New Planet Tech is KILLER of Exploration (all terrain is tiling/repeating/not procedural/random)

From explorers point of view, it's a pity that planets themselves have received so little love in general. I'd take better gas giant and unlandable atmospheric planet texturing over space fungus scanning any day.
I'd hope (hah!) that non-gas-giant unlandable planets haven't had any changes because they'll have to change anyway when they become landable. I won't get my hopes up.

From explorers point of view, it's a pity that planets themselves have received so little love in general. I'd take better gas giant and unlandable atmospheric planet texturing over space fungus scanning any day.
NGL, I bought it for the pretty planet. I knew it would be a buggy mess and a content island with a cheap FPS slapped on. And I don't even have that.

Now, I'd like people to carefully watch the steam trailer. Notice how everytime we see a landscape, the star is very low on the horizon. It's always dawn or sunset. A technique used to "blur" the details, and give more depth to a landscape. Makes everything a lot prettier. When it's not dawn/sunset, you get a dude's bottom and can't see much.
The only time they don't, is in very short shot (less than a second), when they attack a base.

Even planet views are more than half in the dark, and very close.

I think they were already fully aware. It didn't come as a surprise.

Now, I'd like people to carefully watch the steam trailer. Notice how everytime we see a landscape, the star is very low on the horizon. It's always dawn or sunset. A technique used to "blur" the details, and give more depth to a landscape. Makes everything a lot prettier. When it's not dawn/sunset, you get a dude's bottom and can't see much.
Agreed. Noticed the same in the game and in the screenshot thread - best screenshots are shot on the solar terminator. Reminds me of prevalence of ring system shots in Horizon. :)

It's hard to find a video of some larger area when sun shines perpendicular to the ground, but it just looks bad.
Like an old game.
AND everything looks... flat.

nlcxGu5P92Sg4VAxKCHakd1df-lVEFXN9lzufSe4Efg.jpg

4674121288_3f4e612361_b.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. Noticed the same in the game and in the screenshot thread - best screenshots are shot on the solar terminator. Reminds me of prevalence of ring system shots in Horizon. :)
Not really dishonest though. Landscape photographers generally don't go for pictures taken in the middle of the day - sunrise and sunset make things look prettier in reality too, so a trailer trying to look good will probably pick those locations, and would've done even if the planet generation worked to perfection.

It's hard to find a video of some larger area when sun shines perpendicular to the ground, but it just looks bad.
Like an old game.
AND everything looks... flat.

nlcxGu5P92Sg4VAxKCHakd1df-lVEFXN9lzufSe4Efg.jpg
There is a big difference between mid day (no shadows) and sunset/sunrise (heavy shadow). The difference lie in the multiple hours between the 2. Which might be why you struggled to find a proper picture.
Not really dishonest though. Landscape photographers generally don't go for pictures taken in the middle of the day - sunrise and sunset make things look prettier in reality too, so a trailer trying to look good will probably pick those locations, and would've done even if the planet generation worked to perfection.
A normal days is not sunrise->mid day->sunset. You have morning and afternoon to.

As I mentioned, there are only 2 times the trailer is taken not in sunrise/sunset, and the shot doesn't even last a second. We have lengthy landscape at the terminator though.

OK, I have something.

They allegedly reworked lighting.
BUT
it seems like only areas with medium to high light exposure are somehow better.

The MOST important and broken "blackness/darkness" of any shadow areas is exactly as bad as before.

In other words, they "fixed" the least broken range of lighting.

Contact support ? We can't help much, really.
Really?
I was counting on some moral support.
Like "you probably have some real world stuff overdue that you will be able to do now, while waiting a week for FD to do something"
:ROFLMAO:

NVM, Apex managed to make a jump instead of flying back to exclusion zone after 3rd try.
AI is getting better :sneaky:

Really?
I was counting on some moral support.
Like "you probably have some real world stuff overdue that you will be able to do now, while waiting a week for FD to do something"
:ROFLMAO:
The state of the game thread is the current moral support. That one is not^^
And I mean, odyssey is quite buggy, they would need a hotline to be able to offer enough emotional support for everyone :)

Top Bottom