundreds of kilometres, you show instead what amounts to little more that textures, in the 10m range.

And I remind you that what I said is not my words. Dr. Ross said, and I quote, "For Horizons, that terrain is generated entirely mathematically. There was a lot of effort put into representing the kind of shapes a hill or canyon makes, just using maths."

Would you like to call Dr. Ross a liar?
What u see in the horizons examples? are that pattens or not?

You can keep doubling down on your disingenuousness as much as you like. What you're showing is not the issue being highlighted in this thread. You can white knight and try to misdirect people as much as like, but your attempts are laughable, as others have already pointed out.
For me it was already enough that his original reaction to that youtube video had to be removed from the thread. Also I can't help but notice that the screenshots are from a Horizons beta. So I would like to see them still being present. Either that, or the poster just admitted that EDO is a beta, too.

Top Bottom